Constellation Audio TAS review

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to admit I enjoyed the technical description of this latest best-in-the-world (according to TAS, that is) line of electronics. The rest of the review was... ahem... as predicted. Let's see what others think...

I would invite Damian Martin to discuss more of this intriguing design... especially those light-sensitive resistors in the volume control and elsewhere.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I yawned after skimming the review. 200k separates just have no place in audio imo, but that's a separate issue.

putting a bunch of separate mosfet amps into 1 big box didn't seem that innovative to me. maybe i read it incorrectly. the volume control seemed really cool

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
the volume control seemed really cool

Indeed, but LDRs are everywhere; I wanted to see what more there is in the devices they use and how they compare with metal-film resistors, as LDRs are not really very high quality, in general... feel free to correct me

Revel Salon 2

Mar 10, 2011
Sherbrooke, Quebec Canada
So now we have a new champion...remember when it was Halcro (when Kharma was king.....),Soulution,Balabo, Technical brain....when will it stop ? in the review Harley says he wish the amp put out deeper bass...at this price I would expect the bottom end to be well covered...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So now we have a new champion...remember when it was Halcro (when Kharma was king.....),Soulution,Balabo, Technical brain....when will it stop ? in the review Harley says he wish the amp put out deeper bass...at this price I would expect the bottom end to be well covered...

Yeah, who likes a bottom end that isn't well covered? Seriously, if this monster (both price and size) doesn't have a good bottom end, it's fatal flaw time. This is worse than Fremer saying that you can't expect a $3K cartridge to plum the bottom octaves. Now Mikey is back at it again in the latest SP with his review of the Dr. Frankenstein table. The table sells for $8k with no tonearm and doesn't plumb the bottom octave either. Mikey said it's "a tradeoff easy to endorse at this price." Really.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yeah, who likes a bottom end that isn't well covered? Seriously, if this monster (both price and size) doesn't have a good bottom end, it's fatal flaw time. This is worse than Fremer saying that you can't expect a $3K cartridge to plum the bottom octaves. Now Mikey is back at it again in the latest SP with his review of the Dr. Frankenstein table. The table sells for $8k with no tonearm and doesn't plumb the bottom octave either. Mikey said it's "a tradeoff easy to endorse at this price." Really.

Now Mark, that first sentence can be interpreted in many ways :) Depends who's wearing that skirt ;)

OTOH, I can't remember the last review where the reviewer questioned the ability of a top ss amplifier to plumb the depths. Could you imagine someone saying a Krell amplifier lacked balls? And I have to say, the better the bottom end, the better the imaging, sense of space and harmonic integrity.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...in the review Harley says he wish the amp put out deeper bass...at this price I would expect the bottom end to be well covered...

Agree...i read with great interest and then noted that comment, too...a surprising comment and a disappointment. At this level, you expect someone to be able to say "no compromises"...only superlatives, with the primary caveat being one of personal taste/flavor/relative value for money, etc. It's akin to having a 200K speaker which only rolls off below 40hz.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Interesting what the reviews said because when I heard the amp at the recent Cali Audio Show played through Magico Q5's the sound was magnificent but both Ron Party and I said that the sound would have been better with some subs

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting what the reviews said because when I heard the amp at the recent Cali Audio Show played through Magico Q5's the sound was magnificent but both Ron Party and I said that the sound would have been better with some subs

...and there you have it...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Now Mark, that first sentence can be interpreted in many ways :) Depends who's wearing that skirt ;)

OTOH, I can't remember the last review where the reviewer questioned the ability of a top ss amplifier to plumb the depths. Could you imagine someone saying a Krell amplifier lacked balls? And I have to say, the better the bottom end, the better the imaging, sense of space and harmonic integrity.

Not to mention---70k/piece amplifiers that weigh like 300 lbs with multiple 1500 kva transformers in each.

I think bigger bass ala Krell can trick audiophiles into "it's better." Dynamics are easy for most to discern, unlike nuance.

The interesting thing is that Harley said it sounds SET like in nature. i would have to hear that to actually believe him.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Tidal sells a 50k monitor---interested Mark? lol.

aln

Feb 24, 2011
Is it just me, or does Harley sound like he is writing ad copy for the manufacturer. That is what, to me, distinguishes his writing from HP's. HP's writing always informs the reader of the relationship between the music and the component under review. It is a shame that HP does not get the top speakers for review anymore.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing