Importance of Audio Measurment Revisited

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Importance of Audio Measurements Revisited

Ok, it was a little over ten years ago that I put together this piece on what different high-end audio designers thought about the importance of measurements.

http://www.herronaudio.com/images/Measurements.pdf

After all, High-end audio historians know JGH's leaving High Fidelity magazine over this exact same issue eventually led to Holt's publishing Stereophile magazine and the development of our high-end audio hobby.

So where do WBF readers think about the issue of measurement: 1) Just how important are they to you as a consumer? and 2) Do you actually take any stock in supplied measurements; 3) Has digital made measurements more important? and 4) Are some components better evaluated by measurements than others?

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I enjoy reading the reviews, can't make sense of the charts most of the time.

Measurements are important in understanding some of the perceptions and claims for what the ear hears. For example when I've read reviews of the Messa Barron tube amp or Atma-Sphere tube amps the connection to impedance swings and speaker loads becomes more understandable to my non-engineer mindset.

http://www.presentationmagazine.com/humour.htm

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My answers would be; depends, depends, depends, and depends. Depends on what? Whether the piece sounds good to me. If it does and the manufacturer provides some explanation that makes sense within the laws of physics, I'm pretty happy to attribute the good sound to the supplied measurements.

I figure every manufacturer needs to distinguish his/her products somehow and every buyer needs to make his short list of pieces to audition somehow. I might put a piece on the audition list based on a measurement. The piece still has to pass the audition.

If I've got two pieces that sound either identical or one of those cases where they both sound good, just different, I might buy one and reassure myself with the notion that it measured better in some aspect.

It gets complicated sometimes. You get the case of the manufacturer who publishes measurements and the enthusiast who claims the piece sounds better because of the measurements. It doesn't quite fit with the laws of physics. You point that out and the enthusiast reverts to a subjectivist position that measurements don't matter. Okay, but uh....if they don't, why is the manufacturer staking his deal on those measurements and if that doesn't hold water, now what?

No matter what, your head is connected to your ears.

It can make you hear things that aren't there.

And it can make you fail to hear things that are there.

If we wish to be honest, ears and audio memory are not that reliable, brains are not that reliable, manufacturer's claims are not that reliable, word of mouth is not that reliable.

But, you still have to wade through it all and do the best you can.

And hopefully enjoy the results.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I guess it comes down to the old adage if it sounds good and measures good, it is good; if it sounds good and measures bad, then you're measuring the wrong thing :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And it can make you fail to hear things that are there.

If we wish to be honest, ears and audio memory are not that reliable, brains are not that reliable, manufacturer's claims are not that reliable, word of mouth is not that reliable.

But, you still have to wade through it all and do the best you can.

And hopefully enjoy the results.

One of the big problems in doing listening tests is that short term memory has a limited capacity (Motor learning people hate this analogy but short term memory has limited disc space). There is a problem with the processing of information because of the serial processing, instead of parallel processing. Short term memory processing and skill acquisition can be affected (or listening acuity) by the simple act of talking, not letting the individual have same 30-60 seconds before performing the task. Take a double fake in basketball. If the second move is made w/in 100 ms of the first fake, the defender will be frozen due to the limited short term memory processing capability of the brain.

Second is perception. Perception goes down with central nervous system arousal. An Olympic weightlifter wants maximum arousal but minimal perception because their task is very simple. A pianist OTOH, wants maximal perception with minimal CNS arousal. It turns out that CNS arousal is a U shaped response.

Third, is that interindividual hearing differences swamp out statistic tests. There was an interesting article on this subject in the premiere issue of Scientific American Mind.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great stuff, makes a lot of sense. I've often thought the phenomenon of perception changing with arousal might be due to evolutionary advantages.

May be a good survival skill on some level, but doesn't help with audio.

I've also suspected that this phenomenon may have something to do with the nature of consumer audio reviews.

If you read some of those audio review sites where average consumers review gear, it is very interesting.

Mid level, bang for the buck stuff gets five out of five stars.

When you get to more expensive gear, suddenly you read guys saying that this gear not only isn't to their liking, it's so bad it hurts their ears.

My guess is it does hurt their ears.

I suspect they are auditioning gear out of their price range, the price tag is making them nervous, their perception changes due to arousal and it becomes painful.

I would bet that there is something in their changed perception that is adaptive in a pre-historic environment.

The ears change to become more acute in some areas in order to hear approaching predators while becoming less sensitive to other sounds.

Terrible way to listen to music.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great stuff, makes a lot of sense. I've often thought the phenomenon of perception changing with arousal might be due to evolutionary advantages.

May be a good survival skill on some level, but doesn't help with audio.

I've also suspected that this phenomenon may have something to do with the nature of consumer audio reviews.

If you read some of those audio review sites where average consumers review gear, it is very interesting.

Mid level, bang for the buck stuff gets five out of five stars.

When you get to more expensive gear, suddenly you read guys saying that this gear not only isn't to their liking, it's so bad it hurts their ears.

My guess is it does hurt their ears.

I suspect they are auditioning gear out of their price range, the price tag is making them nervous, their perception changes due to arousal and it becomes painful.

I would bet that there is something in their changed perception that is adaptive in a pre-historic environment.

The ears change to become more acute in some areas in order to hear approaching predators while becoming less sensitive to other sounds.

Terrible way to listen to music.

There's at least one other process at play here--and it may be the most important. It's called adaptation and was identified many years ago by the Canadian endocrinologist Hans Selye. Adaptation forms the basis for understanding how our bodies adapt to different and varied stressors such as resistance training, heat, cold, work stress, sound etc. For insance, if I put you in the Arctic, you wouild shiver for a couple of weeks and enentually your body would adapt to the temperature, by the turning on of certain genes, synthesis of certainl proteins and the resultant neurological and metabolic changes; the same would be true if you moved to the Caribbean.

There's always the ages old question of the "break-in" process with audio equipment is a result of changes in the equipment/parts or the listener gets "used" to the sound. I believe it is both. I think with extended listening (and we know there are certain aberrations as long as they are consistent) that the ear can listen thru and others that the ear can not. I think Ralph Karsten recently talked about the ear's ability to hear into the noise floor but not through harmonic aberrations. Jon Dahlquist used to talk about the ear being able to listen thru a speaker coloration if it occurred across the frequency spectrum, not one particular frequency range on Audiogon.

Ray Kimber once told me that they [Kimber] had been able to document changes in cables occurring during the "break-in" period. I was never, unfortunately, able to get Ray to disclose this "proprietary" data.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ray Kimber once told me that they [Kimber] had been able to document changes in cables occurring during the "break-in" period. I was never, unfortunately, able to get Ray to disclose this "proprietary" data.

I think most of us would have been very interested to see his data on that one

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The cynical angel on my left shoulder wants to joke that the change Kimber noted was the customer's check clearing.

He's a baaaaad angel!

I think stress has to play some part in the break-in phenomenon.

You research like a madman, you audition, you lay out the dough, you hope to heck you made the right decision.

If you bought new, you know the minute you broke the seal and opened the box, the resale value of your purchase
just plummeted like a penny thrown off the top of the Empire State Building.

You might be experiencing a little stress.

A few weeks later, you've made peace with the fact that the money is gone, you've had enough time to relax, holy mother of god, that thing has finally broken in!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have to wonder if the question regarding the value of audio measurements was a serious one or whether it was posed simply to stimulate discussion to a question that one hopes has an unequivocal answer. I am a physician. Medicine is described as a practice that is in part science based, and in part, an art. Sound reproduction, whether it is home audio or audio reinforcement for live performance is similar in that there will always be a technical side as well as an artistic side. Who could argue that certain fundamental technical specifications of the equipment are worthy of knowing? Just to use the most obvious of examples, two of the most basic properties of a speaker are its frequency response and its distortion. I think most users would have at least some interest in understanding these parameters, which can be most helpful in guiding listening or purchasing decisions.

Wouldn't you want to know that your speaker is of a design that has a certain suck out in the 100-200 Hz range due to floor interactions, as many do, so that you can understand if that design is going to work well in your room? Wouldn't you want to know if it has a "polite" dip at 2.5KHz as many from the "British School" do? Wouldn't you like to know if the frequency response is attentuated at the top end, or if it is enhanced, especially if you have no plans on using EQ and the speaker has no tweeter level adjustment? And wouldn't you want to know if your speaker has minimal distortion or 10% distortion at the volume level you normally prefer? These, it would seem to me, are all obvious. Yet the paradox is that this information is often easier to find for many inexpensive speakers, as opposed to those in the categorical "best" class. Want to know this information for a pair of PSB Alpha bookshelves? No problem. Want that information on Wilson Alexandria's, Magico M5's or Gryphon Poseidon's or any other "heavy weight" contender, and the data is mostly non-existent. I can appreciate the logic that its hard for independent firms to test these massive speakers, but I think the manufacturer should make this most basic and fundamental data available to the end user. Frequency response and distortion. Is that too much to ask? I guess so. This does not dismiss the importance and value of listening in any way. But the omission of such basic data is difficult to applaud. OK, enough for one post!

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Marty makes excellent points. I think we can all agree that if measurements show a fault, no subjective evaluation can get around that fault. In that sense, the scientific measurement clearly trumps any other evaluation.

Conversely, in the areas where measurements are inadequate, then using them to prove something is just as bad. To use the same example in reverse, if the spec for a digital transport is simple frequency response, that alone won't tell you anything interesting about its performance.

Therefore, it is critical that one understands the nature of what is measured and whether that measurement is of high or low value. If it is high, it should be end of discussion.

The biggest horror here is if a designer avoided all measurements in creating his product. I can't think of any audio product that would not benefit from some measurements. I was once asking an acoustician what he thought of one of the speaker brands discussed in high-end circles. He paused and said, "they build high quality gear but I am not sure they know what they are doing." Surprised, I asked why. He said he had a high-end project and called the designer and CEO of this high-end speaker company to potentially use his product for it. On the call, he asks for the "RadPat" data. The designer says sure, we will get that to you. Then there is a pause and question: "what is RadPat?" He answers, "you know, the radiation pattern." To his shock and amazement, the designer had no idea what a radiation pattern measurement was! He literally had to explain to the designer of speakers that costs tens of thousands of dollars that radiation pattern measurements are necessary in figuring out if a speaker is suitable for the specific space it is going in. The fact that someone is designing speakers without even rudimentary knowledge of measurements for it, is kind of scary.

Now, per above, it is not a given that measurements given you everything. No company believes in measurements (and blind testing) more than Harman. Revel speakers are liked by many, but not adopted by all. So some of the tricks Marty talks about, might be necessary to move boxes.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great thoughts and feedback everyone!

Some further thoughts. One of the points was trying to get is at which point in the design of a component is the designer happy with the measurements and then begins to "voice" the unit. Let's face it. Part of high-end audio equipment is buying into each designer's perception of what music sounds like. Every design involves some tradeoffs somewhere and it's the designers choices that give every equipment manufacturer a "house" sound to my mind. Everyone has refined their designs but I think everyone knows what I say when the piece has Krell, ARC, cj, etc. sound!

One followup to Marty. Medical research has evolved considerably though. At one point, many studies were anectodal reports (don't see these any more or not very often). Then trials began with groups of patients. Then someone starting asking about statistics and voila...statisticians were called in before the study began to make sure it [the study] was properly set up to show the desired results (how many patients needed to be entered into the trial to show a statistical difference).

And so measurements have evolved. No longer does one see static or single tone tests. People like Keith O. Johnson are always asking questions and searching for better and better measurements that more closely correlate to our hearing. And finding the right measurements that correlate would be like finding the cure to cancer ;)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Frequency response and distortion. Is that too much to ask? I guess so. This does not dismiss the importance and value of listening in any way. But the omission of such basic data is difficult to applaud. OK, enough for one post!

I'm in the John Dunlavy camp here. I would much rather see anechoic impulse response than frequency response since FR can be retrieved from an impulse (through FFT) but not the other way around. Additionally, step response, phase response, polar response would also be helpful.

I believe there are two key reasons why we will never see these (1) many speaker companies are small and do not have the resources to either build or rent a full scale anechoic chamber to do these measurements correctly and (2) they don't want you to know.

When I was in the business of installing SigTech room correction systems, I saw some VERY strange impulse response from some staggeringly expensive and well knows speakers. Tweeter ringing, drivers purposely wired out of phase with other drivers, horrible room response, etc. If I were a manufacturer who was having some success selling my speakers without providing good measurement data, why would I want to show them how really bad my speaker measured and mess up my business.

Just one man's opinion !!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One other thing forgot to add. How many of Stereophile's 80 K or so readers a) Understand what the measurements mean; b) Care about them?. I know a while back JA tried to explain them but they need to update people better on what the measurements are intended to show and why they're done. Their measurements have interestingly revealed problems with some gear in house under review including a speaker with the tweeter wired out of phase.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Lately Audiophiles have been quite defensive on the merits of Measurements. I believe this is due in good part to the usual / current set not relating very well to ALL that we hear. The mistake we, audiophiles, should not make, is that measurements are ALL utterly useless. They are NOT. A quick reading of a speaker FR can tell us quite a bit about its behavior in certain frequency regions as Marty so clearly posted. I have often posted that what we all are enjoying come from Scientific studies, be they tubes SS, Analog or Digital and the results are definitely measurable, maybe not measured but MEASURABLE.
There are several very eloquent posts in this threads, amongst them those from rsbeck. not verbatim but it is true that our ears are connected to our heads and we often hear what is NOT there. Once one has been subjected to a blind test , one often comes out very humbled, often even humiliated. Measurements keep things in perspective, a solid fundamental ground on which to anchor our perceptions that have been proven extraordinarily unreliable (notice I did not say imprecise).

I don't think I 'll use rsbeck gracious euphemism about a "bad angel". I would say to Ray Kimber that if he had been able to measure what break-in does to his cables to prove it. This is happening too often in High End Audio one makes a wild assertion and hides behind proprietary

We need to develop new sets of measurements. I like what someone like Earl Geddes has worked on. I do not subscribe to all that he declares but he has some valid points on our perception of Harmonic Distortion for example or what we need our speakers to do. We need to see similar studies, coming from the our sector.
I will not invoke the excuse of speakers manufacturers being too small to measure. If one were to look on the plethora of DIY forums, one would see tons of sometimes surprisingly good measurements and measuring techniques. let's not fool ourselves any Audio designer HAS to measure something. They make a commercial decision, often if we were to pay attention to some of their measurements we might ask questions, some are really and truly and sound that way too.. We force our mind to accept these for a while then we change, we call it the audiophile itch to change but it is simply disappointment .. I understand the choices designers make but some product are flawed and the flaws touted as choices.. ... Was I off topic ?

IN conclusion , measurements are important. We need study to develop new ones and to correlate these to our perception. In the absence of that we must use measurements , our sense and our logic. if a speaker system is down 10 dB per octave from 8 KHz to 20 KHz please don't tell me it has a glorious midrange .. because that all that's all it is playing ...

Marty, Great post..

Frantz

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
A great thread, lots of good information.

I'm one of the people who need to be educated on what all those charts and graphs mean. However, in the end, I'd rather hear it for myself and let my ears decide.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A great thread, lots of good information.

I'm one of the people who need to be educated on what all those charts and graphs mean. However, in the end, I'd rather hear it for myself and let my ears decide.
When I have more time, I can start down the path of explaining them one by one. Shall we create a new thread for it?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
When I have more time, I can start down the path of explaining them one by one. Shall we create a new thread for it?

Yes, good idea.

I think that I once took the effort to learn the graphs and charts (long ago), but if you don't use that skill often the tendency is to forget it, like a second language.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK will do. I will probably create a thread on each top separately so that discussions can occur after each one as to value, questions about the description, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing