Best Converter / Ripper to WMA

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
I am in the process of building my digital archive and I have decided that the file format shall be WMA. Now, I would like to ask for opinions and sharing of experiences on which is the best converter or ripper of CD audio in to WMA. I am currently comparing dbpoweramp and Itunes. Does it matter? Is there any difference in sound quality depending on the converter / ripper you use?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Most rippers do a good job today.
When using iTunes check you enable secure mode.
dbPoweramp has an extra.
After the ripping it can calculate a checksum and compare this with the AccurateRip database.
This gives you the option to compare your results with the results of others and therefor enable you to verify the accuracy of your rips.
dbPoweramp also is a very fast and reliable format converter.
For tagging dbPoweramp uses 4 different sources including AMG
iTunes use Gracenotes only.
In case of troublesome CDs dbPoweramp might yield better results.

Bit more detail can be found on my website: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/Ripping.htm

WMA comes in many flavours. I assume you rip to WMAL (Lossless).

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
Thanks Vincent for your guidance. I have observed in some of my CD rips using dbpoweramp that the accuracy was only less than 10% when compare with the AccurateRip database. What does this mean?

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
Yes 10..... and after reading the info on the link you provided, now I understand ..... 10 means:

The rip had no detectable errors and agrees with 10 other people (they have ripped the same track and had the exact same result), an agreement from AccurateRip ensures an error free rip.

All the while I thought that the ripping was only 10% accurate. So, unless Accuraterip reports an error in the ripping then the result would be error free.

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
I am using WMA lossless (WMAL)

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
How about Exact Audio Copy? Is it at par with dbpoweramp and Itunes in ripping to WMAL?

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
EAC is the other Mount Everest of ripping software.
It is free.
Ripping quality like dbPoweramp
Common complain is that it is hard to configure.
Meta data support limited (probably FreeDB only)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing