High Fidelity Jazz Find

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is a testament of great music which makes a person who is not into that genre enjoy it. Such is the case with this Album: The Marsalis Family

http://www.amazon.com/Marsalis-Fami...2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1297751092&sr=1-2-spell

Father and sons playing.

My favorite track is Saint James Infirmary. Yes, it is recorded too wide like old fashioned stereo. But my, what saxophone!

I played this at two of our systems at work, Revel Salon 2/Mark Levinson and Wisdom and while a bit different presentation, they both freeze you in your seat, listening to the full track and hitting repeat! There is so much soul in that sax that is hard to describe in words. It is almost like the sound of an Opera singer.

Hopefully I am not too late to this party, seeing how it came out in 2003! Truth to be told, I had this sitting in my library and never had listened to it 'till now....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I also have the DVD. Alas, the picture quality is pretty poor and seeing that we have a 17 foot wide screen, it would really look poor there.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Knock on wood. The Marsalis family did well. The video is on that piano thread. Nothing sells audio equipment like good music!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So how about more suggestions Greg? If you walked into an audio store and wanted to hear 3-5 audiophile Jazz (CD) tracks, which ones would those be? Question is open to everyone else too :).

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Amir,

Here's one:

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=JD049&productcategoryid=1

Track 8, Hey Mr. Mumbles features Clark Terry doing his trademark unintelligible scat talk, with terrific solos by saxophone, flugelhorn, bass, piano, and drums. Chesky consistently mikes drum kits very well, BTW. Since it's a live recording, there is an added degree of ambience and realism to things. Great audio quality. A long-time sonic reference for me.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
From the bit I could preview on Amazon, it sounds great Lee! Does anyone provide lossless downloads for it?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So how about more suggestions Greg? If you walked into an audio store and wanted to hear 3-5 audiophile Jazz (CD) tracks, which ones would those be? Question is open to everyone else too :).

Music is of course a matter of taste. My approach is to play the heartbeat on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon; the clock alarms; or the change being dropped in the drawer. I think it is Bach fugue in D minor by Michael Murray on Telarc. The bass on Take Five by Dave Brubeck. Stanley Clark -the dynamics building till my amp blew. The driving beat on Salt by Liz Wright cut #2. No offense. I can often tell a lot about someone's system when they say," I played that and did not hear anything special."

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Greg. I know music tastes vary but I am hoping there is a common subset everyone knows. I am covered on DSOTM and Dave Brubeck. Have to look up the others.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, I had forgotten about that thread! Boy, Tom's list is long, long, long! :)

I saw your list there too. I am covered on George Winston and have that as part of our playlist already :). The rest I have to get:

"1. Geroge Winston-Plains WIndham Hill piano cuts 3&4
2. Michael Jackson This is It vocal Acapella Disc II Cut #3
3. Boyz II Men-Boyz II Men Yesterday vocal Acapella last cut
4. Manhattan Transfer 'tonin- God only knows cut 12 vocal Acapella last cut
5. Chico Freeman- Spirit Sensitive Analogue Productions Autumn in New York Cut 1. Sax and Bass
6. Stanley Clarke, Stanley Clarke Cut 4. Spanish Suites for Strings and Bass, Cut 1.Vulcan princess
7. Sarah Vaughn and Clifford Brown trumpet cut 2&5
8. Hugh Masekela The Americanization of Ooga Booga cut 1"

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Okay that's good.
Three more Tuck & Patti also on Windham Hill doing Jimi Hendrixs' Castles in the Sand
From the Soundtrack Cruel Intentions cut #5 Colorblind Counting Crows and Lou Rawls Live The Shadow of Your Smile. Nola room at 2010 RMAF Both big hits.llent on t

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Saxophone Colossus, Way Out West - Sonny Rollins
Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section
These three are JP 192/24 2ch only DVDa's and are superbly remastered 60's sessions and IMHO upto now the definitive releases of these sessions. I have many versions in various formats and this is on top of the list.
Wish I had picked up more at the time, but they all quickly went oop.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing