New Member - An Italian In New York

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Ciao Guys,

I'm glad to be part of this nice community :)
As from the title, I'm Italian and I've been based in NY for 2 years... My passion for music and high-fidelity (or I'd better say the technology that moves around music reproduction) started 20 years ago and never left me.

Hope to have some fun and relax here!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Had a friend that would go hunting for wild boars but I have never tasted it. How close is it to the domestic pig? I assume it is more gamy. Yes?

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Boar meat is close to pork, but it has a kind of spontaneous spicy taste. It tends to be also a little stiffer, that's why we don't make steaks with it, but we steam it as diced pieces and serve with sauce. Mmmmmmm, I really miss it!
This kind of meat perfectly matches with Sangrantino, one of my favourite wines, because of its intensity (and high percentage of alcool, even more than 13%).
It's a kind of easy to find here Sagrantino: I'd recommend the one from Scacciadiavoli or Caprai. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, that makes sense. Clearly the animal gets more exercise and its meat texture reflects the same. But spicy I did not expect! :)

Must find a new hunter friend :D.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Or just find an excuse to go to Italy for vacation and stop in Perugia or somewhere else in Umbria or Tuscany! ;-)
Now that's the right idea! My only trips to Italy have been for business. Once I had a day free so thought I take a tour. Big mistake. Got dragged into tourist trap after tourist trap. At one point they tour guide dumps us in a jewelry store claiming it was a museum! A bored lady showed up, pointed at an old machine they used to make jewelry, said a couple of words and then get forced to stay in the store for the next 45 minutes!

Bigger mistake was to accept having them include dinner at the end of the day trip. I don't recall having worse food in my life, with stale bread and some other dish I don't care to remember. Got stuck there for almost two hours while the tour guide chatted with his friends there. I asked if I could order from the menu if I paid and they said no!

So yes, I need to go there and do justice to the place....

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I have been to Italy several times and it is one of my favorite countries to visit.

I would live in Tuscany in a heart beat

No doubt about it... anyway, as you live in California, I have to say that its reputation, here on the East Coast, is better than excellent! I must go to California, at least once :)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Steve, I started the med school with the idea to perform pre-clinical research as a profession. So, my training has been mostly in internal medicine and onco-hematology, but in the end I decided to go for a PhD rather than a specialty (in Italy we don't have the combined MD/PhD program).
I'm not excluding to go back to clinical practice (I'm licensed in EU, not here obviously), but for now I still like my job quite a lot. I'll maybe get the steps for the US license, but I have to find the right motivations ;) . I'm working on molecular basis of cell growth and differentiation, trying to find how events related to protein degradation can lead to cancer when they're not working properly.
This is the link to our lab, which I joined 2 years ago:
http://pathology.med.nyu.edu/Pagano/

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
You're probably right, Steve. I suppose it could form the basis for an introduction, though. :)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Actually I've never met our friend Kal, according to your link he works in a different building from mine... additionally, being interested in different fields, I guess we haven't had the chance to meet even at some seminars. Anyway, it's nice to know there's audiophiles around NYU and I'll try to contact him :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing