ROCK Music Albums that had a Significant Impact in your Youth | Including some that you know are ..

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Pretty hairy but the effect on a pimply 16 year old kid was immense --Link Wray's Classic Rumble, his influence on some of the best rockers was notable.

W

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
I listened to LZ1 a lot. For me, every album they did after that was a let down.
8C367B8A-FE2C-4578-9F2B-518CC6AD9242.jpeg
Another album that moved my soul was Santana’s first album. I played percussion in those days and couldn’t get enough of Carlos.
2A1CD765-CAC8-48F5-8C85-59A63F17600E.jpeg

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
Reading this thread makes one thing clear: the popular music in my formative years just wasn't as good. It is what is is. The rock albums that had a significant impact on my youth:

41H62046AHL.jpg

71nYpz++VCL._SL1400_.jpg
Nirvana_mtv_unplugged_in_new_york.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AWZ1979

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
REM - Murmur

I was fortunate enough to see REM in 1982 in the basement of the cafeteria at the University of the South in Sewanee TN when I was a sophomore in high school. They had just released their first EP, Chronic Town. I had never heard music like this before and I LOVED it. When Murmur came out - I couldn’t believe how good the entire album was. At the time there was nothing like it. I’ve been an REM fan ever since.

King Crimson - Discipline

This was the first King Crimson album I ever heard. I was a freshman in high school when it came out. And I was absolutely floored. I went back and listened to the earlier stuff and of course fell madly in love with that too. Discipline isn’t my favorite Crimson album - but I do love it, and it’s the one that started it all.

Yes - Drama

This one also came out my freshman yeah in high school. Like Discipline, it was a huge change in lineup from prior and deeply popular Yes albums that preceded it - and in this case after it as well. And many Yes fans don’t like it. But I think Drama is an absolute masterpiece. It’s the Yes album that showed the world how much Chris Squire really meant to Yes. I still play it regularly, and always will. Massively underrated in the Yes catalog.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
REM - Murmur

I was fortunate enough to see REM in 1982 in the basement of the cafeteria at the University of the South in Sewanee TN when I was a sophomore in high school. They had just released their first EP, Chronic Town. I had never heard music like this before and I LOVED it. When Murmur came out - I couldn’t believe how good the entire album was. At the time there was nothing like it. I’ve been an REM fan ever since.

King Crimson - Discipline

This was the first King Crimson album I ever heard. I was a freshman in high school when it came out. And I was absolutely floored. I went back and listened to the earlier stuff and of course fell madly in love with that too. Discipline isn’t my favorite Crimson album - but I do love it, and it’s the one that started it all.

Yes - Drama

This one also came out my freshman yeah in high school. Like Discipline, it was a huge change in lineup from prior and deeply popular Yes albums that preceded it - and in this case after it as well. And many Yes fans don’t like it. But I think Drama is an absolute masterpiece. It’s the Yes album that showed the world how much Chris Squire really meant to Yes. I still play it regularly, and always will. Massively underrated in the Yes catalog.

With the exception of REM I agree 100% on the other two. I would agree on the REM concert experience being a treat, just never got into them.

I used to play White Car over and over, very haunting track.

Everything after Discipline, to me, paled in comparison and was an attempt to recreate that magic.

Reactions: Skylab

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ditto on Jethro Tull "Aqualung"...

Little Feat "Feats Don't Fail Me Now"

Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin are a big part of psychedelic rock music many of us grew up with. That and Tangerine Dream and Soft Machine. ...For me it sure is, among Classical music from Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Amadeus, Debussy, Ravel, Chopin, Handel, Scarlatti, and all the others. ...And among Jazz music of course...Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, Monk, Evans, Hancock, Corea, Ellington, Cole, and the rest.

Another rock album that was impacting was Jesus Christ Superstar (one tune plays in 'Roma' film). ...And The Who, and Brian Eno later on. Also, Lou Reed later on, and Patti Smith.

To go back in time from the music playing is nothing today we can recreate.
Our state-of-mind and our state-of-heart when we were teenagers and spinning albums on our turntables in the 50s, 60s and 70s cannot be duplicate today in 2019.
The best and closest that we can be from that era and our growing up in that music atmosphere, the smoking surroundings, our friends, lovers, etc., are our memories.

Try spinning Meddle from Pink Floyd on your turntable or CD player or Tidal today Tuesday February 19, 2019 and feel what you were feeling back in 1971-72, almost fifty years ago.
It is impossible because the love you had back then is not the same love you have today.
Sometime I try, real hard by closing everything in my mind, but I never succeeded as best as when I was sixteen years old.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I think Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin are a big part of psychedelic rock music many of us grew up with. That and Tangerine Dream and Soft Machine. ...For me it sure is, among Classical music from Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Amadeus, Debussy, Ravel, Chopin, Handel, Scarlatti, and all the others. ...And among Jazz music of course...Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, Monk, Evans, Hancock, Corea, Ellington, Cole, and the rest.

Another rock album that was impacting was Jesus Christ Superstar (one tune plays in 'Roma' film). ...And The Who, and Brian Eno later on. Also, Lou Reed later on, and Patti Smith.

To go back in time from the music playing is nothing today we can recreate.
Our state-of-mind and our state-of-heart when we were teenagers and spinning albums on our turntables in the 50s, 60s and 70s cannot be duplicate today in 2019.
The best and closest that we can be from that era and our growing up in that music atmosphere, the smoking surroundings, our friends, lovers, etc., are our memories.

Try spinning Meddle from Pink Floyd on your turntable or CD player or Tidal today Tuesday February 19, 2019 and feel what you were feeling back in 1971-72, almost fifty years ago.
It is impossible because the love you had back then is not the same love you have today.
Sometime I try, real hard by closing everything in my mind, but I never succeeded as best as when I was sixteen years old.
Tangerine Dream Stratosfear another timeless classic, love that album.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgmd11

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Tangerine Dream alone I could write an entire thread about ...
Saw them live about 10-15 years ago when Edgar was still with them in an outdoor amphitheater (Irvine Meadows) on a perfect summer night and they used the night sky to perfect an amazing sounding show, one of my top 10 best ever concerts.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Alright :cool:

The two films, Sorcerer (1977 by William Friedkin) and Thief (1981 by Michael Mann) are two favorites for the atmospheric music soundtracks. ...High tension and highly entertaining.

Also The Keep (1983 by Michael Mann) with the music of Tangerine Dream.
A horror film helped by the music soundtrack.
Music scores in films can elevate them that much more.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Alright :cool:

The two films, Sorcerer (1977 by William Friedkin) and Thief (1981 by Michael Mann) are two favorites for the atmospheric music soundtracks. ...High tension and highly entertaining.

Also The Keep (1983 by Michael Mann) with the music of Tangerine Dream.
A horror film helped by the music soundtrack.
Music scores in films can elevate them that much more.

Own all of the above. I read The Keep and was very excited when the movie came out as the book was a decent read and TD did the score. What a stinker of a movie! That being said, it hasn't stopped me from watching it from time to time. :D

The Wikipedia article offers a legit look as to why it turned out the way it did. Interesting read all the way to the squashing the hopes of a remake with the unused footage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keep_(film)

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Another that was an example of how an album can have influence in ways other than the direct content of the album...

Frank Zappa "Overnite Sensation" and "Apostrophe"...I was 18 and found the lyrics funny..went in search of more Frank Zappa and discovered "Hot Rats" and the musicality started an exploration into Jazz in all forms.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Own all of the above. I read The Keep and was very excited when the movie came out as the book was a decent read and TD did the score. What a stinker of a movie! That being said, it hasn't stopped me from watching it from time to time. :D

The Wikipedia article offers a legit look as to why it turned out the way it did. Interesting read all the way to the squashing the hopes of a remake with the unused footage.

The Keep is not for everyone, it's a guilty pleasure of mine since it came up on VHS tape.
The music score is awesome, some of the actors are solid, I also like the locales.
It's not for a sophisticated audience, it's for music lovers, ...Tangerine Dream.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing