Listening with your eyes? How to read graphs.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I agree about the annoying limitation on length of music that can be sampled. But the fact that spectral analysis can be confusing if you don't know what you are looking at is not the fault of the tool....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well it is if it won't let you change the vertical scale as in that graph. At least I have not found a way to get it to go lower so that I can see the spectrum.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Well it is if it won't let you change the vertical scale as in that graph. At least I have not found a way to get it to go lower so that I can see the spectrum.

Not sure you need to get lower than -90 dB if you can see a brickwall-steepness drop at 22.5 Khz...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Not sure you need to get lower than -90 dB if you can see a brickwall-steepness drop at 22.5 Khz...

Yes you do... I've seen many hi-rez files where the engineer has applied a filter to a 24/96 or DSD file to filter out UHF noise. You need to go down at least to -144dB with a 24-bit file.

Look at my Post #2. This is a DSD file where I have just applied a filter. If you only went to -90dB, you would swear it's an upsampled file!

The graph on Post #3, you wouldn't see any content above 10k if you only went down to -90dB

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I was sure this was mentioned once before, Amir. Audacity is "smart" enough to know what information is, or may be present, and alters the vertical scale as necessary. A possible key thing is to make sure that the preferences setting for Spectrograms has sufficient dynamic range, I've got mine set to 144dB. I'm just looking at a waveform posted by Bruce some time ago, it's having no trouble telling me that the track has a level of about 148dB down at 86kHz ...

Frank

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I post the side-by-side in the other thread . Here it is again:

In my book it is chopping off useful information.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
In my book it is chopping off useful information.

Well, yes, if you have set it to 96 dB of scale. But as Frank points out, you can set it to 144 dB.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Yes you do... I've seen many hi-rez files where the engineer has applied a filter to a 24/96 or DSD file to filter out UHF noise. You need to go down at least to -144dB with a 24-bit file.

And that is something Audacity can so if you change the default setting.

Look at my Post #2. This is a DSD file where I have just applied a filter. If you only went to -90dB, you would swear it's an upsampled file!

Instead of just filtered in an extremely heavy-handed way. OK, not as bad as upsampled, but not much better.

The graph on Post #3, you wouldn't see any content above 10k if you only went down to -90dB

Well, "no significant content beyond 10k" is also valuable information. Something that might be OK if the original master tape is from the 60's, but a reasonably modern master should have much more HF content.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well, "no significant content beyond 10k" is also valuable information. Something that might be OK if the original master tape is from the 60's, but a reasonably modern master should have much more HF content.

This was a Classical recording from the 90's at a very low amplitude.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Lay My Burden Dow&#.jpg

OK, here is a 2011 recording, "Lay My Burden Down" from "Paper Airplane" by Alison Krauss & Union Station from HDTracks. Does not look pretty, but I don't think you can blame Audacity for the ugliness - the ugliness probably happened in the copying room.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, yes, if you have set it to 96 dB of scale. But as Frank points out, you can set it to 144 dB.
I have changed it and it will make no difference on the sample file. If I feed a program 24 bit files as I am doing, I expect it to be that way anyway. Without it, we have tons of people complaining about stuff using that program for no reason.

Welcome to the forum by the way :).

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
I have changed it and it will make no difference on the sample file. If I feed a program 24 bit files as I am doing, I expect it to be that way anyway. Without it, we have tons of people complaining about stuff using that program for no reason.

That is why we need to help users with their settings. I find this link on computeraudiophile very useful.

Welcome to the forum by the way :).

Thanks! :)

Julf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing