Active and DSP correction in Grimm LS1 - Reviewed by HiFinews

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Not sure how many are aware of Grimm Audio, but they have some of the finest engineers around.

Anyway they have developed an interesting speaker, which has finally been reviewed in HiFiNews.
Overall the speaker was noted for being very good but just shy of being a great speaker, however it was noted that this was the flattest measured speaker they have ever had.
But considering this is their 1st step into loudspeakers it could be interesting with future developments.

This is what Siegfried Linkwitz thoughts are on it:
A sensibly designed loudspeaker
On the exhibit floor of the 129th AES Convention in Munich I saw a loudspeaker that impressed me by the logic with which it was designed, the GRIMM AUDIO LS1.
I could not listen to it closely because the surrounding noise level was far too high, but what I saw and heard from the exhibitors convinced me that the LS1 is a remarkable loudspeaker design.
The wide baffle yields a forward pointing and smooth polar response over a very wide frequency range with a low frequency transition region to omni-directional behavior.
The inside of the box and the panels appeared to be properly designed.
The speaker is active and uses intelligently applied DSP for response correction.
A subwoofer can be correctly integrated if needed. One can only hope that the LS1 breaks bad habits in recording studio and home.
http://www.grimmaudio.com/hifi_loudspeakers_ls1.htm
http://www.grimmaudio.com/whitepapers/speakers.pdf

Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not sure how many are aware of Grimm Audio, but they have some of the finest engineers around.

Anyway they have developed an interesting speaker, which has finally been reviewed in HiFiNews.
Overall the speaker was noted for being very good but just shy of being a great speaker, however it was noted that this was the flattest measured speaker they have ever had.
But considering this is their 1st step into loudspeakers it could be interesting with future developments.

This is what Siegfried Linkwitz thoughts are on it:

http://www.grimmaudio.com/hifi_loudspeakers_ls1.htm
http://www.grimmaudio.com/whitepapers/speakers.pdf

Cheers
Orb

Unhappily there is no data to support the most interesting claim in the links you supplied - just a power weighted ambiguous graph is not enough. Did HFNRR supply more data? (I do not have the review).

Good old days of the first Quad ESL63 reviews!

> The wide baffle yields a forward pointing and smooth polar response over a very wide frequency range with a low frequency transition region to omni-directional behavior.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Sadly speaker measurements are not provided on the Paul Miller website, so I guess we will have to wait until the review is put online by someone.
But its measurements are pretty nice, it seems seriously flat compared to any other speaker I have seen measured at Hifinews, but then those others may not measure well depending on certain circumstances-process on how FR is measured.
Also pair matching was within 0.5db.

Wondering if anyone else has come across them, at the very least worth keeping an eye out for them and related articles.
And the concepts used make it an interesting speaker.

Cheers
Orb

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've heard these speakers a couple of times. He designs and builds amazing converters. Not too fond of the speakers though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing