Listening with your eyes? How to read graphs.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It is my best guess that the Gaucho is actually a 24/44.1 file that was remastered in a hi-rez format. If I use my Millennia EQ and put a 21kHz shelf on the track or use a BAX EQ, this is the same effect you would get.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's what it looks to me too. The increase above 22K seems to be noise shaping at work given the smooth curve.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It is my best guess that the Gaucho is actually a 24/44.1 file that was remastered in a hi-rez format. If I use my Millennia EQ and put a 21kHz shelf on the track or use a BAX EQ, this is the same effect you would get.

When I complained to HDTracks about this, they sent me their own (from you??) spectrum graphs claiming to prove that this was really a 24/96 transfer of the analog master.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
When I complained to HDTracks about this, they sent me their own (from you??) spectrum graphs claiming to prove that this was really a 24/96 transfer of the analog master.

Unfortunately I had nothing to do with the Gaucho transfer. If we had done the analog transfer, it would have looked like the Aja transfer we did.
Technically, it is a hi-rez file, since it contains something above 22k. There are so many "iffy" files we get in here, most of the stuff would have to be called "inconclusive" at best.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thought I'd try a little experiment. Everyone knows the album by REM - Automatic for the People? Well I ripped the CD, upsampled it to DXD, processed through a Rupert Neve console and captured the stream at 24/176.4 Looks like a hi-rez file to me!

Attachments

• REM..jpg
    REM..jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 339

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
If we had done the analog transfer, it would have looked like the Aja transfer we did.

Bruce,

Did you transfer the analog tape stereo master for Aja?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I have a better idea. Here is a novel approach, why not listen with our ears and heart? Call me super old fashion, but I don't really care one way or the other what bit rate a "song" is. Remember those? The ones where you hear them and they remind you of the hot girlfriend in high school, or the time a bunch of your friends took that ski trip? Don't get me wrong, I love SOTA recorded music, otherwise I would not have a Venture/Burmester system. But, I tend to focus on how each song sounds, not it's bit rate. I have found out I like a superior system playing lowly regular cd's, to hi-rez on a 7.1 reciever with vinyl covered speakers. However, if I can have it both ways, yes I wil take hi-rez on my own system, but not hi-rez for hi-rez sakes.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
I have a better idea. Here is a novel approach, why not listen with our ears and heart? Call me super old fashion, but I don't really care one way or the other what bit rate a "song" is. Remember those? The ones where you hear them and they remind you of the hot girlfriend in high school, or the time a bunch of your friends took that ski trip? Don't get me wrong, I love SOTA recorded music, otherwise I would not have a Venture/Burmester system. But, I tend to focus on how each song sounds, not it's bit rate. I have found out I like a superior system playing lowly regular cd's, to hi-rez on a 7.1 reciever with vinyl covered speakers. However, if I can have it both ways, yes I wil take hi-rez on my own system, but not hi-rez for hi-rez sakes.

MarinJim,
I think most if not all of us agree that it's ultimately about the music. BUT, if a provider is telling you, via ads, etc that you favorite high school song/album is now like listening to the master tape, and that the emotions will break through like never before...it only requires you to rebuy the album at $35 each. Then wouldn't it be nice to know whether that new set of songs/files are really that much better, or are simply upsampled from a crummy cd you already own since 1983? I mean, once you hear the new stuff it's too late, you've already spent your money. To me, that's all we're trying to do here. If I'm gonna buy On The Threshold Of A Dream for the fith time I wanna know it's the master tape experience!!

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
MarinJim,
I think most if not all of us agree that it's ultimately about the music. BUT, if a provider is telling you, via ads, etc that you favorite high school song/album is now like listening to the master tape, and that the emotions will break through like never before...it only requires you to rebuy the album at $35 each. Then wouldn't it be nice to know whether that new set of songs/files are really that much better, or are simply upsampled from a crummy cd you already own since 1983? I mean, once you hear the new stuff it's too late, you've already spent your money. To me, that's all we're trying to do here. If I'm gonna buy On The Threshold Of A Dream for the fith time I wanna know it's the master tape experience!!

Yes, very true indeed.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Kinda' funny... there is a resident "expert" over on the CA forum spreading some bad info and thought I'd nip it in the bud. They're using Audacity, that has a known bug and they're listening with their eyes again. Below are the graphs for the new Moody Blues album on HDtracks.

Attachments

• Moody..jpg
    Moody..jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Moody 2..jpg
    Moody 2..jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 329

sasully

Jun 29, 2010
Kinda' funny... there is a resident "expert" over on the CA forum spreading some bad info and thought I'd nip it in the bud. They're using Audacity, that has a known bug and they're listening with their eyes again. Below are the graphs for the new Moody Blues album on HDtracks.

What is the known bug in Audacity?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Bruce, just out of curiosity, would you do this with The Weavers - let's take the track Guantanamera - from HDTracks, and compare it to my Classics DAD rip? I'll send you my copy, and try to get Joe to send you his HDTracks download.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce, just out of curiosity, would you do this with The Weavers - let's take the track Guantanamera - from HDTracks, and compare it to my Classics DAD rip? I'll send you my copy, and try to get Joe to send you his HDTracks download.

Files from DVD-A:

Attachments

• Weavers DVD-A..JPG
    Weavers DVD-A..JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Weavers DVD-A 4..JPG
    Weavers DVD-A 4..JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Weavers DVD-A 2..JPG
    Weavers DVD-A 2..JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Weavers DVD-A 3..JPG
    Weavers DVD-A 3..JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Files from HDtracks:

Attachments

• Weavers HDtracks..JPG
    Weavers HDtracks..JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Weavers HDtracks &#.JPG
    Weavers HDtracks &#.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 277
    Weavers HDtracks &#.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 277
    Weavers HDtracks &#.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 274

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Verdict?? Both files are exactly the same. They are the SAME file!

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
There was a bug that made hi-rez files look like they were brickwalled at 22-24k in spectral analysis

As far as I know, this has been fixed in all reasonably recent versions of Audacity. The versions I have been using (on Ubuntu) do seem to show the spectrum correctly.

Julf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing