MBL and Raidho worthy of addition to the WBF manucturers' list?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Wison Sasahs are getting all the rave reviews these days but what I remember from the '09 RMAF and '10 CES, MBL, Raihdo (in Nordost room), and Magnepan were the most memorable sounds, IMHO.

Wilson and Magnepan already have places in the WB Manucturers section but MBL and Raihdo are not listed.

Can we add them?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We can if there is commitment to add substance to them. We have a few already gathering dust. Do you and others have ideas of what you want to post there?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
We constantly examine the activity in different manufacturer's forums to see how much interest is generated by the content. When only a few (or none) of our members owns a product from a given manufacturer, the discussions quickly become dormant. If there appears to be sufficient interest, as demonstrated by responses to a thread such as this one, the admins can certainly consider the addition of a dedicated forum.

Edited to add: Amir and I were on this at the same time. See, we DO pay attention to what's said here!

Lee

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
MBL has no real representation in the US at the moment, so you may want to also consider this

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Thank you guys for your comments and considerations.

I do realize what it takes to be a successful Internet site - exponentially increasing members and heavy enough traffic to shut the WBF's servers down...(seems like a scene from the Social Network..)

On the other hand, as I re-read the charter for this group, "The mission of What's Best Forum is in our name: what is best in everything. If you care about researching something before you buy, or are just curious to learn the best in everything, this is the forum for you. "

So if you list only the popular manufacturers members already own that will have heavy traffics, we will never know whatelse is truly the best or whatelse options are available, IMHO.

I was hoping WBF would differentiate from A'gon, Audio Circle, AVS, or other fourms where all the popular brands are already discussed and let the BEST manufactures in Everything - even if no memebers own their gear (or available in US) - get discussed here...;-)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ki, we don't require a product to be popular at all. We only require that someone contribute and hopefully regularly to the subforum. Otherwise, it sits there idle not serving any purpose.

How about this deal: I will create it if there are at least two threads that can be created with meaningful information in the first week it is there and five by the end of the month. How about it?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Amir:

Thanks for your compromise. However, I don't think the new manufacturers list should be updated based on my request alone. It should be added when and if the candidate company produces the best products and services worthy of the fourm charter other memebers would agree.

Thus, I'll be patient.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ki,

I have owned a pair of MBL101b's many moons ago and they are one the more difficult and unstable speakers I have ever listened. Their sound depends strongly on the room acoustics (they are omnidirectional) and the recording characteristics. They are capable of extremes - divine with a some recordings and execrable on some others. When they were sounding good they have an excellent "separation" quality : performers imaged in solid state with an almost physical permanence in the room. But when they wanted to play "thin" no one could withstand them.
But after they left Anne Sophie von Otter singing Grieg Songs with Forsberg at the Piano were never the same!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I guess most speakers these days do require proper room and treatments to sound the way the designer had in mind.

Having only heard the MBLs and Raidhos in shows, I am not qualified to comment. However, your personal experience matches what I heard in MBL room from '09 RMAF. They played lower model 111Fs, and it was as you said divine sound but their bigger and the latest 101E MkIIs in '10 CES room didn't sound as good. The MBL person who had set up both rooms told me that the difference was indeed the room at the CES where one of the side walls wasn't there.

The Raidho C1.0s at both RMAF and CES in Nordost room had spooky imaging, very clear and wide soundstaging, and ample bass for such small monitor speakers that are probably good enough to be one's main speakers. I think they will compete well with the Maggico Minis and the new TAD monitor speakers. Thanks, Ki

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing