Try to make it work again Studer B62

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I bought another one , fully restored calibrated / 100 % . , incl a external ( tube) tape stage , record and reproduce
And my current one ( incl original case VU meters ) will be updated to 100 % spec .

Studer B 62.jpg Studer B 62.jpg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And to people who laugh at this little thing from the 60 / 70 s wait till you hear it and you laugh no more:) , with original audio cards that is.
And yes i have owned a Studer A 80 RC ( previous page ) , i also have a Telefunken M15 A currently , which plays well but will be checked also when i get the other B 62 back .

Studer B 62.JPG Studer B 62.JPG

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I was in the tapewalhalla today in germany .
Eternal arts audio , picked up my new NOS B 62, it has the original studer case its not the model in the picture.
Bought the tapestage and dropped of the other B 62 and M 15 A for repair check up

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Here is the electrical session sheet for one of the most famous and sought after audiophile recordings, The Arnold Dances on Lyrita, engineered (as all Lyrita stereo recordings were by Decca). John Dunkeley, the recording engineer gave me a copy of the session sheets to include in my FIM Decca book back in 2013. Notice he used two Studer B62's for the recording, done in 1977. Also used Scotch 206 tape at 15ips 2 track. Arnold himself conducted the London Philharmonic. IMG_4220.JPG

Larry

Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
+- 1 db 30 hz - 20 khz ccir calibrated on SM 468 studiotape.
My new B 62 .
The Original box is in very good shape , looks great.
As is the tapemachine itself technically up to date
It s adjusted so it can also play the modern SM 900 tapes .

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Here is the electrical session sheet for one of the most famous and sought after audiophile recordings, The Arnold Dances on Lyrita, engineered (as all Lyrita stereo recordings were by Decca). John Dunkeley, the recording engineer gave me a copy of the session sheets to include in my FIM Decca book back in 2013. Notice he used two Studer B62's for the recording, done in 1977. Also used Scotch 206 tape at 15ips 2 track. Arnold himself conducted the London Philharmonic. View attachment 62177

Larry

Larry, so you re telling me that one of the most famous high quality recordings of all time was ¨ simply ¨ done with 2 mikes on a 2 track stereo recorder??
I assume the second Studer B 62 was only for back up recording .
I never heard ( saw) of multitrack changable headstacks for a B 62 , i think there was a stereo version of the recorder and a mono version .
I will look it up as i have the original manuals from studer

I have now 1 studer B 62 all calibrated / set up for CCIR ( europe ) record /playback , and the other one will be for North american standard NAB.
All on SM 468 studio tape ( archive tape ), it has less chance of print through , keeps a high quality , it was advised to me to do that
Regarding the standards, in this case i dont have to change the small cards on the circuit boards inside the recorder anymore .
Some off these cards didnt have the stickers anymore so i didnt know whether they were for NAB or CCIR

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry, so you re telling me that one of the most famous high quality recordings of all time was ¨ simply ¨ done with 2 mikes on a 2 track stereo recorder??
I assume the second Studer B 62 was only for back up recording .
I never heard ( saw) of multitrack changable headstacks for a B 62 , i think there was a stereo version of the recorder and a mono version .
I will look it up as i have the original manuals from studer

I have now 1 studer B 62 all calibrated / set up for CCIR ( europe ) record /playback , and the other one will be for North american standard NAB.
All on SM 468 studio tape ( archive tape ), it has less chance of print through , keeps a high quality , it was advised to me to do that
Regarding the standards, in this case i dont have to change the small cards on the circuit boards inside the recorder anymore .
Some off these cards didnt have the stickers anymore so i didnt know whether they were for NAB or CCIR

Here is the studio plan of the recording. The famous Decca tree is in the middle with two outriggers and a very few spot mikes. Everything is fed into a custom Decca mixer and mixed in real time at the recording to two channels of the B62. No after recording mixing like most everyone else did. Part of the magic of the Decca sound. John was a protege of Kenneth "Wilkie" Wilkinson and worked with Wilkie from John's start at Decca in the late '60's until Wilkie's retirement in 1980. Wilkie did many of the earlier Lyrita recordings. John was assistant engineer to Wilkie after he joined Decca and then John became a full engineer, doing many of the later Lyrita recordings (as well as many other Decca, L'Oiseau Lyre, etc. recordings). He told me that even after becoming a full engineer, he would often go as assistant engineer on some of Wilkie's recordings.

Larry IMG_4222.JPG

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve been playing high quality tape this weekend .
Tape project, Horch house ,analogue productions, hemiolia
And with this new set up its just as quit as CD .

Dynamics are different then digital it goes from soft to loud in a more natural way.
Very natural and transparent it sounds really good.

Ps i thought i heard the capstan motor at 3 meters distance but it was actually a led light with a fan.
After that is turned of i only see the VU meters of the new tapestage
Nothing can be heard from the B62 the thing itself is dead quit .
Bravo burkhardt / eternal arts audio ,good job

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I had nothing to do at work , so i post some more pics and do something usefull :).
Below also a good picture of the FR response.
This machine did the most ¨ important ¨ on location recordings , the A 80 being to heavy was ¨ just¨ for the studio :cool:

20200301_075734.jpg 20200301_194750.jpg 20200301_194725.jpg 20200301_194713.jpg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Not sure if the Tube tape pre is a stayer , on some recordings i like it and some not , i bought it mainly because it is adjustable and it has VU meters for recording.
Plugged the B 62 in directly via the original audiocards and played the Hemiolia / pavarotti mastertape today , :) ..... tape is the real deal.
The B 62 never sounded better before , my other one still had faults in it .
My other B 62 will be , NAB SM 911 calibrated. record and repro .
I can go in the recording bizz lol .
I have 2 portable machines both calibrated on studio tape , it would be nice to record a choir in a big cathedral here in belgium / holland .:)
Both machines off course equipped with high end stereo mikes , but the mikes( different ) placed at different locations-/distances / heights in the cathedral to learn about the effects it has

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing