Better ....... or Just Different

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have spent a fair amount of time in the last 4 or 5 years listening to different speakers, all (for the most part) in the sub $30,000 price range. The initial purpose was to make an educated decision for my own purchase but eventually to determine how much one had to spend to get a speaker that was better in every single category than any other speaker in this general price range (approximately $10,000 to $30,000). Included in this list were my existing Dunlavy SC-VI’s; Maggie 20.1’s, Wilson speakers below the Maxx, Seaton Catalysts/SubMersives, Vandersteen 5’s, Avalons, Dynaudio, top of the line Aerial, Salons, and a few others I can’t remember. I did listen to the two larger Wilson speakers as well (the latest incarnation of the Maxx and Alexandria) but I will assume from the results I heard, that room setup must not have been optimal (even though I heard them both in multiple dealers/venues) since they would not have passed my criteria either. Given the rave reviews from all who have visited our fearless leader and his Alexandria’s, apparently in the right room with the right electronics they would pass my test. So does that mean that in order to be better in all categories the speakers I listed, I need to spend $150,000 on speakers and another $150,000 on amps?

When I say “every single category” I am taking about everything that we obsessed audiophiles drool over: imaging in all three dimensions, sound stage scale, mid range clarity, articulation, and transparency, bass extension, mid bass impact, upper frequency air and extension, blah, blah, blah !! Everything !!

My conclusion: Not one of these speakers was better in every single category than any of the others. Some had better midrange, others better imaging, others better midbase, some had better speed, etc.

So how much do I have to spend to get “better” and not just “different”. Based upon some additional auditioning, in my opinion, one really needs to go way north of $50,000, and even then, the “in every single category “ can be problematic. A friend has a pair of Magico Q5’s that are one of the very best speakers I have heard but even they won’t plunge the far depths of the low end.

At the most recent Axpona in Atlanta, I did get to hear the newest version of the Scaena and while I did not spend hours and hours listening, it seemed as though they might be a contender – but they are quite expensive. Importantly, they were in a room larger than any home environment listening room, so how much of what I heard was due to the fact that the room was so huge?

I have no answer but I’m curious about the observations others have on the concept of “better or just different” in regard to speakers.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well I think you've done a great job summarizing one of the most vexing issues in high-end audio: Is it 'better' or just 'different'? I think it's a tough job because 'better' is by definition 'different' but 'different' is not always (?rarely) 'better'. I believe many people never develop your insight. Usually the knowledge is bought at a price of a few sideways moves. I suspect this is a major source of dissatisfaction in our hobby as people chase better, only to end up with different; poorer and not much wiser.

A few things have helped me get off the treadmill. First, I go to more live music. The more you hear, the better trained your ear to judge whether a component is 'better' or 'different'. Secondly, find friends who are like-minded, familiar with your system/taste, and most importantly, willing to give an honest assessment. (Hopefully gently!) It certainly helps to have friends who can act as 'BS' detectors. Next, in-home demos are mandatory. I know that this may limit the range of available equipment, but OTOH, you can't demo everything. I'd much rather narrow down my choices and hear them in my room, in my system, with my music. Finally, choose a component like its the last one you are ever allowed to purchase. That doesn't imply 'paralysis by analysis', rather it is meant to bring focus to decision making. I think the idea of constantly changing equipment makes it impossible to develop a long term reference. You will always have 'different' but IMO, rarely 'better'. Warren Buffett famously said "We believe that according the name ‘investors’ to institutions that trade actively is like calling someone who repeatedly engages in one-night stands a romantic." I believe the same applies to audio and if you buy the best you can afford, it only hurts once. However, the best you can afford does not necessarily imply the most expensive.

So to answer your specific question how much do you have to spend on speakers to get better and not just different? My answer was <$13k for Daedalus Ulysses speakers with all poly crossover option. But that only applies to my room, with my system, with my unique (some might say peculiar) tastes. I can say that other than my cartridge and tonearm, every other piece of equipment in my system was more expensive than the speakers. I am thrilled with the results after auditioning several speakers, many of which were more expensive than mine. Please note that in no way do I think that the Ulysses are the best for all systems. Mike Lavigne's Evolution Acoustics MM3's are 'better', especially in his SOTA room, but they'd 'worse' in my room which would be overwhelmed.

To wind up this lengthy harrangue, I would say you've done the heavy lifting by developing an understanding that you are looking for better, not just different. If you know what defines 'better' for you and have a good idea of your budget, you'll end up with a great long-term purchase. Don't sweat it and have fun!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The only speaker that got me off the treadmill are the EA MM3's. I have no desire to change....

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I think the only loudspeaker

that will displace the treadmill is a full-range plasmatronics :D:cool:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I would just say that at this price point not considering the speakers as being part of a system, and looking at that as a single entity could be pretty disasterous. I remember at a well regarded dealer listening to big Wilson's, Maxx I think they were, hooked to top of the line mbl amps and front end. Disasterous, vicious sound! I said to the sales chappie, smiling blithely, seemingly oblivious to the auditory mess, "sound seems not quite right", and he responded, "Yes, the Wilson's need to be correctly set up first", and I silently thought, "Yes, in an open field about 2 miles from here" ...

Frank

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have spent a fair amount of time in the last 4 or 5 years listening to different speakers, all (for the most part) in the sub $30,000 price range. The initial purpose was to make an educated decision for my own purchase but eventually to determine how much one had to spend to get a speaker that was better in every single category than any other speaker in this general price range (approximately $10,000 to $30,000). Based upon some additional auditioning, in my opinion, one really needs to go way north of $50,000, and even then, the “in every single category “ can be problematic.

Trying to definitively best speakers in the 10K-30K range probably does mean one needs to go at least 2x the price. While some manufacturers price differently than others...i have observed that manufacturers price where they can optimize profit...which incorporates competition. So to absolutely clear the field of competition at 10K-30K, something a couple of price ranges higher is probably a fair observation.

Personally, i prefer to go back to older speakers s/hand. For the price i paid for my second hand X1/Grand Slamms there is absolutely nothing in the new category that touches them. for my pocket and my ears, the best of both worlds.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
One of our East Bay BAAS members (Smokester) uses the Dunlavey SC IVa's . His greatest concern with them is that the drivers and crossovers were tuned with each other and there are no drop in replacements. As far as sound goes, the way he set them up, I would say you would have to spend a LOT more to do better, they are really great sounding speakers with his analog setup.

A lot has to do with room size and room/speaker tuning. In the old days, what you bought with expensive speakers was the ability to play very loud and still sound good, with more to be heard with increasing volume i.e. dynamic capability and the ability to image something resembling the live, dynamic event. It is probably much the same today. Big speaker, big room, big image, clean dynamics=expensive.

Is it necessary to spend boo-hoo money, if you are interested in only sound and not just Rolex status? I don't think so, but it is probably the infinite loop of irascible, wrathful and annoying fate that one might have to hear and/or own a variety of very expensive systems before acquiring the skill/expertise to set up a great sounding inexpensive system.

My interest is in a KIND of sound that I have acquired over years of listening as an audiophile, not always expensive but more than a bit elusive to achieve. Some things just are going to cost, and others, as usual, can be cheap if you know what to look for and how to look for it.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
One of our East Bay BAAS members (Smokester) uses the Dunlavey SC IVa's . His greatest concern with them is that the drivers and crossovers were tuned with each other and there are no drop in replacements. As far as sound goes, the way he set them up, I would say you would have to spend a LOT more to do better, they are really great sounding speakers with his analog setup.

I can understand that. I still have my Dunlavy VI's and driver replacement could be a key issue. But in my room, they are a phenomenal speaker. The Seaton Catlaysts/SubMersives do "some" things better than the VI's and because they still have available parts, I will probably keep them and sell the Dunlavys (which at 550 pounds each is a bit problematic). As I noted in my original post, in order to get "better" everywhere, I need to spend well above $50K which I have no interest in doing.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
<snip> I need to spend well above $50K which I have no interest in doing.

Not a given ...

I have also heard many(most) of the speakers you mention in your original post... I have also reached very similar conclusions. One thing though, I am now more than ever convinced that subs (more than 2) are essential in obtaining the best bass in virtually all rooms, regardless of the intrincic low-bass capabilitties of the main speakers, reduced VLF is no longer a deal-breaker. Integration with mains is an issue, but IMO worthy of the time and efforts it seems to always take. I don't see myself going north of $50K (MSRP) for a speaker system either... As for $100K and above electronics to drive any speaker....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
50G's for speakers? 100G's for components? Man, that's 3 years salary! What do you guys do for a living to even consider this? (crawls back into hole or hustles back to servant's quarters). LOL!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
50G's for speakers? 100G's for components? Man, that's 3 years salary! What do you guys do for a living to even consider this? (crawls back into hole or hustles back to servant's quarters). LOL!

You have to find a sugar momma!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Let's suppose you find that elusive speaker, will it make you enjoy your music more?

EDIT: I ask the question as I think those who are "gear audiophiles" approach upgrades in a very different manner than those who are "music audiophiles".

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Let's suppose you find that elusive speaker, will it make you enjoy your music more?

Great question and the answer is NO. I raised this more to understand that (for me and my ears and listening priorities) in a fairly broad price range, you don't get better, you get different. I have discovered that, as Frantz points out, well integrated bass in a moderate 2 or 3 way speaker (in a good room) can provide incredible musical enjoyment.

While at Axpona, I heard a couple of systems/room that were mind boggling. But when I got home and turned on some music, while it was obvious my system was not in the league of what I heard, it was way more than "good enough" to enjoy music.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not a given ...

I have also heard many(most) of the speakers you mention in your original post... I have also reached very similar conclusions. One thing though, I am now more than ever convinced that subs (more than 2) are essential in obtaining the best bass in virtually all rooms, regardless of the intrincic low-bass capabilitties of the main speakers, reduced VLF is no longer a deal-breaker. Integration with mains is an issue, but IMO worthy of the time and efforts it seems to always take. I don't see myself going north of $50K (MSRP) for a speaker system either... As for $100K and above electronics to drive any speaker....

Frantz: I'm in total agreement on the subs issue. (I have 4 of them). But since you say it is not a given that one needs to spend at least $50K to outperform the speakers on my list, I would be interested in what combination of mains and subs, properly integrated in a good room will outperform in every category the speakers I listed. And at what price point?

(Remember that a speaker coming apart/breaking up at high volumes is part to my list of requirements). As an example, my Dunlavys don't perform anywhere near as well as the Seaton speakers in that regard.

Apparently, the infant child of the Evolution Acoustics MM3's (the Micro One?) are well regarded so, in theory they could be integrated with a great sub(s) and provide, great music. But how well would the Micro do at really high volumes? My bet is not very well.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Audioguy,

I don't like much the idea that a more expensive speaker is automatically better. What it might have is more potential. Potential is a tricky thing though. I moved my system from a room far from ideal into one that is very quiet and very well balanced. The change in room actually made things more difficult. I just turned the corner today. That's 10 months of setting up and dialing in everything from electricals, physical positioning and if you would believe it, the rake angle of the painting up front so it would reflect above and not at the listening position. The only real change in the equipment list was in cabling.

The question is, how far is anyone willing to go to maximize the potential? The true waste is to get something that costs an arm, a leg and perhaps a kidney on the black market and not pay attention to the little stuff. All the little stuff adds up. How can we truly enjoy a super speaker if we can't get rid of the hum from our turntables? In a quiet room and sensitive speakers, that little hum isn't little anymore! Things like this can be viciously maddening!!!!!! BUT we can get back what we put in. It took Steve months to dial in his subwoofers. It took Bruce to do a ground up build. It took Jeff to do the same. It took Mike some pretty big changes on his Rives designed room. It took me serious work on the electrical systems.

I guess what I'm saying is, no loudspeaker can be better if it isn't put in an environment right for it. The higher the potential for excellence, the greater the potential for disaster. I don't think spending three, four, five times the cost of existing speakers (which in your case are no slouches by any stretch) and expect it to be better in every respect from the get go is realistic. Like I said, what you have isn't some crap speaker from a big box store. I'm not surprised at all that you'd find different but not better. To get THAT, one has to be prepared to deal with what comes with the potentials of higher SPL capability, frequency extension, what will likely be broader dispersion patterns, higher resolution that will show the good (signal) with the bad (noise and distortion).

Just my 2 cents. Didn't mean to be preachy or anything. The last 10 months have been a roller coaster ride. It's paid off but it had it's hellish moments. I just don't want anybody to think that any of us who've gone this deep into things got results by purely throwing money at our problems because anybody that follows suit thinking that will be in for a lot of disappointment. I hate the idea of anybody burning out so this reply is not directed at you in particular but anybody who happens to read this thread who might be thinking of going full bore.

Peace!

Jack

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Here I am speculating.

Let's take a speaker that has been all the rage in the Audiophile press: The Magico Q3. Many think it lacks bass, not having heard I can't comment on its bass performance, I can however say that this complaint came from a variety of quarters, I am willing to believe there are some truth to that. It seems to go low enough and even very low but there seems to have a lack of visceral impact to its bass ... Else it does many things extremely well, including dynamics shadings and sheer loudness... Combining this Q3 with say 3 Paradigm subwoofers (2 Sub1 and One Sub2) would have brought the system slightly overr $50K and provide the kind of bass that most main speakers this side of the Genesis 1 can't even dream of plus of course the smoothness of Low FR and nodes-mitigation advantages of the multi-sub approach .. There could be other combination, say a Magnepan 3.7 with the same subs for a little over 20 K or a CLX with the same 3 -subs ... Or The JL Audio Gotham and two others (lesser) JL Audio... Going for mains whose dynamics are good to excellent (and of course all the rest of enchilada) and use excellent subwoofers with my eyes on the cash-o-meter.. I think these days one can challenge the SOTA at less than $50k in real, street price, actually at around $20~25K, with the help of subwoofers.

I would like to see some of the reviewers on this list tackle such a project. For example would like to read what the CLX would become with such an arrangement.. CLX plus 3-subs or the MG 1.7 and 3.7 plus 3 -subs ... Little YG (KiPod?) with 3-subs... etc. There are of course some issues, limiting the amount of bass getting to the (some) mains could help them deal better with power compression but it's getting more complicated . Let's leave it there.. Full Range Mains plus 3-subs ... :) Total less than $50K.. What do you think Jeff ? ;)

P.S. The Paradigm Sub 2 are $7500 MSRP each and the SUB2 $3500

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Didn't mean to be preachy or anything.
Peace!Jack

No one is more convinced than I about the value of a great room (and DRC as necessary) , great power, room treatments, etc to maximize the potential of any loudspeaker system. While my room is far from perfect, it is more than good enough to be able to hear the differences between components (at least those that actually exist). But that said, it still, apparently, costs a lot of money to get "better" rather than "different". A lot.

And that was a bit of a surprise to me.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
No one is more convinced than I about the value of a great room (and DRC as necessary) , great power, room treatments, etc to maximize the potential of any loudspeaker system. .

I've always said the better the room, the less you'll need to spend on speakers/equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing