Somewhat surreal... another great passes...

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Joe Morello (drummer from the Dave Brubeck Quartet) passed away yesterday (3/12/2011) at the age of 82. This in itself isn't unusual as people die every day.

Yesterday afternoon I was auditioning a pair of Rockport Aquila loudspeakers and one of the tracks I played was Castilian Drums from "The Dave Brubeck Quartet At Carnegie Hall." This is a 10+ minute long drum solo by Joe Morello which is one of the most amazing pieces of drum work that I've ever heard. It's been a long time favorite of mine.

I find it odd that I happened to pick this disc and track as it's not really something that I would typically turn to in the context of an audition. I played it as it's one that I really enjoy listening to. It sounded wonderful on the Rockports and was easily the most fun I've had listening to this track since I discovered it many years ago. It's just weird that of the 25 discs I brought with me this was one of them, and that I passed over many other discs and tracks in order to play this track on the afternoon of his passing.

R.I.P. Joe and thanks for all of the musical memories!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I heard the sad news as I was just driving home. My coincident is not quite as good as yours but we were auditioning a new amp last week and I was scrolling through my music catalog and landed on the same song! With the memories so fresh, the news took me more by surprise.

May his family find a way to become at peace with this great loss.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Just last week, Yuki Sugiaro was helping me set up the new Sony SS-AR1 monitors and he chose, as one of the "target" tracks, Joe Morello's Take Five from his dmp "Standard Time" CD. I knew the original and the Carnegie Hall performances with Brubeck but this had the dynamics you expect from dmp. Strange, I had not throught about Morello for years until then.

Kal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing