Hi-rez to Redbook and back again ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i will say, i am very happy with well mastered 16/44. i have listened to sacds...not always really felt it was that much better than well-mastered 16/44...which is consistent with what some people have said...all being equal the formats will reveal a difference, but much more difference is actually driven by the mastering job not the playback format.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i will say, having re-listened to them in a quiet room, i do like Track 2...but agree that it is difficult to tell them apart...and clearly many other things matter much, much more (particularly on a laptop). interesting test...thanks!

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Track One (1) is the culprit, although when I heard them through my decent AudioEngine 5 desktop system it was my fave! :( Likely due to my inexpensive soundcard having less work to do? Dunno. When I sent them to my main rig and had one of my kids rename them randomly I picked out the upsampled a little easier...it has significantly less air and a harsher leading edge (which on piano can sound good/more lively in some systems IMO). However, it still sounded damn good, Bruce. :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, was there any difference between track 2 and 3?

As ted_b said, they all sounded damn good. Who's the pianist?

Tracks 2/3 were exactly the same.. except that I had to shorten each track at different lengths as not to give any clues.

The file was down/upsampled using the Apodizing filter in Pyramix.

Pianist is Leonard Shure

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think that in spite of a bit of switching equipment in the signal chain, and a whole lot of post-study protest on the internet, Meyer and Moran got this one about right.

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I couldn't tell them apart with ABX testing, but playing the whole track, I preferred track 2 the most and track 3 the least. Track 1 was "easiest listening".

Tracks 2/3 were exactly the same.. except that I had to shorten each track at different lengths as not to give any clues.
As Tim would say, what does that tell us about expectation bias? Or maybe you had a swig of good stuff inbetween? :)

Frank

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I don't know about expectation bias because I was expecting Bruce to pull one like this. After listening, I pulled the tracks into Audacity and had a look at the spectrum and saw that 2 and 3 were the same. May be because I played it in sequence every time, track 3 was always the 3rd track I listened to, and I grew to like the track after the first play, then got bored on the 3rd replay.

Like I admitted, I couldn't hear a difference with ABX testing. As expected, Bruce did a great job with the resampling.

Now...... if he had down-rez'ed it to 16bit, and then extended it back to 24bit using various dither algorighms..... do you think that anyone would hear a difference?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I don't know about expectation bias because I was expecting Bruce to pull one like this. After listening, I pulled the tracks into Audacity and had a look at the spectrum and saw that 2 and 3 were the same. May be because I played it in sequence every time, track 3 was always the 3rd track I listened to, and I grew to like the track after the first play, then got bored on the 3rd replay.
Which very neatly dovetails into my comments about motivation levels in the ABX thread ...

The one thing ABX is guaranteed to do, is to NOT demonstrate the audibility of subtle variations in sound quality, from where I stand. Nuff said ...

Frank

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Track One (1) is the culprit, although when I heard them through my decent AudioEngine 5 desktop system it was my fave! :( Likely due to my inexpensive soundcard having less work to do? Dunno. When I sent them to my main rig and had one of my kids rename them randomly I picked out the upsampled a little easier...it has significantly less air and a harsher leading edge (which on piano can sound good/more lively in some systems IMO). However, it still sounded damn good, Bruce. :)

Funny...i had a similar experience. i was listening in a crowded room on a laptop at low levels. While Track 1 seemed easier to hear, i preferred Track 3. Upon re-listening in quiet room onlaptop, i thought Track 2, then 3 then 1. So a toggle between 2/3 and then 1. But i wonder if the laptop was part of the listening experience in that it struggled to download the files and i heard a lot of music "clipping" every half second or so where the music would stop (streaming?).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing