Wadia and power cords.

P.C.

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, WA, USA
I've owned a nice new silver 381 cd player for just over a year now, and am very happy with its performance. I was wondering if any more experienced Wadia owners have any thoughts and experiences of using specific higher end power cords . Have they in your opinion really give a real and worthwhile improvement (taking their cost into account as well) or have changes generally been small .
My general thought is that I should just save my money and stick with my Supra Lorad 2.5 which seems to be working just fine. But would like to here what other Wadia users have experienced.
Thanks Philip. (ps. I have a couple of dedicated ac lines, but no power conditioners)

Last edited:

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've had good luck with power cord changes on Wadia products. Typically I observe a drop in the noise floor which generally results is an improvement in detail retrieval. I've tried Shunyata Pythons (Alpha, not VX) and Transparent (Reference Power Link and Power Link XL MM). Both were good, but I preferred the Transparent cables (more neutral).

I'm a proponent of power conditioning so I would lean toward an investment there before worrying too much about the power cord.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I had Transparent cords on my 270/27ix as well. Too bad I still don't have them.

P.C.

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, WA, USA
I'm a proponent of power conditioning so I would lean toward an investment there before worrying too much about the power cord.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, if rather than power cords which Power conditioner would you recommend I try.
A I have a very simple system. Just the Wadia 381 running directly into a Nagra PSA (pyramid SS ) amp. (Speakers are Harbeths.)
Are there any conditioners with just 2 or possible 3 outputs that work well with both a digital and analogue equipment .
Or with me having two separate dedicated lines already. Would it make more sense to use two single sourced conditioners , such as Purist audio's Single point power conditioner.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks, if rather than power cords which Power conditioner would you recommend I try.
A I have a very simple system. Just the Wadia 381 running directly into a Nagra PSA (pyramid SS ) amp. (Speakers are Harbeths.)
Are there any conditioners with just 2 or possible 3 outputs that work well with both a digital and analogue equipment .
Or with me having two separate dedicated lines already. Would it make more sense to use two single sourced conditioners , such as Purist audio's Single point power conditioner.

It really can go either way and the end result will likely depend on your budget. You'll definitely want a solution that will allow you to isolate the 381 from the PSA, but most good conditioners will provide isolation between banks of outlets. With your amplifier connected you'll definitely want something which won't limit current draw.

I'm currently running a Shunyata Hydra 8 on my front end components which provides 4 isolated banks of outlets. This allows me to separate the S7i from the preamp and phono stage. This weekend I'm going to try a couple of Transparent products (PIR and PIMM) with the analog and digital components connected to separate conditioners.

Right now I'm only really familiar with the Transparent and Shunyata products. Both are very good and well respected. The shunyata conditioners don't include power cords so you'll need to factor that into your budget.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I have wondered about European products? In the states, the Elrod statement power cord is considered non plus ultra, but what about europe?
I am not sure: Wadia recommends no power conditioning.
BTW, mine is also a GNSC, I consider it outstanding.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I just switched from BalancedPowerTechnologies (top of the line unit) to the APS1050 (for my front end) and APS2000 (for my Bryston amps). They are battery backed power re-generators generating balanced and "perfect" 120hz 60cycle power. Not only does the battery offer the ability to run without wall power for short periods of time, but just as importantly, allows momentary current draws that exceed the output of the wall since the battery can supply extra power.

HIGHLY recommended. Excellent sounding.

One of the better investments I have made in my system for a very, very long time!!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just switched from BalancedPowerTechnologies (top of the line unit) to the APS1050 (for my front end) and APS2000 (for my Bryston amps). They are battery backed power re-generators generating balanced and "perfect" 120hz 60cycle power. Not only does the battery offer the ability to run without wall power for short periods of time, but just as importantly, allows momentary current draws that exceed the output of the wall since the battery can supply extra power.

HIGHLY recommended. Excellent sounding.

One of the better investments I have made in my system for a very, very long time!!

Way to go Audioguy!!

I haven been preaching Power REGENERATION for now many years in all Audio Forums that I frequent .. Yet audiophiles remain reluctant ...:confused:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Doesn't the EU have balanced power?

No. In the US, the cooker circuit delivers 230V using 2 phase. In the EU and Asia, it's 230V single phase. The way neutral is tied to ground is also different in the US and 230V land.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
ignorant me.

No. In the US, the cooker circuit delivers 230V using 2 phase. In the EU and Asia, it's 230V single phase. The way neutral is tied to ground is also different in the US and 230V land.

i apologize for outing myself as a complete ignorant: How is it different. And more to the point:
I thought that the Wadia S7i has some sort of power generation inside, or is this just sales talk.

e

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Doesn't the EU have balanced power?

No, we have 230V 50Hz unbalanced. The neutral is connected to the earth at the power station, and we have a mandatory local ground for the ground wire that must be connected at the entrance point in the building.

In some countries it is not legal to have a separate ground for your hifi system or any other appliance - the code states that you should have a unique ground point, accessible for check, for the all electrical system. :(

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a Wadia 6 some years back that benefited from using a Kimber AC power cord as well as Magnan Vi RCA cables a lot!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi P.C. i have used PAD Dominus/Ann Contego Power Cables on most of my system for years. Recently, howver, i got to know a big Audiophile Mark Coles who has developed his own cable design and company which has received very positive reviews from Positive Feedback . i heard Stereotimes might also have it for review now.

The company is called Sablon Audio, and i have now bought 3 of his cables. They are very good and cost much less than PAD. Check out the website. The name of the cable is the Robusto. It is exceptionally good...remarkably good detail, clarity with a focus on very natural tonality in the highs and mids. i thought perhaps if you get one and like it, you will have the PC high-end performance you are looking for with a some leftover money for conditioners, etc. Good luck! and pls keep us posted. (Note: i know Mark but am not affiliated with him in any way.)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Way to go Audioguy!!

I haven been preaching Power REGENERATION for now many years in all Audio Forums that I frequent .. Yet audiophiles remain reluctant ...:confused:

I have previously used the original PS Audio re-generators (on my front end stuff) that were not very efficient but they did work. But these new guys are seriously much much better. I wasn't expecting much improvement over the BPT but was pleasantly surprised. I must have really crappy power in my equipment room and theater.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
sorry to be so persistent: Why does Wadia not recommend Power filters? And What more do I need to do, being in Switzerland, good net and dedicated line???

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
egidius, I think that the problem is that the forum members have realized that may be there is too much of a difference between US and European electricity to make any concrete suggestions. I lived in Singapore and UK, and now live in the US. A lot of my assumptions with power line that I brought from Singapore is wrong in the US. For example, in Europe and Singapore, it is illegal and dangerous to have a separate ground rod for the music listening room. When I was living in Singapore, my condominium building had our own power substation and I had a separate line drawn from that power station with its own breaker and meter just for my hifi system. Here in the US, when my neighbour down the street starts up her hair dryer, I think that I can hear it in my hifi system - even when I have a dedicated line.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Here in the US, when my neighbour down the street starts up her hair dryer, I think that I can hear it in my hifi system - even when I have a dedicated line.
Is that still the case, and if it is, do you have power conditioning of any type in operation? I have certainly found that component sensitivity to power quality to be key, and I have done some major efforts in mimimising that, using passive components ...

Frank

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think that you need far more power conditioning here in the US than you do in Australia. May be that is why there are so many companies selling different power conditioners and power cords :) I use all IsoTek - but they are a UK brand.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
sense!

ah that makes perfect sense; i feel kind of relieved to think I do not need it, when I don't hear a difference.

so i stay with my dedicated line and hope for the best in swiss electricity..
e

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing