Hear It Yourself.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am fortunate to have many carts to listen to. I will put a sound clip of each cart on this thread. The system is constant using Cessaro Gamma II, Ayon amplification and pre, Kuro cablings, Ching Cheng power cords ;), EMT JPA66 Mk III phono and AS2000 tt. The tonearm used is mostly SME 3012R unless a cart can’t be installed on the SME headshell, then I use SAT. The music is Hilary Hahn’s Max Richter. I hope this thread can be fun and useful to people.These clips are not volume adjusted so you have to do that yourself. I use Samsung S8 mobile phone to record all clips. Put on your headphone and hear which one you may like. The VdH Master Signature and ZYX Universe Premium will be added later on.

GFS

Atlas SL

Opus1

Tang

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Good job and very useful,
listen in hurry but listen good difference
ALso i have GFS,Atlas sl and Opus1 and difference are exactly like i listening my system

Could be good if you do with jazz and voices,could be is better listen more simple the differences?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Wow, great compare. I think I prefer the Atlas SL to the Opus1 - to the extent that compressed Youtube audio can differentiate between them. Based on reading in the forum, I thought for sure I'd prefer Opus1. Now, I'd be very curious to hear acoustic guitar and voices as well! EDIT: I suspect Opus1 in my solid state system might be the preferred cart, but so far in yours, I think it's a bit reserved compared the the Atlas SL. I was trying to listen for microdynamics, but found it difficult. Tang (or Gian), which cart do you feel has better microdynamics in your system?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Good job and very useful,
listen in hurry but listen good difference
ALso i have GFS,Atlas sl and Opus1 and difference are exactly like i listening my system

Could be good if you do with jazz and voices,could be is better listen more simple the differences?

Your super system with the Atlantis without tweaks definitely will let you hear all the differences. Let me go on add a few more carts in the same songs then I will change music.

Kind regards,
tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Wow, great compare. I think I prefer the Atlas SL to the Opus1 - to the extent that compressed Youtube audio can differentiate between them. Based on reading in the forum, I thought for sure I'd prefer Opus1. Now, I'd be very curious to hear acoustic guitar and voices as well! EDIT: I suspect Opus1 in my solid state system might be the preferred cart, but so far in yours, I think it's a bit reserved compared the the Atlas SL. I was trying to listen for microdynamics, but found it difficult. Tang (or Gian), which cart do you feel has better microdynamics in your system?

You seem to like violin and piano with more body and lower register. Keep listening more to the Opus1 and you will find it amazing, Brian. Also wait for the vdh on SME. It has great body and very engaging.

Kind regards,
Tang

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
This is wonderful Tango, thank you for taking the time and energy to let us experience your cartridge selections. And done the right way. I doubt there is anywhere else this is possible. I'll call it Tang's On-Line Cartridge Listening Library.

I look forward to the ZYX and vdH Master Signature.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is my new reference. Vdh Colibri Master Signature.

VdH Master Signature

Opus

GFS

AtlasSL

Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is wonderful Tango, thank you for taking the time and energy to let us experience your cartridge selections. And done the right way. I doubt there is anywhere else this is possible. I'll call it Tang's On-Line Cartridge Listening Library.

I look forward to the ZYX and vdH Master Signature.

I agree. Thank you Tang for making and sharing these videos. Some say that it is foolish to try to make judgements about audio gear through YouTube videos, but I say it is fun and often possible to hear general differences if comparisons are made very directly, like in these cases. I would refer to this collection of videos as "Tang's Library", but his system in general seems more like a cartridge/arm/turntable laboratory. Professor Tang, LOL? Great stuff. Many thanks.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I agree. Thank you Tang for making and sharing these videos. Some say that it is foolish to try to make judgements about audio gear through YouTube videos, but I say it is fun and often possible to hear general differences if comparisons are made very directly, like in these cases. I would refer to this collection of videos as "Tang's Library", but his system in general seems more like a cartridge/arm/turntable laboratory. Professor Tang, LOL? Great stuff. Many thanks.

Dear Peter,

You are most welcome.

Comparison of sound clips is the closest we can get without actually listening in one's system to have a sense of sound of a cartridge. Reading reviews is not tangible and up to what the reviewer hear and how he express sound into words. Then you have to interpret his words and hope your meaning is the same as his. I will go so far as to say it is foolish to make judgements about cart through reading report of a reviewer. No one can describe the sound of each cart in my room better than these sound clips. You will be surprised how much you can pick up from these youtube clips if you keep listening back and forth.

Tang :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Tang, you can pick up a Tascam DA converter cheap, and rip your files while playing by just plugging it in. This will allow you to let people know only what the different analog components are doing (not hearing it through speakers into your Samsung microphone)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Tang, you can pick up a Tascam DA converter cheap, and rip your files while playing by just plugging it in. This will allow you to let people know only what the different analog components are doing (not hearing it through speakers into your Samsung microphone)

is there a youtube equivalent for CD level audio files that allows similarly seamless recording, editing, posting and access ease? our phones are designed to specifically accomplish the video tasks almost without even thinking about it. file sharing decent size audio files is a pain for most of us. i'm sure a few here have no issues, but I know I would not know the first thing on how to do it.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thank you for this, Tang - and thank you, Brian!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hey Tang. I am your first subscriber on Youtube!! My daughter loves your speakers but says your carpet is ugly - LOL.

We both have the same camera - Samsung S8 - it does take great videos as I have some really good live concert videos - yours looks great on my 75 inch 4K Sony. The AS2000 is HUGE.

The VDH and GFS are certainly more forward than either Atlas or Opus. You seemed to be shuffling papers more when Atlas was playing :D

31104344018_960b7c7150_h.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hey Tang. I am your first subscriber on Youtube!! My daughter loves your speakers but says your carpet is ugly - LOL.

We both have the same camera - Samsung S8 - it does take great videos as I have some really good live concert videos - yours looks great on my 75 inch 4K Sony. The AS2000 is HUGE.

The VDH and GFS are certainly more forward than either Atlas or Opus. You seemed to be shuffling papers more when Atlas was playing :D

View attachment 43938

Darn Shane. Your TV has one hell of a clear picture. I need to get one. Your daughter is right. My wife also said the same :D.

The GFS actually has the most backward presentation. It is the cart that needs to play louder than the others to get better connection. I cranked up a little when recorded with the S8 so the way the phone recorded make it seem closer.

Kind regards,
Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Darn Shane. Your TV has one hell of a clear picture. I need to get one. Your daughter is right. My wife also said the same :D.

The GFS actually has the most backward presentation. It is the cart that needs to play louder than the others to get better connection. I cranked up a little when recorded with the S8 so the way the phone recorded make it seem closer.

Kind regards,
Tang

ah ha. I did notice it was louder, but the TV does not quite have the same sound fidelity as the main system.

Next up you need some dynamic techo or similar with all 4 carts - that will really be interesting on how they all sound :D Wait til Ked gets there for that, as I know he loves techno - lol

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I like the harmonic glow on the GFS, as much as I can tell from these recordings. Thanks Khun Tang for these clips. Enjoy your fruits.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing