Man does not live by audio alone!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Last night I was messaging Rich Nelridge about his Ampex RTR project and in the same time proofing my sourdough dough. Just thought I would post some photos of the baked sourdough loaves.

I grew up in the Bay Area and remember all the great bakeries, Larraburu,Parisian,Royal to name a few. I can't get any bread like it anymore,so I bake my own. The bread is the same as Larraburu's "dark bake"

I use Pendleton Power high gluten unbleached flour,sourdough starter,spring water,half and half,sea salt and olive oil.

I love baking this bread as it is all natural and I use no commercial yeast. One of the great things about the City was it's fantastic sourdough. I'm lucky enough that my Dad always made sure there was some on hand.

Larraburu Brothers bakery

http://www.outsidelands.org/larraburu.php

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Ohhh, those look tasty! I bet it makes your house smell great too.

My dad and and Uncle said they could smell it getting out of the car on my driveway this morning,great stuff,nothing like fresh bread.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
actually yours looks much better. Now if you start baking them in all of the animal and fish shapes that Boudin's does you'll be really onto something

I can only imagine what those custom brotforms cost. If you think it looks better than Boudin's, you have made my day. It does taste great though I must admit.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
They look yummy Roger.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger
can you share the recipe with us as well as baking time and temperature

Steve,

The best web site on sourdough is Northwest Sourdough.

http://www.northwestsourdough.com/techniques/first-loaf

I use only Pendleton's Power or Big Spring flour. You can buy a 25lb bag at cash and Carry stores.

a necessary item for great sourdough is the starter,only use King Arthur's, you can order some on the web for about 6 dollars.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/classic-fresh-sourdough-starter-1-oz

You will need a brotform and a bread scoring lame

http://www.brotform.com/zencart/ind...oducts_id=37&gclid=CJ_KrOOj1KkCFQdvbAodjRpGMQ

A Lodge cast iron multi pan is essiantial for great artisan bread baking.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Cooker/dp/B0009JKG9M

use the basic recipe on Theresa's web site.

I use about 1040 gr of flour sifted once
14 oz water
4 oz half and half
2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups starter

I combine the starter,water,half & half in the mixing bowl,stirring. Sift the flour and add all but about 1 1/2 cups. mix by hand with a stiff plastic spoon. then with your mixer on low with the mixing paddle attached mix for about 2 minutes. Let stand for about 20 minutes. This is the Auto-lyse which builds the glutens. Then take the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and stir in the 2 tsp of salt. Add to the rest of the dough and mix for about 1 minute,also adding in olive oil. Then remove the mixing paddle and replace with a dough hook. Mix for about 1 minute more. Do not mix for more than 5 minutes total.
the dough should be a little sticky,but not enough to not come out of the bowl with a scraper or rubber paddle. If consistency is too sticky add a little flour maybe a tbsp. If too dry add water very sparingly about a ounce at a time. I usually have the dough where there is a little dry flour at the bottom of the bowl and add a small amount of water so most of the flour is combined with the dough on the hook,then the hydration is about perfect.

With the dough on the board or stone counter with your dough scraper form into a large somewhat ball. If the dough sticks sprinkle just a little flour on the board. Need for abut a minute and the place it in a large plastic container and cover.

You will stretch and fold the dough three times in about the first 3 1/2 hours. S&F the dough like a letter fitting into a envelope. Depending on the tempeture the bulk fermintation will take about 6 hours at room temp. I usually start about 1'oclock in the afternoon.

When the bulk fermentation is done, dust the counter and scrape out the dough from the container, with your scraper form into a large ball and then "punch" down the dough with your hand pressing it down. then divide the dough into 2 equal parts,use a weight scale.

Then take one dough mass and fold into a tight ball ,with the smooth side of the dough up continue moving your hands underneath and form a tight bolle. Let stand for 5 minutes and then re-tighten the bolle again. Dust your brotform with flour and also sprinkle a little corn meal around the bottom of the brotform. Scoop up the bolle with your dough scraper and flip it into the form with the smooth side on the bottom of the form basket. Let bench rest for 20 minutes. then cover with glad wrap and place in refrigerator overnite. I use a bar refrigerater set a 42 degrees.

in the morning 6:30 place the 2 doughs on the counter at room tempature to finish proofing. The dough will be ready when with your finger makes a indentation and springs back , about 2 hours.

At 7:30 preheat your ovens to 475 deg. with the lodge pan in the oven. You will need a thick leather BBQ glove to handle the pans.

At about 8:30 take the top of the the pan and place on a silicone matt. Then dust the hot pan with corn meal and flip the dough into the pan. then score the dough in a criss cross pattern. With a spray bottle filled with spring water spray the dough. Then with your leather mitt place the pan in the oven and cover with the deep part of the pan. Cook for 15 minutes and then remove the pan cover and spray with water again. Reduce oven temp to 450 deg.

Cook for 10 more minutes and then turn the the bread around in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes. With leather glove remove pan(s) from oven and place loaves on a cooling rack.

The website has really good videos explaining this process. It sounds involved but the 1st time the bread came out about perfect.

Bon Appetit

Just had a piece......glorious!!

Here's a video from the Northwest site. It's very helpful as are all Theresa's videos

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks everybody for all the enthusiastic thumbs up. I always thought that only in San Francisco was it possible to make such bread. If I can make this bread in the high desert, anybody can make bread like this.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hate you guys. You have no idea how hard it is to get decent bread over here. Thanks for the recipe Roger, I can't bake to save my life but my wife is pretty good. I hope she can make this. :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I hate you guys. You have no idea how hard it is to get decent bread over here. Thanks for the recipe Roger, I can't bake to save my life but my wife is pretty good. I hope she can make this. :)

Hi Jack,

For a bread lover I would imagine it would be hell. If your wife is a good cook,she should have no problem. If you can purchase the King Arthur starter that would be a big step. All the rest can be substituted for,just watch the videos on the Northwestern web site.

Thanks for the good words.

As a side note I use this same recipe for Neopolitan style pizza, and the finished dough can be frozen also.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing