Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard Yannick and the Philadelphia Orchestra perform Mahler's 7th at Carnegie Hall. All I can say is, I have no idea why that building, built in 1891, is still standing. Yannick blew the freaking hinges off the doors. The encores lasted over 10 minutes. ( I saw M7 played at Lucerne 2 years ago with Petrenko and the Berlin. I am honestly not convinced they played the same piece of music!!)

IMG_1795.jpg

M7 follow-up

A bit of orchestral trivia. A friend of mine who plays trumpet (and who has played w the Philadelphia Orchestra), heard M7 in Philly 2 days ago and called it a once-in-a-lifetime concert, much like the way I felt after hearing it in Carnegie last night. One reason why is the following. The principal trumpet position is currently vacant in Philly. What the top orchestras often do for vacant positions is "borrow" principals from other orchestras for major performances, which is what Philly did for M7. They "borrowed" Esteban Batallan from the Chicago Symphony for their M7 performed in Philly on April 11, Carnegie last night, and again in Philly for the next 2 nights . Batallan is considered among the greatest of all-time trumpet players. In the last movement there is high C after high C and he nailed all of them with power rarely heard. Here is a facebook from Tony Prisk, the 2nd trumpet in Philly who said the following about Batallan (on the right):

Batallan.png

No wonder last night felt electric at Carnegie. If I could, I'd go to Philly to hear it again tonight but I'm hearing Beatrice Rana performing Rach 2 tonight here with the NY Phil at Geffen Hall. (All I'm trying to do is catch-up to Ked for concerts attended this season ;) )

M7 follow-up

A bit of orchestral trivia. A friend of mine who plays trumpet (and who has played w the Philadelphia Orchestra), heard M7 in Philly 2 days ago and called it a once-in-a-lifetime concert, much like the way I felt after hearing it in Carnegie last night. One reason why is the following. The principal trumpet position is currently vacant in Philly. What the top orchestras often do for vacant positions is "borrow" principals from other orchestras for major performances, which is what Philly did for M7. They "borrowed" Esteban Batallan from the Chicago Symphony for their M7 performed in Philly on April 11, Carnegie last night, and again in Philly for the next 2 nights . Batallan is considered among the greatest of all-time trumpet players. In the last movement there is high C after high C and he nailed all of them with power rarely heard.

Living in Chicago, I'm fortunate to hear Esteban Batallan regularly. The principal trumpet chair at the CSO is named for the legendary Adolph (Bud) Herseth. Esteban is a worthy successor to Bud Herseth. He was pleased when I said that to him at a dinner last year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing