Game of Thrones definitely worth watching

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Not sure how many of you are aware of this new series or may had been put off by the idea of it being fantasy orientated.
However after watching most of the current series so far, I have to say this is definitely worth watching as the fantasy aspect is structured well within a medieval background, so it does not swamp the story.
What makes this interesting is the characters that are more like real world people (the script-path a character takes is not cliche and all have good-bad points with repercussions that one would expect in the real world and not a fiction story), on top of this is the background of the politics that are integral to the story.
Adding to this is a healthy budget (around $1to5mill an episode) and some really good actors; Charles Dance, Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage, amongst others.
IMDB rating for the show is 9.5 and this is high.
Also the series is incredibly close to the books created by George R Martin, again can recommend the book even for those who are not fantasy interested due to it being well balanced.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/
And list of books on right side inside box (7 books):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

Hope some take the time to check this series or books out, well recommended.
Oh however one aspect that some may find shocking is the Dothraki and relating to the sex-pillaging-culture, however in the context of what happened in the middle ages and taking barbarian cultures it fits, and while looks like it is added to give some spice to the series actually follows the book closely.
It does not try to gloss over that some aspects in a culture can be dark, and even in people.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I really like the series, but my wife is put off by the violence a bit and thinks it is a "guy thing". She went ballistic when Sean Bean's character was _________.

Seems to be the kind of show where the mostly British Isle (and psuedo-Brit American) actors do what they do best with the combo of period piece and rampant fantasy. Every character is well acted and interesting.

A roiling viper's nest of fate that will be hard to top.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah the violence or more accurate the pillaging and mental abuse of some characters can be shocking, but then we do not live in a rose tinted world and in some ways it is refreshing for a book and its series to reflect truthfully what we prefer to ignore; as a real world example and this is truly shocking try to see Ross Kemp's program Extreme Worlds when visiting Rwanda and the mass rape with maiming and killing that is still going on, it is one of the most shocking and sad modern documentaries that I have seen and yet most do not know this is still happening and help for these people is rare.

That said, I agree for some the scenes-context of the sex and pillaging can be uncomfortable (but nowhere in comparison to the Ross Kemp series I mention above) and it is not excessively graphic (apart from a couple of scenes in the whole series) - Spartacus and even The Tudors have more scenes that are graphic, still I agree it would had been ideal if they had lessened the visual while still maintaining the feel as it will put some off like your wife and I can fully understand there are quite a few who do not want this in a program they watch for entertainment.
They may lose a few viewers who may had otherwised enjoyed the show.

And yeah Sean Bean bah :)
I started reading the books after watching the series and well worth it if enjoy the show, Tyrion is as funny in the books as the show and good acting by Peter Dinklage (the short guy).

Thanks
Orb

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah the violence or more accurate the pillaging and mental abuse of some characters can be shocking, but then we do not live in a rose tinted world and in some ways it is refreshing for a book and its series to reflect truthfully what we prefer to ignore; as a real world example and this is truly shocking try to see Ross Kemp's program Extreme Worlds when visiting Rwanda and the mass rape with maiming and killing that is still going on, it is one of the most shocking and sad modern documentaries that I have seen and yet most do not know this is still happening and help for these people is rare.

That said, I agree for some the scenes-context of the sex and pillaging can be uncomfortable (but nowhere in comparison to the Ross Kemp series I mention above) and it is not excessively graphic (apart from a couple of scenes in the whole series) - Spartacus and even The Tudors have more scenes that are graphic, still I agree it would had been ideal if they had lessened the visual while still maintaining the feel as it will put some off like your wife and I can fully understand there are quite a few who do not want this in a program they watch for entertainment.
They may lose a few viewers who may had otherwised enjoyed the show.

And yeah Sean Bean bah :)
I started reading the books after watching the series and well worth it if enjoy the show, Tyrion is as funny in the books as the show and good acting by Peter Dinklage (the short guy).

Thanks
Orb

It seems that unnecessary graphic sex and violence are a requirement for the cable series these days, even more so than for the R-rated movie. I'm not a prude, but it seems that it goes way beyond what the stories require. But the folks who make these things are pros with serious money at stake. I'm sure they're doing research and meeting the demands of their market.

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well they seemed to have toned it down compared to the book (the book is no explicit kama sutra but it describes the violence and emotions felt), which at times the tv series does not even attempt to convey for good reason IMO as it is more appropriate in a book than a show.
It is not about being unnecessary I feel, but is part of the books narrative on the culture/s-aftermath of battles and its repercussions on innocents, and at times the meaner characters, which then helps to understand other characters behaviour - such as Daenrys who is mentally abused and touched by her older brother that makes her meek until other events happen to shape her, while other's actions shape the events around them - do not want to say too much otherwise I may spoil some of the plotline.
For this book (so also applicable to the show), it does feel that a lot of thought went into the causality of what happens and its effects both on future events and that of general people and also the main characters.

But for some series I agree it seems to have gone OTT such as Spartacus.
I do wonder if The Tudors is what sparked all of this, or possibly the BBC series Rome, both of these are incredibly popular period dramas.
Edit:
Just reminded me, at least in Legend of the Seeker the worst was the women in their dominatrix type leathers and rubber bras lol.
Mmmm Mord Sith :)

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
gonna bump this up to the top as I'm reading the second novel and the show starts up again in April---it's quite boring actually compared to the first which scares me a bit. Only half way in though. Orb, care to comment?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I recently re-read the first 4 straight through in preparation for the 5th which came out last year (after a 5-6 year delay!). There are definitely slow spots in each book, but it's overall a pretty fun series. For me though, there's a bit more suspension of belief required than for some other fantasy books and series. I mean, where do all these armies (and food) come from every 10-20 years, when everything was wiped out by the last big war? How does a world stay at a medieval level of society and technology for 3000+ years? Anyway...

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
gonna bump this up to the top as I'm reading the second novel and the show starts up again in April---it's quite boring actually compared to the first which scares me a bit. Only half way in though. Orb, care to comment?

Heya Keith and sorry for delay in responding - been really busy.

I felt the 2nd focused a bit more on the politics but I must admit I still enjoyed it.
Overall though it is still worth continuing with the books as it builds up nicely with some great plot repercussions that many authors would never do.

Some fans though were critical of book 5; A Dance with Dragons.
I feel though they did not appreciate that George R.R Martin mentioned in the past that this is in reality an extension of book 4 but looking at the other characters not covered in that one.
So these fans were disappointed as they were hoping the plots would be more advanced with book 5, personally I loved the level of detail and this was the only way he could do the two books IMO.

The mention by a few others about it not covering logistics, in the later books it does as it also provides the underlying tones of food stores, army size and sustainability,etc.
But it is not an army book so hope readers do not expect in-depth logistical and strategic battle plans unfolding :)

Those who have read up to book and including book 5; were you surprised with some of the actions and their affects on some of the characters?
I find it quite refreshing compared to many books.

Cheers
Orb

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Orb- I finished Book 2 and the end is solid. But nowhere near the first season.

I will read Book 3 as the reviews are the best of the series, but likely will pass on Books 4 and 5.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Will be interested what you make of book 3.
I must admit I enjoyed the later books as well, cannot remember if Book 4 really hots up the original concept of the North and what is out there in the ice.

Cheers
Orb

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Will be interested what you make of book 3.
I must admit I enjoyed the later books as well, cannot remember if Book 4 really hots up the original concept of the North and what is out there in the ice.

Cheers
Orb

Books 4 & 5 both expand on this. The number of prominent characters being killed off is getting a bit depressing, though.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Those who have read up to book and including book 5; were you surprised with some of the actions and their affects on some of the characters?
I find it quite refreshing compared to many books.

I bought Book 5 but have not read it. :D I re-read Book 1 because the series was coming out and about three quarters of the way through, remembered why I was so mad at GRRM. LoL. He's such a good writer, he draws you in, makes you love his characters... then does horrible things to them and kills them off.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I bought Book 5 but have not read it. :D I re-read Book 1 because the series was coming out and about three quarters of the way through, remembered why I was so mad at GRRM. LoL. He's such a good writer, he draws you in, makes you love his characters... then does horrible things to them and kills them off.

Totally agree with that :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Books 4 & 5 both expand on this. The number of prominent characters being killed off is getting a bit depressing, though.

Well if there was a character called Connor Macleod my money is that he would be the last one standing at the end of the series :)
To be honest I have been gutted a few times with the results of some actions, but then thinking back what happens would fit in very well with actual events.
Most books seem to let the hero and various characters waltz through events without a scratch, real life has serious consequences.
That said this is fantasy writing, but I love how consequences catches up with anyone and everyone in his books and yet stll has some lovely plot-twists.

About the characters, not many can show the beautiful and ugly side of human nature in one book series as he does - fantasy literature anyway.

Anyway we should be grateful there is no Macleod as we would know who survives without reading the last book :)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Not on TV (yet); if you are interested in fantasy a little grittier and perhaps more "realistic" than A Song of Fire and Ice, check out Richard Morgan's "A Land Fit For Heroes", with only two books so far, The Steel Remains and The Cold Command. Like Martin, Morgan is really a science fiction writer now dabbling part-time (I assume) in fantasy.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
show is definitely better than the second book. they can just move so much faster---the other night's episode case in point with Tyrion and his schemes to fool the nitwits. Great season so far.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Agreed,
although it may be a bit confusing for some that two of the four kings are actually brothers who are acting independently, and were related to the poisoned king in the 1st book-season.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing