FPB 600/c/700cx vs MDA 500 monoblocks

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Hi Guys
Has anyone ever tried a comparison of these big old mono's compared to the big FPB stereo amp?

cannga

Aug 8, 2011
Hi Guys
Has anyone ever tried a comparison of these big old mono's compared to the big FPB stereo amp?

I had Krell KSA 250, then MDA 300, then now FPB 600 (rest of system Koetsu/Lyra, Linn, CJ Phono and Pre, and Thiel CS5i/Magnepan 3.5/Apogee Diva in past, etc.). Following is my purely subjective evaluation.

There is a big difference in bass and soundstage. The FPB sounds warmer, seemingly favoring low-mid bass, whereas MDA 300 seems to favor very deep bass. The MDA 300 because of this reason perhaps has an "ethereal" quality to it. Drum whacks appear to come from deep inside the bowel of the earth -- unbelievably satisfying sometimes. The FPB to me sounds more even, more natural, more accurate. For sure warmer in the low frequency.

MDA 300 has bigger soundstage - wider and may be deeper. Whether this is due to the fact that it's a mono-block, I do not know.

The FPB is an absolute physical monster. Beautiful to behold. The thing doesn't even budge a mm when I push on it. Not that I am a professional weight lifter or anything LOL, but really it's a monster with a monster toroidal transformer inside.

Both amps drive my Thiel CS5i (1.5 ohm in the bass region) without any difficulty. Of the 2, I prefer the FPB because the MDA 300, with less of the mid bass warmth, make the speakers sound even brighter, and somewhat unbalanced. I do miss the MDA 300 dearly though and sort of regretted selling them.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The fact that you miss the MDAA 300s "dearly" is very telling. That means they had something that you are missing now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing