Wadia 9xx series

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Hi Roysen,

I wonder, how your experience with the 9series has evolved - I was at times sorely tempted, but somehow missed the time window to go for a GNS 9xx series - how does it compare?
egidius

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi Egidius,

When I first decided to send my GNSC statement modified Wadia 270SE, 931 and 921 combination back to GNSC for updates and upgrades it was mostly because Steve and I thought one of the 921 had a damaged power supply and produced no output. We were not sure the problem was with the 921 though, so the whole combination had to be sent. Since a major power supply upgarde to the 921 was availble from Wadia which brought the 921 to full 922 version, Steve checked for me if he tought that upgrade would be worth while since the GNSC Statement modification already was a major power supply upgrade to the 921. Steve reported back that yes, he tought it would be worth while and that this upgrade probably also would include removing the damaged parts in the damaged 921 in the process saving money because then no repair would probably not be needed.

I also told Steve that he hoped he would voice the combination a little differently improving on two aspects I thought could be improved. At that time the combination had a fantastic midrange and midbass. It easily reproduced the human voice better than any source component I had heard, sometimes giving my problems hearing that the voices was not in my room coming from a real person. Dynamics, soundstaging and resolution were also very good and overall it was the best CD-player I had heard easily besting the Goldmund Eidos Reference and Zanden 2000P/5000S I also owned. One aspect I heard room for improvement was the bass. It was not as tight and controlled as I thought it should have been. There was powerful bass in spades but it was a bit fat and therefor also a little overpowering and unresolved. The other aspect I thought could be improved was the upper octaves. They were a little too soft and anonymous for my taste. This gave the impression of a sound lacking a little in top extention and air while also softening the upper octaves transient attacks.

When Steve had identifed that it was a damaged power supply in one of the 921 and had upgraded both 921s to 922 he wanted to have a discussion with me before sending the combination back to me. Steve knew that I was interested in trading in my 270SE with the upcoming 971 when that would be released and that I also would be interested in the anounced SACD upgrade to the 931. At that time Wadia had anounced that the 971 would use the Esoteric VRDS-Neo VMK-5 transport mechanism and that it would be SACD capable. An USB-input upgrade was also planned for the 931. Since I live far away from Minnestoa and shipping costs back and forth would be costly we decided that Steve should hold on to my combination and let me know when the 971 and 931 upgrades would be available and then perform the upgrades and buy the 971 with GNSC Statement modifications. Steve would accept my 270SE as trade in and I bought Black Gate capacitors from him to reserve for the 971 GNSC statement modification.

Time went and these upgrades and the 971 took years to complete. At the begining of 2011 Wadia finaly released the 971 and to my big disapointment Wadia had changed the spesifications. The transport mechanism was not from the Austrian company Streams Unlimited and there was no SACD-compatability. So the anounced SACD-upgrade to the 931 was also dropped. Steve performed the GNSC statement modification to the 971 and told me the U-upgrade to the 931 was very close. So again I waited. After a while I decided that I didn't want to wait anymore. I could always send the 931 back for the U-upgrade later. I had however found out that a new upgrade to the 922 power supply upgrade called the SC-upgrade now was available. So I ordred this upgrade from Steve. I had also read about the new Bybee Power Rails which Jack Bybee released to the market about the same time as Wadia released the 971. Steve promised to try them out to find out if they would be worth using. After a while he answered that they were very good and that he would install them in all four components in my Wadia combination.

One of the new inovations in the 971 was a new patented powerline filter based on Neodymium magnets. On new 931 and 922s this filter is installed but not on my older versions. So Steve also installed this powerline filter in my 931 and 922s and then shipped the entire combination back to me. When the combination arrived at my home the 971 had been damaged during transportation by Fedex. So unfortunatly the the transport mechanism had to be changed. Since Wadia no had anounced its relocation and most of its staff had been let go it was not easy to find a new replacement mechanism. So Steve had to use his resources to find a transport elsewhere. He managed to find one a no extra cost to me and shipped it to me with instructions on how to do the replacement which I got a local service shop to do for me.

First impression when I turned it on was "WOW", this was different. What stood out right away was a fantasticly firm and resolved bass. The warm and fat bass was replaced with a dry and controlled bass. This was a huge improvement. Secondly the upper octaves was much more extended and open. The frequency response seemed much more linear across the entire frequency range. However the midrange and midbass magic from before the upgrade was now not as apparent and there was a slight hard edge to the upper midrange.

As time has passed and I have burned the combination in this hard edge has gone away. The presentation is now very different from what it was before I sent it away. The transparency, resolution, extention (both up and down) and dynamics are without peer to my ears. The midrange and midbass magic I had before is now revealed as being an elevated area in the frequency response. Now it sounds completely linear. The background is much more quiet too. All in all I have received a combination which is a big step closer to being transparent to the source than when I sent it away. Like I said before - this is the one to keep. It's the best I have heard by a long shot.

I have not been able to do the comparsisons I wanted to yet, but I have several contenders for the very best waiting in the wings:
Burmester 069
MBL 1621A/1611F
Goldmund Eidos Reference as transport with Goldmund Mimesis 20H D/A Converter
dCS Scarlatti full four component combination
Esoteric P-01VU, G-0Rb, D-01VU
Soulution 745
Orpheus Labs Privelige Transport/DAC Mk.II
CH Precision D1/C1
Metronome Technologie Kalista Ultimate SE/GTE Audio Trinity DAC Mk.II
APL HiFi NWO Master

I also want to compare the Wadia combination which I now have used directly connected to power amplifiers with my Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 preamplifier between the Wadia combination and my power amplifiers. I will keep you updated.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
WADIA SC / u / SACD

Hi Roysen,

Thanks for your extensive answer - indeed you and I must have received about the last two items before Steve had to prioritise: My S7i has returned in January from updates (SC) and like you I had my misgivings with the missing SACD, or even now, with the missing 24/192 specification, that I encounter as a musician increasingly often.

But like your unit, mine has decidedly improved, and I like it a lot! Currently I have a prototype of a BOW technologies ZZ8 III, which is all but in packaging like the forthcoming ZZ9, including a usb input. I am not yet there to make viable comparisons, but will do so probably in June, when leisure returns ;-)

So, happy quandering!
All the best, Egidius

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi Egidius,

I can not verify this at the moment but someone on Audiogon owning a GNSC modified Wadia component claims to have called Wadia and received a verification that they will service GNSCS modified Wadia components in the future. I have also learned from Steve earlier that the new Wadia technical cheif officer is working on a new 24/192 chipset for the 9-series including the forthcoming USB clocklinket input circuitry. Rumours are also circulating that this new USB input circuit will include analog inputs and a A/D converter for those inputs.

Do you know what the SC upgrade is exactly? All I know is that it is an upgrade to the power supply of the and I assume from the letters SC that is in relation to the Swift Current technology.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I called Wadia about the warranty, and the service tech is extremely professional as well as friendly.. Steve Huntly use to work for Wadia, and has always kept a good relationship with them, mutual admiration if you will. I use to own a Burmester 089 and a close friend a Burmester 069 w/ power supply. Both , IMHO, are not as engaging as my Wadia GNSC S7i Statement. There is just a little more detail and less romantic tube like sound, and of course that famous Wadia slam in the bass. Thank-you Roysen for your post, most enjoyable. Waia is also working on the new 24/192 chipset for the S7i. The S7i already has a usb port, but I do not know if it will be upgraded ( edit-yes it will). I must also add the Austrian transport is a joy to use and built like a Panzer tank. I was devastated that Steve had to shut down. I bought my S7i only because of him. Steve also heavily modded an Esoteric transport for Mike at Precision A/V, which incidentally have received numerous best sound of show awards.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Egidius,

When I first decided to send my GNSC statement modified Wadia 270SE, 931 and 921 combination back to GNSC for updates and upgrades it was mostly because....

... As time has passed and I have burned the combination in this hard edge has gone away. The presentation is now very different from what it was before I sent it away. The transparency, resolution, extention (both up and down) and dynamics are without peer to my ears. The midrange and midbass magic I had before is now revealed as being an elevated area in the frequency response. Now it sounds completely linear. The background is much more quiet too. All in all I have received a combination which is a big step closer to being transparent to the source than when I sent it away. Like I said before - this is the one to keep. It's the best I have heard by a long shot.

I have not been able to do the comparsisons I wanted to yet, but I have several contenders for the very best waiting in the wings:
Burmester 069
MBL 1621A/1611F
Soulution 745
CH Precision D1/C1
APL HiFi NWO Master

I also want to compare the Wadia combination which I now have used directly connected to power amplifiers with my Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 preamplifier between the Wadia combination and my power amplifiers. I will keep you updated.

GREAT POST!!! Enjoyable read.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Burmester 069
MBL 1621A/1611F
Soulution 745
CH Precision D1/C1
APL HiFi NWO Master

If you can, i would respectfully add the Stahl-Tek Vekian to the list...they have a new Opus level which i have not heard...but the original Vekian is the first digital to make me think of replacing the Zanden. I care about and respect detail (DCS Scarlatti full stack)...but the mighty DCS despite its obvious supremacy of clarity, detail, extension and noise floor, did not make me want to give up the tonal purity/magic of Zanden. The Vekian has me thinking about it...and i only have heard the original from 2011, not the Opus which apparently is quite a bit better.

krell_man

Dec 16, 2011
Egidius,

What is this "SC" upgrade that you're talking about? I haven't been keeping up with current happenings at Wadia.

Thanks,
Chuck

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
OK. See below.

Last edited:

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Hi Egidius,
Do you know what the SC upgrade is exactly?

..LOL same here, no idea: But Steve recommended it. You don't actually see it mentioned anywhere, so even the naming might be wrong, but its supposed to be new output "current converters"
He is a truly great help! I wish him all the best in his new endeavours.

@Roysen: RE usb..yes I heard something like this too, but the analog inputs is news to me.
I was prepared to wait for it, but things had to be done in January, for understandable reasons.
e

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I called Wadia about the warranty, and the service tech is extremely professional as well as friendly.. Steve Huntly use to work for Wadia, and has always kept a good relationship with them, mutual admiration if you will. I use to own a Burmester 089 and a close friend a Burmester 069 w/ power supply. Both , IMHO, are not as engaging as my Wadia GNSC S7i Statement. There is just a little more detail and less romantic tube like sound, and of course that famous Wadia slam in the bass. Thank-you Roysen for your post, most enjoyable. Waia is also working on the new 24/192 chipset for the S7i. The S7i already has a usb port, but I do not know if it will be upgraded ( edit-yes it will). I must also add the Austrian transport is a joy to use and built like a Panzer tank. I was devastated that Steve had to shut down. I bought my S7i only because of him. Steve also heavily modded an Esoteric transport for Mike at Precision A/V, which incidentally have received numerous best sound of show awards.

..Well: If at all possible, I would keep the thing. Just too good.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
If you can, i would respectfully add the Stahl-Tek Vekian to the list...they have a new Opus level which i have not heard...but the original Vekian is the first digital to make me think of replacing the Zanden. I care about and respect detail (DCS Scarlatti full stack)...but the mighty DCS despite its obvious supremacy of clarity, detail, extension and noise floor, did not make me want to give up the tonal purity/magic of Zanden. The Vekian has me thinking about it...and i only have heard the original from 2011, not the Opus which apparently is quite a bit better.

There are probably several other options I should have added to that list to compare with the Wadia to find what is truly the best option on the market. However I do not have the oportunity to get hold of the Stahl-Tek for comparison. The same applies for the new Accuphase DP-900/DC-901, the Meridian 808.3, the new Jadis Calliope/JS-1 and possibly the 47 Labs Pi-Tracer/Kondo Onagaku KSL DAC.

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
There are probably several other options I should have added to that list to compare with the Wadia to find what is truly the best option on the market. However I do not have the oportunity to get hold of the Stahl-Tek for comparison. The same applies for the new Accuphase DP-900/DC-901, the Meridian 808.3, the new Jadis Calliope/JS-1 and possibly the 47 Labs Pi-Tracer/Kondo Onagaku KSL DAC.

Seems like there is a new "best" digital every month now. Maybe you can throw GTE on the list as well. But in listening to the Wadia 9 series, it leaves me wanting absolutely nothing more. The illusion is complete. I don't need to compare, I no longer wonder.

Roysen, you'll need to trust me on this one, but if you add a Tripoint Troy, a Tripoint Orion for your digital, and NVS Silver 1 power cables for the Orion, DACs, and transport, your system will do things people will claim to be impossible. If you go with the Bocchino connector, though, they are a tricky fit on the Wadia because of the recessed plugs. The Orion should be made with a 15 amp inlet because Bocchino only makes a 15 amp plug. Start with the 2 Tripoint products and 1 NVS PC for the Orion and you'll see. It still has me scratching my head in disbelief.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi Robert,

The GTE is already on the list I first posted. I am sure it will be one of the best but as you also wrote I am also pretty sure the Wadia combination will be on top. Any other outcome would surprise me.

I do want to incorporate a Tripoint Audio duo in one of my systems if they can be ordered with European Schuko connections and 230V operation. Which is better Orion or Spartan? Would you prefer the NVS power cords over Tripoint Audios own Thais power cord which would have been my first choice. I am not sure the Tripoint duo would be used with the Wadia combination though. I have always had a thing for the Shunyata/Wadia combination and will probably conbine my Wadia combination with the new Shunyata Research Hydra Triton and the new Shunyata Research Powersnakes zTron Anaconda power cords.

I do have a question in regards to the Triopoint Audio Troy ground conditioner though. Maximum components that can be hooked up to the Troy is nine. That is not enough for me. If I were to use a Tripoint Audio Troy in one of my sytstems I would need to at least tripple the amount of connections available in one Troy. I also assume that since Troy is a component establishing a common ground for all the connected components, it would not be a good idea to use more than one Troy without connecting them together to establish a common ground amoung the Troy's in the same system. Do you know how this could be solved?

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
Hi Robert,

The GTE is already on the list I first posted. I am sure it will be one of the best but as you also wrote I am also pretty sure the Wadia combination will be on top. Any other outcome would surprise me.

I do want to incorporate a Tripoint Audio duo in one of my systems if they can be ordered with European Schuko connections and 230V operation. Which is better Orion or Spartan? Would you prefer the NVS power cords over Tripoint Audios own Thais power cord which would have been my first choice. I am not sure the Tripoint duo would be used with the Wadia combination though. I have always had a thing for the Shunyata/Wadia combination and will probably conbine my Wadia combination with the new Shunyata Research Hydra Triton and the new Shunyata Research Powersnakes zTron Anaconda power cords.

I do have a question in regards to the Triopoint Audio Troy ground conditioner though. Maximum components that can be hooked up to the Troy is nine. That is not enough for me. If I were to use a Tripoint Audio Troy in one of my sytstems I would need to at least tripple the amount of connections available in one Troy. I also assume that since Troy is a component establishing a common ground for all the connected components, it would not be a good idea to use more than one Troy without connecting them together to establish a common ground amoung the Troy's in the same system. Do you know how this could be solved?

The maxium number of Oyaide spades on the Troy is 12. Miguel can build 2 cables and connect them into the Troy by one Oyaide. The Bocchino spades are twice as thick as the Oyaide, but your may even get 3-4 cables connected to one Bocchino spade. Miguel says you cannot run the cables serially - each needs to go to the Troy. I would speak to him for options. You can consider separating your digital from your analog by 2 different Troys, but personally, I would just figure a way to get them all on one.

I've not heard the Orion, just the Spartan. Comparing the Spartan or Orion to Shunyata just makes no sense. I've had the Shunyata Hydra II with the Wadia, and the Tripoint power conditioning is entirely differerent and totally unique. If you went with Orion, it would give you the advantage of physically separating your amps from your digital by room location. Since all my stuff is between the speakers, it does not matter for me. The Orion has 4 receptacles, which would be enough for 4 Bocchino plugs because each housing covers 2 plugs. I have Bocchino plugs on both sides of both PCs feeding the Spartan, and the one on the transport. For the DACs, I have female Bocchinos but modified male Furutech connectors so I can get both DACs into one receptacle.

Before settling on NVS, I've listen to Thais, Elrod Gold, Stage III, and Dream State. It was not a difficult decision. My NVS are shielded into the Troy, which makes it even more refined and cohesive. There is extreme synergy between the Wadia - Tripoint - NVS combination. The NVS feeding the Spartan at least doubles the effect of the Spartan. Whatever PC you choose to feed the Spartan, you will immediately understand what the PC does including it's weaknesses. Speak to Nathan at NVS - he's heard my system and is very familiar with what the Wadia and Tripoint bring to the system. I've not heard another system that puts you in front of the performance with no barriers. I hear no noise, no haze, and no sluggishness. Yet, the presentation is totally cohesive and natural - no hi-fi sound effects. The system is so highly resolving that this natural sound is the most fragile part of it. For example, if I switch one Hifi gold fuse for one Hifi Supreme fuse, it sounds mechanical and no longer interests me. It's crazy, but I cannot deny my behavior when listening to different components and tweaks.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I use Sound Application Reference to get SOTA A/C filtration/conditioning. Jim just came out with the SA-1 to great reviews. From Norm Luttbeg of Stereo Times,

"Apart from my BMC electronics, the Sound Application SA-1 has added the thrill of realism to my music enjoyment. Although it is expensive, if you can give it a listen, hopefully with it in the system and without, I strongly recommend you do so. It is the most dynamic and transparent AC filter, I have heard." MSRP is $14K.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Robert,

Do you know the retail prices of the Tripoint Audio Troy, Spartan and Orion?

Thanks,
Roy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing