My basement studio.

therealfactor

Feb 17, 2011
Dear Ethen-

I wanted to drop by and offer you my appreciation for all your wonderful, informative videos. Not may people, at least that I can find, are willing to go the distance you do for education and preserving knowledge without trying to sell something. Most informative videos anymore are trying to get me to buy bass traps to put all throughout my room --as if that's necessary. Ha ha. Your videos and discussions are well rounded, to the point and informative.

I'm a 21 year old guitarist/pianist/vocalist. I bought my house 4 years ago, and since the birth of my beautiful daughter, I didn't think my dream of recording (and hopefully distributing) my own music would ever be a reality, a reality that has begun production in my basement. Your videos have helped me a lot in understanding concepts that keep me from buying unnecessary materials, and spending my money wisely --on necessary things.

Because I do favor your videos, and your grasp of Audio Engineering is evident, I would like to ask you a question. I appreciate that you are far too qualified to spend time answering questions for strangers on a blog, but if you could it would really help me.

I've recently finished water proofing and "sound proofing" my basement. I was thorough on the water proofing, but not as particular about the sound proofing of the basement (because I am making individual, insulated rooms that will serve that function). Because there did used to exist a water issue (a minor one, but none the less a water issue), I have raised the floor structure of my studio 5 inches. So on one side of my basement I have an 8 x 10 ft room studded that is 5 inches off the ground that will be my acoustic/vocal recording room, and on the other side of the basement, though I haven't begun the listening room yet, will be similar. Neither of their walls will be touching each other. Think of a hall way.

The 8x10ft studded room has the studs made of standard 2x4's, and are 16in from center apart. These are my questions:

1. At this point, what is my best, most realistic approach at soundproofing the room. I will worry about the acoustics in another question. I'm primarily worried about keeping all external noise...external! What I was going to do was 1)sheet rock the outside. 2) fiberglass insulate the inside. 3) Buy the insulation, r13 foam sheets from Lowes and place them on the inside (same as you would sheet rock) 4) Run 1 inch think by 8 inch wide cedar boards diagonally as the inside wall.

I would from then begin my steps to perfect the acoustics of the recording room. What do you think? Is any of that over kill? Is it not enough?

2. What type of door should I use? The door will be parallel with the listening room when it's constructed --thus will have a window and will allow me to not have any other windows in the room (my room hugs up against another, preexisting concrete support wall in the basement. Thus making any windows kinda weird, you wouldn't put a window in your bedroom wall that is facing the living room, you know?). NOTE: All 4 of the walls of the room are studded for the room, one of them is simply close to the preexisting wall --not touching). My 3 Ideas were 1) Sliding glass door. Though I've no clue how I'd make that work, I've noticed that many speaker demo rooms have sliding glass doors. 2) A normal, wood front door. 3) Make my own door (I feel I am capable of that). Each option will be sealed accordingly. But which would you recommend?

3. Finally. What type of flooring and ceiling do you recommend?

I'm sorry for typing so much. I figured you could picture my situation better the more descriptive I was. I believe I've read enough of your stuff and watched enough of your videos to be able to go at the acoustics of the room. I'm sure there will be trial an error --but they have helped a lot. Thank you so much in advance for considering to answer these questions. I want very badly to take advantage of the unfinished room I have made. Once I start building walls my options go down, and I really badly want to make the right choices.

-Josh

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing