Possibly important products missed in CES coverage

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Apologies if these were covered but reading a UK publication a few products stood out that seems to have been missed and IMO have the potential of being an impact in audio.

The two primary products that stood out being missed is the Micromega AS400 and the Classe CP-800.

Why IMO are these important;
The Micromega AS400 is a Class D integrated amp, but its key story is that it has Apple Airstream imbedded.
For most audiophiles this may be a none story, but consider the younger generation that needs to be encouraged to use higher fidelity.
This product is probably the 1st in the high end that is serious about providing a solution around what the Apple generation want, simple no extra boxes plug in and play with their ipod/iphone/etc.
It is slightly cheaper than Audio Research DSi200, and has slightly more power at 400watts into 8ohms using the good Hypex Class D technology while also providing the simplest way to stream Apple technology while keeping mobility of the Apple device.

The Classe CP-800 is to me a great move by Classe;
A model to replace their top of the range preamp but is much cheaper, while also combining both digital and analogue so you can directly feed PCM into the CP-800 or bypass the digital circuits and maintain a pure analogue (ideal for LPs) system.
This is critical in that they are providing a reference preamp that is not only cheaper than its previous model but also acknowledges these days listeners also need digital orientated preamp as well - it has an isolated asynchronous USB interface amongst the usual.
So this can do away with external DACs with its own support for PCM from transports and PCs-laptops, and also enables to bypass the digital circuitry when its critical to keep analogue setup such as say LPs.

The last is more of an interest story and I am really not sure how it is going to affect the market but it is a story I thought would had been covered.
That is Sony unvieling their reference speaker that is I think around $30k-ish.
A lot of money and maybe they see it as a cash cow, or is this a serious attempt to enter into the industy against TAD.

I appreciate there are many stories at CES, but noticed these may had been missed, please note I am more summarising these products so worth doing a search on them if interested.

Thanks
Orb

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Apologies if these were covered but reading a UK publication a few products stood out that seems to have been missed and IMO have the potential of being an impact in audio.
Try some of the US publications/websites.

The Classe CP-800 is to me a great move by Classe;
Covered by Stereophile CES blogs and also the earlier CEDIA blog along with the functionally/philosophically similar McIntosh C48 and C50.

The last is more of an interest story and I am really not sure how it is going to affect the market but it is a story I thought would had been covered.
That is Sony unvieling their reference speaker that is I think around $30k-ish.
Again covered by a number of US sites including Stereophile.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well somehow I missed it on the online websites as I just went through three of them a 2nd time before posting :)
Appreciate it may had been at CEDIA and point taken on that, but if so it has not really generated much comment anywhere and that is surprising.

Cheers
Orb

Edit:
Went through the CES Coverage of SP and could not find the CP-800 (found the amp though).
Found the Sony thanks for the heads up, but why the naff picture - I blame that on why I missed it :)
Other publication that got me to post originally showed it in all its glory, that looks like an empty paper box on the SP site sheesh :)
Ok, no getting away that I was wrong I accept lol, but I find it strange none of these products has generated what I can see much interest from the audio forums (sorry if I ignore the SP forum these days but I cannot get used to the new layout and puts me off).

Thanks again for heads up.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ok I found the CP-800 but what is confusing is that it is not under the show stuff but a specific news blog by you :(
Sorry I missed a great bit of info there, going to share it as it is impressive kit and good points from you:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/the_2010_cedia_show_day_3/index.html

However the CP-800 was touted again this time at CES with some claims of exceptional fidelity, and critically the use of asynchronous USB that is isolated (more info than back at the CEDIA blog).

Thanks again
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Gary,
I did not want to divert your announcement thread but I was going to say nice to see you mentioned in some coverages :)
Noticed as well in one of the UK publications and another online.

Your not always missed :)
Thanks
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Kal just found the AS400 coverage on SP and yeah was last year at RMAF.
I notice a poster thought the sound was highly impressive.

However this raises the question, were they and the CP-800 ignored at CES due to being covered at previous events?
I appreciate there are more products than a sane person can completely take in at CES, but I would had thought innovative products (such as the CP-800 and AS400) would be mentioned also at later shows.

Thanks
Orb

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I believe the Classe was at the Mirage which was a bit off the beaten track. As noted, it did get well covered at CEDIA. In those threads I and others mentioned how it was a component that makes a lot of sense.

As for the Airstream, we're starting to see products incorporate the Apple Airplay function which takes it all a step further -- no computer necessary, just an iOS device to 'fling' music/video from. Denon, Marantz, B&W and others are doing it. A neat product is the forthcoming Paradigm A2 powered speakers that have a powered jack in the back for an Airport Express. You can either stream from your computer or fling, and the apparent hardware is just a pair of speakers.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Fair enough but there was 2 posts when searching on the CP-800 here going back to CEDIA (did search for cp-800 and cp800) but this did not touch on it isolated usb or the trend importance of both digital and analogue support.
Relating to the Airstream can you link other high quality integrateds/speakers that currently have Airstream; the AS400 is an available integrated amp product now and as you say does not require a computer and can link directly with Apple products.
This is the important aspect of the story, bringing the ipod generation into high quality playback and it seems to me Micromega is the 1st to do this in a way that would appeal to the younger generation, the B&W Zeppelin has some appeal and is popular but is still a limited playback system in terms of quality and speaker restriction, unfortunately it does not enable an ipod/iphone listener to engage with a good high-quality system.

Thanks
Orb

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Bob,
thanks for the link, it will definitely be of interest for those looking at an entry type product and there are a lot of people after those.

Thanks
Orb

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just recommended it to a couple of people, perfect functionality/price for their interests. If I get a chance to hear it, I'll report.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing