King/Cello Tape Stage Coupling Caps

John Chapman

Jan 22, 2011
Hello!

I have been still very much enjoying both tape and the King/Cello tape stage. Last week I finally dove inside the box to have a look around. I am a bit embarrassed that I did not open it sooner - on the gear I build and sell I always wanted to put stickers on that read "Warranty Void If This Seal Is NOT Broken" to encourage folks to at least have a peek inside and maybe play a bit with mods, etc.

I popped the top intending to scope out the coupling cap sizes as I had read of folks swapping caps as a mod. Tracing it out is seemed there were 3 coupling caps in parallel at the input and none at the output. The 3 input caps were a 470uF electrolytic and a small film bypass on that along with a 1uF film. Here is the exchange with Charlie slightly edited for clarity and posted with his permission:

From Charlie:
"
The "mid-sized" paralleled cap - probably around 1 ufd is the one I "play with" - of course you can do whatever you like. I put in as large a value I can consistent with it "fitting under the hood". I have fitted close to a 1uf gold/silver/oil Mundorf - haven't tried a Duelund or Clarity or whatever else cap yet - too expensive - but you are welcome to do that and PLEASE REPORT your findings.
"

From me:
"
Thanks for the info. Will play and report back. I have to ask if we need anything from the tape heads? Would there be any DC to block or any other reason to use one there circuit wise? Is there a potential DC offset at the input to the tape stage that could be a problem for the heads maybe? Will report back after I play in any case.
"

From Charlie:
"
Cello started with no input cap but added one later on. With a scope I observed a "switching on" voltage transient which while not severe to damage anything could magnetize the head after a while so i didn't think it prudent to eliminate it. You could try it just demag the heads - or leave the unit on
"

From me:
"
Well I gave myself the day off yesterday or the afternoon off anyway. I had been meaning for so long to dive inside the tape stage but other stuff always seems to fill up the days..... Here are a few notes on stage 1 of the playing:

1- After your later e-mails I thought I may get away with no cap. A quick check revealed that we have about 150mV of dc offset at the input to the circuit. Although the turn on transient you mention could be handled with a delay switch or relay, etc this constant offset would be a problem for the heads I think. It is higher than I ever would want to run our attenuator autoformers for instance. It could be possibly tuned out by playing with supply rail voltage matching but that would be a bit tenuous as it could drift over time so a cap (or some way to isolate the heads) is indeed needed.

2- I put the unit on the Audio Precision here. It was fun to see the tape curve and the phono curve. Tape is a much simpler correction curve - I am sure you guys know this but it was interesting to see. Both channels match very well and THD was very low. It was 0.09% typically but with such small input voltages (1 to 2 mV depending on what I was looking at) that is very good as the noise floor is creeping in big time with only those small signal levels at play.

3- First thing I did was pull the 470uF electrolytic cap and it's small bypass cap on one side. The Cello guys would run circles around me design wise but I have not used polar electrolytics as coupling caps like that (could be that 150mV DC offset is there to bias that cap?) so I was curious how removing it would change things. Also I have always preferred a single decent cap to a nest of various values. Popped it back on the test gear and both sides (with and without that cap) still measured identical right down to 10Hz. This was good. I was specifically watching for low frequency rolloff when reducing that coupling cap but saw none.

4- Next I swapped a 0.47 uF V-cap in that side. These were the only decent caps I had handy. Still measured identical. Good again. Swapped out the other side and all still fine.

I installed it back in the system and one tape later (edit - now several tapes later) it is sounding very good. I am afraid I am the worst guy in the world at making sonic comparisons so I won't even try to compare to stock. Years back I spent a great deal of time making comparisons while designing gear and it burned out that section of my brain..... I will leave it like this for a time and then get used to it before swapping in some mundorfs and maybe the new copper V-caps but will do my best to report on sonics at that point. I am left curious just how low we could go in value - next time I have it out I will play with some smaller values to check that affect that'll have on the curves.
"

End of e-mail exchange.

Anyway - I thought it might be of interest and was also curious what others have found when swapping these coupling caps.

Thansk!

John

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hello!

I have been still very much enjoying both tape and the King/Cello tape stage. Last week I finally dove inside the box to have a look around. I am a bit embarrassed that I did not open it sooner - on the gear I build and sell I always wanted to put stickers on that read "Warranty Void If This Seal Is NOT Broken" to encourage folks to at least have a peek inside and maybe play a bit with mods, etc.

I popped the top intending to scope out the coupling cap sizes as I had read of folks swapping caps as a mod. Tracing it out is seemed there were 3 coupling caps in parallel at the input and none at the output. The 3 input caps were a 470uF electrolytic and a small film bypass on that along with a 1uF film. Here is the exchange with Charlie slightly edited for clarity and posted with his permission:

From Charlie:
"
The "mid-sized" paralleled cap - probably around 1 ufd is the one I "play with" - of course you can do whatever you like. I put in as large a value I can consistent with it "fitting under the hood". I have fitted close to a 1uf gold/silver/oil Mundorf - haven't tried a Duelund or Clarity or whatever else cap yet - too expensive - but you are welcome to do that and PLEASE REPORT your findings.
"

From me:
"
Thanks for the info. Will play and report back. I have to ask if we need anything from the tape heads? Would there be any DC to block or any other reason to use one there circuit wise? Is there a potential DC offset at the input to the tape stage that could be a problem for the heads maybe? Will report back after I play in any case.
"

From Charlie:
"
Cello started with no input cap but added one later on. With a scope I observed a "switching on" voltage transient which while not severe to damage anything could magnetize the head after a while so i didn't think it prudent to eliminate it. You could try it just demag the heads - or leave the unit on
"

From me:
"
Well I gave myself the day off yesterday or the afternoon off anyway. I had been meaning for so long to dive inside the tape stage but other stuff always seems to fill up the days..... Here are a few notes on stage 1 of the playing:

1- After your later e-mails I thought I may get away with no cap. A quick check revealed that we have about 150mV of dc offset at the input to the circuit. Although the turn on transient you mention could be handled with a delay switch or relay, etc this constant offset would be a problem for the heads I think. It is higher than I ever would want to run our attenuator autoformers for instance. It could be possibly tuned out by playing with supply rail voltage matching but that would be a bit tenuous as it could drift over time so a cap (or some way to isolate the heads) is indeed needed.

2- I put the unit on the Audio Precision here. It was fun to see the tape curve and the phono curve. Tape is a much simpler correction curve - I am sure you guys know this but it was interesting to see. Both channels match very well and THD was very low. It was 0.09% typically but with such small input voltages (1 to 2 mV depending on what I was looking at) that is very good as the noise floor is creeping in big time with only those small signal levels at play.

3- First thing I did was pull the 470uF electrolytic cap and it's small bypass cap on one side. The Cello guys would run circles around me design wise but I have not used polar electrolytics as coupling caps like that (could be that 150mV DC offset is there to bias that cap?) so I was curious how removing it would change things. Also I have always preferred a single decent cap to a nest of various values. Popped it back on the test gear and both sides (with and without that cap) still measured identical right down to 10Hz. This was good. I was specifically watching for low frequency rolloff when reducing that coupling cap but saw none.

4- Next I swapped a 0.47 uF V-cap in that side. These were the only decent caps I had handy. Still measured identical. Good again. Swapped out the other side and all still fine.

I installed it back in the system and one tape later (edit - now several tapes later) it is sounding very good. I am afraid I am the worst guy in the world at making sonic comparisons so I won't even try to compare to stock. Years back I spent a great deal of time making comparisons while designing gear and it burned out that section of my brain..... I will leave it like this for a time and then get used to it before swapping in some mundorfs and maybe the new copper V-caps but will do my best to report on sonics at that point. I am left curious just how low we could go in value - next time I have it out I will play with some smaller values to check that affect that'll have on the curves.
"

End of e-mail exchange.

Anyway - I thought it might be of interest and was also curious what others have found when swapping these coupling caps.

Thansk!

John

I would swap those 470uf caps depending on the voltage with a blackgate version,maybe the 470uf 100v ,they bring 100.00 a piece now,but the Cello is 5000.00 so it's all relative.

Also, that 150mv dc offset number seems very high to me and could degrade the sound I would think. Is there a reason for that in the circuit design?

"I put the unit on the Audio Precision here. It was fun to see the tape curve and the phono curve. Tape is a much simpler correction curve - I am sure you guys know this but it was interesting to see. Both channels match very well and THD was very low. It was 0.09% typically but with such small input voltages (1 to 2 mV depending on what I was looking at) that is very good as the noise floor is creeping in big time with only those small signal levels at play."

That 1 to 2 mV is where it should be.

Last edited:

John Chapman

Jan 22, 2011
Roger,

From my testing so far I can't see why we need that 470uF in there at all. I like the simplicity of just a single coupling cap rather than the nest of them and unless I am missing something (quite possible....) then I will just leave it out all together. The frequency response curve was dead on the same with and without it in place.

My guess was that the 150mV offset might have been intentional to bias the polarized electrolytic cap. If there were no offset then there would be no need for any cap at all and if that were the case I would be hard pressed to see why you'd want to use one. I should clarify as well that the 150mV offset is NOT at the input jacks and it poses no danger to the tape heads - the input cap blocks that offset and isolates the heads from it. It is only seen after the coupling cap at the input to the gain stages.

Finally, yes - I was using 1 or 2 mV into the unit to mimic the tape head output (or phono when I was looking at that). That is what I do when testing phono stages here as well. Much more than that could drive the output to it's max signal level on the 50db or 60db gain settings so I was using 40db of gain for all these tests. Actually in my system I run at the 40db gain setting with the tape input all the time as it sits in a nice zone gain wise there.

Thansk!

John

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
John,

Are you measuring the 150mV with the head connected with or without the capacitor? This offset is most probably due to the current (few microamps) of the base of the input transistor going through the input resistor and should be harmless. Only at switch-on and off you can experience problems of excessive current through the head.

Anyway, if you are using an electrolytic capacitor this offset is very welcome!

John Chapman

Jan 22, 2011
Hello!

Steve: Yes - my build also has no output coupling caps. It is the input coupling cap(s) I am playing with.

microstrip: The 150mV is measured on the circuit side of the input coupling caps. It is with no head connected but it is AFTER the input coupling cap - ie the cap isolates this offset from the heads and as a result protects it. I think I had the input shorted at the jack when measuring - usually do that but can't recall for sure if I did in this case. It could be that with no coupling cap in place and the head connected that the offset would indeed get low enough to be no issue. I will test this some more next time I have it open - but that will be a few weeks off with my schedule this next couple weeks..... Maybe someone else will beat me to it.

I would love to not need either input or output caps in the signal path but I want to get a better handle on it before eliminating it. Even a small DC offset over time would tend to magnetize the heads so I would only eliminate it if there was no chance of this. The turn on / off transients are not such a concern since they could be handled in other ways.

Thansk!

John

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Additional thoughts

Here's part of the exchange that John left out:

"I understand your concern about paralleled caps however as you know finding a single one that sounds good, will go down to low frequency AND fit inside are mutually exclusive criteria. Just finished reading both (Bob) Cordell's new power amplifier book and (Douglas) Self's new low-level design book (BTW, both are HIGHLY recommended and fairly easy "reads"). Both Cordell and Self did a lot of measurements on electrolytics; Cordell found that increasing the size of the electrolytic to two or more times the "desired calculated value" reduced measured distortion to the background level of his test equipment, while Self seemed to come down on the side of using BI-polar electrolytics. SO my current (new) tactic is to use "large" bi-polars - new enough that I haven't tried it on any tape pre's (in place of the 470mf polarized), but your measurements seem to back up the large value theory. More to experiment with!"

Oh and Roger D, the price is (still) $3750.

Built up a new battery-powered supply for the "purists" in the room.

Also, finally wired up the quarter-track head in my MCI playback machine so I could also listen to some of those tapes that have been stored for years. WOW - GREAT listening in that format also!

Cheers - and THANKS John

Charles

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's part of the exchange that John left out:

"I understand your concern about paralleled caps however as you know finding a single one that sounds good, will go down to low frequency AND fit inside are mutually exclusive criteria. Just finished reading both (Bob) Cordell's new power amplifier book and (Douglas) Self's new low-level design book (BTW, both are HIGHLY recommended and fairly easy "reads"). Both Cordell and Self did a lot of measurements on electrolytics; Cordell found that increasing the size of the electrolytic to two or more times the "desired calculated value" reduced measured distortion to the background level of his test equipment, while Self seemed to come down on the side of using BI-polar electrolytics. SO my current (new) tactic is to use "large" bi-polars - new enough that I haven't tried it on any tape pre's (in place of the 470mf polarized), but your measurements seem to back up the large value theory. More to experiment with!"

Oh and Roger D, the price is (still) $3750.

Built up a new battery-powered supply for the "purists" in the room.

Also, finally wired up the quarter-track head in my MCI playback machine so I could also listen to some of those tapes that have been stored for years. WOW - GREAT listening in that format also!

Cheers - and THANKS John

Charles

Try stuffing these into your tape preamp...or stuffing your preamp into these caps. Big MF's :)

Dueland caps..jpg

John Chapman

Jan 22, 2011
Hello!

Thanks for posting that info - I did not actually get that section of e-mail exchange here and just scoured my in-box to double check.... My testing so far did not show any sign of low frequency rolloff without that 470uF cap and that is what I expected to see when I yanked it out. Once I get time for another round of checking I will dive in and do some more testing then report back.

I have some 10uF dueland caps around here - I used them to protect a line of ribbon tweeters on a line array here - and although they won't fit inside they would be fun to try anyway. The ones I have are flat copper foil types as I recall and not as wild looking as those ones Myles posted!

BTW - since this coupling cap is at the input to the stage (first thing the signal rides through after the jacks) space is not necessarily an issue - we could locate that coupling cap outside the box at the input to the tape stage and simply wire it in series with the cable from the tape heads. Bit silly but it would not be the first time a diy audio experiment got silly.

Thansk!

John

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Charlie and Rich did finally convince me to try the Mundorf 1.0 mfd Silver/Gold/oil caps on the input of my King Cello. Rich verifyied they will fit ok.

http://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=142&products_id=8390

they should arrive this week and Ki will install them next week when he returns from Asia. i'm curious to hear what they can do.

and.....i did buy an additional tape deck, a 1/2" Studer A-820. i'd been wanting a 1/2" machine and this one is suppose to be very clean and in excellent working condition.

i think i'm only about 40-50 machines behind Ki now.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Charlie and Rich did finally convince me to try the Mundorf 1.0 mfd Silver/Gold/oil caps on the input of my King Cello. Rich verifyied they will fit ok.

http://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=142&products_id=8390

they should arrive this week and Ki will install them next week when he returns from Asia. i'm curious to hear what they can do.

and.....i did buy an additional tape deck, a 1/2" Studer A-820. i'd been wanting a 1/2" machine and this one is suppose to be very clean and in excellent working condition.

Hi Mike
No cap is the best cap, I don't understand what a in put cap for ? if for blocking DC voltage or current, I prefer transformer will do the better job, even in silver wound still cheaper than those expensive cap but sound better
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Mike,

It is nice to see you doing some cap swapping. I think the Mundorf bypass will make a difference. I would probably swap out the e-cap,but either way is fine.

That's good that you now have a A820 1/2" mastering deck, the are beautiful. Mine has developed a glitch in the time code I beleive. I heard that Fred Thall moved down to Grass Valley,that is a little over 1 hour from me. Maybe he can make a house call?

If my numbers are correct yours makes 4 total that different WBF members have,that's pretty good considering there aren't that many.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Me thinks Ki has single handedly caused a shortage of available machines on the used market today :)

I actually have a hankering to try the new Dueland Alexandra caps! Not cheap, but cheaper than their previous offerings!

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_duelund_alexander.html

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi Mike
No cap is the best cap, I don't understand what a in put cap for ? if for blocking DC voltage or current, I prefer transformer will do the better job, even in silver wound still cheaper than those expensive cap but sound better
tony ma

Hi Mike,

I agree with Tony here - a 1 uF cap like this is used in crossover networks. Which cap does it replace in the King Cello? It's way too small for a coupling cap, unless you are going to use it to bypass (in parallel to) a coupling cap in there. If it's to block DC, like Tony says, a transformer might work and sound better.....

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
.....i did buy an additional tape deck, a 1/2" Studer A-820.

Hi Mike,

So, would you now have dedicated 1/4" and 1/2" A820's :confused: I am reduced to converting between formats ;)

Ki...that is all that need be said :cool:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

I agree with Tony here - a 1 uF cap like this is used in crossover networks. Which cap does it replace in the King Cello? It's way too small for a coupling cap, unless you are going to use it to bypass (in parallel to) a coupling cap in there. If it's to block DC, like Tony says, a transformer might work and sound better.....

Tony and Gary,

i must yield to Charlie, Rich and Myles.....who all have related to me that in the particular case of the King/Cello....that a Mundorf 1.0 mfd Silver/Gold/Oil cap on the input sounds much better than 'no cap' at all.

i don't know from 'capacitors' or 'curcuit design' at all. i do understand the concept that 'nothing' might mostly sound better than any type of capacitor, unless it's there for protection of some sort.

we will see.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Tony and Gary,

i must yield to Charlie, Rich and Myles.....who all have related to me that in the particular case of the King/Cello....that a Mundorf 1.0 mfd Silver/Gold/Oil cap on the input sounds much better than 'no cap' at all.

i don't know from 'capacitors' or 'curcuit design' at all. i do understand the concept that 'nothing' might mostly sound better than any type of capacitor, unless it's there for protection of some sort.

we will see.

Actually I've never heard the K/C w/o the cap in the unit :) Charlie played with that after I bought my piece. But Rich has certainly heard it and Charlie was going to bring a unit down for me to hear for comparison! What I felt was the Mundorf ran rings around the cap Charlie was originally using. I might have gone with a Teflon V-cap but the cost was prohibitive :(

Not to put words in Charlie's mouth but as I understand it, the cap is there to prevent DC output. As far as a transformer sounding better than a cap, that's not been my experience in general. And that transformer that might sound better would cost a heck of a lot more than the corresponding cap.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Futterman and E.D. Nunn(Audiophile Recordings) might disagree about transformers being superior. The Futterman originals on the right speaker(Quad 57s or KLH 9s) are simply stunning and lifelike. The Audiophile record label was owned by Nunn and he was the recording engineer and producer. He could afford anything he wanted(heir to Nunn/Bush show empire) and he decided to design his own microphones with line level output and NO transformers. He used these from his earliest stereo recordings(AP-56 Muskrat Ramble) and the famous AP-66 'Yellow Dog Blues'(HP list). Nunn utilized the B&K instrumentation 1/2 inch capsules(a Mark Levinson Favorite as well) and an innovative RF circuit with one tube. There is a fine article in an old TAS about Nunn and his recordings. He was a true American Original, as was Futterman. I now own the Nunn microphones and Charlie and I hope to get them up and running for some recordings this fall.
Charlie should chime in about the input capacitor in the K/C preamp in a day or so. I'm not a tech person, so I'll leave it to him or John Chapman to explain(hopefully in Layman's speak) the need for a capacitor.
A great transformer(big Partridge with Ortofon SPU or Koetsu Rosewood with Cotter/Verion) can also be a way to sonic Nirvana. More than one way to reach that goal....

Rich Brown

Attachments

• IMG_4309..JPG
    IMG_4309..JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 158

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing