BitPerfect on OSX

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
A couple of years ago a strong hype was created on ComputerAudiophile.
It turned out to be Amarra, the first app offering automatic sample rate switching on OSX
But obvious their initial price tag (900,) was a bit too optimistic.

A year later PureMusic entered the field at $129

Now you can buy BitPerfect, gives you automatic sample rate switching for $5.49
http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hype? On CA? Surely you jest!? But everyone who paid for Amarra still hears a difference...in sound stage...it's always sound stage...

:)

Tim

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
But everyone who paid for Amarra still hears a difference...in sound stage...it's always sound stage...

:)

Tim

While this was not an Apple/Amarra test, the soundstage issue is correct for what I heard when listening to a well done music server for the first time.

As I have stated elsewhere, a number of months ago, I was subjected to a blind test I did not know I was taking. There were four combinations I was listening too, but thought I was listening to three: Complete dCS Paganini Stack, complete dCS Scarlatti stack, my Qsonix music server into the Scarlatti DAC and (the unknown to me at the time), a Sound Science Music Vault Music Server (The Diamond) into the Scarlatti Stack. Between the three I thought I was listening to, I struggled to hear much, if any difference, but every once in a while, I would hear one of the combinations that not only had a larger sound stage but the spaces between the instruments was much more defined. I could tell every time when that combination played (though I had no idea what I was listening to). It turned out to be the Music Vault into the Scarlatti stack.

I'm not a believer in wire differences, power cord differences, nor any of the "crap" that is sold as high end audio (I have no strong feelings on this subject :p). But I picked this combo out every time blind. (no, they may not have been level matched to within .000000001db -but then again they could have been). Was it a perfect blind test? Probably not. But I heard what I heard and I had no clue before the fact what I was listening to.

Thad said, the whole sound stage improvement of well done computer based music servers may be the real deal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing