Very interesting!

Audioquattr, are you considering this?

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Very interesting!

Audioquattr, are you considering this?

Yes i am Ron, but first want to hear and get a feeling with it.

Thanks for the nice pics Gian.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The person who had the Magico Q7 with the Alieno, Nat magnetostat, kodo, Vyger, aesthetix io eclipse, Allnic etc is planning to audiogon this at some point

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
The last two weeks i had several pre-amps for comparing. For the last 5 years i have used the Dan D'Agostino pre-amp connected to the Alieno amplifier (last 2 years) , before that with the Momentum mono amps.

The waiting was for a matching pre-amp, Alieno worked on it for more than 3 years. The last few months i have tried some other competitors because it wasn't clear when the Alieno pre-amp would be ready and i sold the DD.
So i tried some. The one i was very suprised with and think it is undervalued is the TAD C600. It bettered the DD big time in allmost all aspects.

The one i was the most expecting from, also because of the very good TVC volume-control and tubes, was the Nagra HD pre-amp. I had it for one week and 2 days together with the Tad and the Alieno pre-amp. I very much liked the way of using and operating the Nagra HD.

But the sound was a completely other story, i tried a lot with different interlinks, XLR (no good combi) and SE. The tone is quiet good but short notes, i mean allmost no decay on notes against the Tad and Alieno. Sounstage-wise the difference was even greater, it all is just between the speakers, from tweeter till tweeter and a bit depht. The Tad makes that muchhhh wider, you have way beyond the speakers, allmost as good as the Alieno.
The Alieno against the Tad has better depht, you can walk through the sounstage. The difference in that with the Nagra HD and DD is very big.
Offcourse it's often a match and synergy thing but i wasn't prepared the Tad C600 did it so very well.

Alieno pre en pow.jpg

Nagra HD , TAD.jpg

Reactions: GMKF and bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very fun! You must have enjoyed this very interesting pre-amp comparison opportunity!

Is the Alieno pre-amp all tube? Will you be keeping the Alieno pre-amp?

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
It was absolutely fun and good to learn.
Yes the Alieno pre is all tube.
This was the final prototype, they start production now so have to wait for that...

Reactions: lektor

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I just received this info:

Alieno Preamplifier - Preliminary info
The Alieno preamplifier stands out for some peculiar technical features, most of them are absolutely exclusive.
Alieno’s technology:
the same innovative technology used in our 250 LTD power amp is used in Alieno preamp allowing to obtain a powerful yet ultra refined signal. From the inputs to the outputs connectors, a minimal crystal-clear signal path managed by a selected couple of NOS ECC82 tubes, ensures transparency, accuracy and speed of the musical signal, while the exclusive
Alieno power supply technology (section of strategic importance where works a selected couple of 6H30), guarantees energy, dynamic and control far beyond any comparison.
It must be pointed out that Alieno’s technology offers a virtually distortion-free signal handling that makes useless the use of feedback which is absolutely not used in none of the preamplifier stages.
On top of a rigidly dual mono implementation, Alieno Pre employs four independent power supply units, beside the ones exclusively dedicated to cathodes and services; this ensures a powerful power supply to
all the amplification stages. Moreover each PSU acts in a “virtual battery” mode, thanks to the use of special capacitors whose value an topology
has never been used before in preamplifiers construction.
Ground separation not only between the various inputs but also between each stereo channel of the same input: this ensures a superior clearness and intelligibility of even the more subtle nuances and
a better soundstage’s representation.
Each inputs allows interface’s optimization with the source of the signal by means of fine tuning of the sensitivity and value of the load. Moreover there’s the option to have a dedicated input for pro sources with floating balanced connection.
The volume’s control is of utmost importance in a preamplifier; typically it’s made by a variable resistor which controls the signal in transit. The most adopted techniques in high end audio are either the potentiometer (i.e. a variable resistor based on a sliding contact), or a series of fixed value resistors.
Alieno preamplifier relies on technology which encompasses a step-free behaviour, like the one of potentiometers, coupled with the superior sonic transparency
of fixed value resistors. This implementation is absolutely transparent to
the final user who perceives the same feeling of a traditional volume control.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing