USB cable suggestions

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Looking to replace my current Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB 20G cable. Very good cable but needs to be recharged like every 2 days of normal use, forget it and it's dead. I'm looking at a Siltech Royal Signature Golden Universal II at the moment but suggestions in the $2-3000 area are welcome. Not interested in lower priced ones because I own plenty of those already.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Drikus,

A while back when I wanted a USB cable for my headphone amp/dac I came across user feedback that said Vertere HB usb was better than the crystal cable absolute dream usb. At 1/3 of the price. The article also said that the CAD usb cable was better than the Verter HB at ½ price.

The figures I‘m going to quote below are in Australian Dollars.

CAD I would have had to import from UK as there were no dealers in Australia – so I took the easy way out and bought the Vertere HB usb at around the $2,800 mark. I was pleased with it seem go dig deep extract quite a bit of detail, it seems to produce a high res sound and was quite musical. I used it for two years without any changes. Then recently they made a few tweaks to it – so I sent my cable to be upgraded to the latest revision. All good – seemed to be better than the old version.

I then decided to get the CAD2 USB (now in Mk2 design), this was around the $1700 mark, imported directly from UK. I put it in and let it run in, it seemed to be better than the Vertere HB USB – it gave a natural presentation and was a little fuller/deeper in the bass – so this is now my default usb cable.

Recently (only two weeks ago) a dealer asked me to try the Skogrand Grieg which is $3,000 – once bedded in I compared to my own CAD USB 2 cable. I felt that the CAD was a little better in some areas while the Grieg was better in a couple of others.

CAD2 US produces a little more transparent sound, possibly better in the bass and a little bigger sound stage (I’m using expensive headphones/headphone amp – so take my finding with a pinch of salt about the soundstage). A neutral tone. While the Skogrand Grieg produce a slightly more musical sound (for want for better words a little more analogue sound) and possibly with just a hint of warmth. But it’s not as transparent and not quite as full in the bass – but still an excellent usb cable.

And If you read other user feedback on this forum – looks like you also need to try Intona Ultimate USB cable.

So, my recommendation in the price range you are looking is to try some of these:

Vertere HB USB
https://vertereacoustics.com/product/digital-cable/pulse-hb-usb-digital-cable/

Computer Audio Design - CAD 2 USB
https://www.computeraudiodesign.com/cad-usb-cables/

Skogrand Grieg
https://www.skograndcables.com/skogrand-grieg

Intona Ultimate USB (it may not be quite on the web site)
https://pro.intona.eu/en/stories/cable

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Looking to replace my current Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB 20G cable. Very good cable but needs to be recharged like every 2 days of normal use, forget it and it's dead. I'm looking at a Siltech Royal Signature Golden Universal II at the moment but suggestions in the $2-3000 area are welcome. Not interested in lower priced ones because I own plenty of those already.

I do not know the actual prices of Stavessence usb cables but in my stysem their Apricity usb cable was on the same level as Entreq Atlantis which is in your price bracket.

http://gpoint-audio.com/our-collection/stavessence/

PS The prices on their website are 2500 Euro net for each cable :

http://stavessence.audio/ordering/

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
No more battery packs or power supplies for me after my experience with the Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB 20G. It said on the Light Harmonic site that it had enough internal charge to last for hundreds of hours of normal use when charged. Mine lasted for just 2 days of normal use! Asked Larry Ho about this and he said that I should leave it connected to a 5v charger all the time, the 20G will use battery power and automatic charge via that charger when needed. That wasn't mentioned on the Light Harmonic site when I bought it but he said and I quote "I think we should improve our web page to explain", which he did by the looks of it. I did what he said, connected it but no use, no handshake anymore with my dac for some reason.

A1boon

May 16, 2016
Hi Drikus,

Are you willing to share your findings on the Siltech?

Kindest regards,
A1

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Nothing much to share because I made the move from a Mac to a dedicated network streamer like two weeks after I got hold of the Siltech but I got hooked from the first notes I heard in the short time it was in my system. Huge leap forward from my previous cable, a Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB 20G. I've replaced most of my cabling since then with various Siltech Royal Signature's cables, I was that impressed.

It's for sale if you're interested.

A1boon

May 16, 2016
Hi Drikus,

I asked for your findings because I am looking for a digital interlink between my Aurender N10 and Nagra DAC.

I have tried several SPDIF cables (Shunyata, Echole, Acrolink) over the last couple of months; both RCA and AES/EBU. The Dutch Siltech importer will send me an AES/EBU Golden Eagle for evaluation in one of the coming weeks

I stayed away from the USB connection because it was less musical in my opinion, though on the other hand the benefits of an asynchronous connection are evident as well. Even though I am using a cheap generic USB cable at the moment, the precision and PRAT are evident.

A few days ago I asked the importer for his advice on the possibility of using the USB connection.

It comes down to finding an good balance between the qualities of the type of connection and the choice of cable.

It is good to know that your Siltech is available. Where are you based?

Kindest regards, A1

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Belgium so shipping would be easy if you're from Holland. Got the Siltech from Bjorn at Beter Beeld & Geluid in Hilversum.

A1boon

May 16, 2016
Yes, it should be easy enough. And thanks for the information. I will let you know how I proceed with Siltech.

Kindest regards,
A1

A1boon

May 16, 2016
Hi Stereophonic,

The Looks and reviews are impressive indeed. What are your remarks about the Siltech Golden Eagle, and Did you have a chance to audition the Göbel before buying?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Synergistic's Galileo USB cable is the best I have tried.

On the more affordable side, Black Cat's Digit is excellent.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Synergistic's Galileo USB cable is the best I have tried.
On the more affordable side, Black Cat's Digit is excellent.

Lee,
I see you use both the Synergistic Power cell UEF and a Shunyata Denali. That's somewhat unusual I think. May I ask what application(s) does each unit serve and is it possible to make a generalized comparison between these units?
Marty

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I am a cable believer since young..been trying quite a few USB cables this lately after I started the digital audio. The last one is FTA Callisto. Honestly, the 1st time I powered up my systems and pressed play, I was like..@ASdlehtrler*CSlfjds!!!

I couldn't believe what just had happened. The difference was like I just upgraded an equipment. The sound stage expands to all direction, the walls beside and behind the speakers simply disappeared completely. I've never heard this kind of bass, so dynamic, full sounding, deep and textural.

I have several friends who are pretty familiar with my systems because they follow every upgrade path I take. We meet quite often especially in the evening till midnight just for listening.

When they were here the last time after I replace my USB cable, they were struck as well and they asked why have I upgraded. At first I said nothing, I only adjusted the speaker placement (chuckled). They didn't believe and asked me to turn on the light and did physical inspection on my systems. LOLS. They knew every equipment I have but they didn't pay attention to the cable behind those equipment. In their mind, I must have upgraded an equipment.

After passing 100++ hours, this insane USB cable got even better. It has the quietest background, airy highs and earth pounding bass. I can't believe that the small investment on this cable resulted in such a dramatic improvement either.

I believe everyone out there who plays digital audio, should spend some time to review this cable at least once before making a real purchase.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing