If you could have one album re-mastered what would it be?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
In all your years what one album would you like to see remastered, assuming the source material was there. What album to you like so much, where the music (to you) is so good but sounds like crap.

Right now at this moment for me it Rainbow's Rising. This album is one of the best rock albums ever made and it sounds like hell. There has been several interviews with RB and he was pissed about it at the time as they were forced to do a mix that sounds good on the radio. There is no bass, you can hear mix changes during the songs and its literally all mid range. Stargazer is an incredible favorite song of mine and have a hard time listening to it on vinyl. When it does come on the radio, very rare these days, it gets loud.

Currently searching for the best cd version to which is no holy grail but according to some much better.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, that's the exact same record I thought when I read your thread title! Such an amazing album, done so poorly, even originally...
Ritchie should just go back to the tapes and remix the whole thing again, assuming the tapes are still out there somewhere...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Damn you just made me go look :) The best version that I have in my library (on CD) is the Deluxe Edition (2CD). They've located an alternative mix, from way back, the "Los Angeles mix". Sounds quite a bit better and fuller, punchier too, than the standard stuff. It's still a touch bright, but it's definitely an improvement over all the other versions!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Been looking at it on eBay and then reading others thoughts on it and that makes me hesitate to pull the trigger. There is quite a bit about it on the Hoffman forum.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Deluxe edition is on Tidal. You can give it a spin there.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In all your years what one album would you like to see remastered, assuming the source material was there. What album to you like so much, where the music (to you) is so good but sounds like crap.

Right now at this moment for me it Rainbow's Rising. This album is one of the best rock albums ever made and it sounds like hell. There has been several interviews with RB and he was pissed about it at the time as they were forced to do a mix that sounds good on the radio. There is no bass, you can hear mix changes during the songs and its literally all mid range. Stargazer is an incredible favorite song of mine and have a hard time listening to it on vinyl. When it does come on the radio, very rare these days, it gets loud.

Currently searching for the best cd version to which is no holy grail but according to some much better.

Rush Signals. I know it was already remastered...but that is not so good either. Always a bit murky this album but the songs and playing are phenomenal.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ultravox - Lament

I love the music and all releases including LP sound like crap

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Top of my head: PJ Harvey's 'To Bring You My Love' Remastered vinyl was threatened many times but never materialized.

Always on the hunt for remasters of loved albums as so many of my faves growing up are compressed to death among other maladies.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
U2 because their recordings suck! Their live video performances are better SQ

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is a really though question; only one album with the need of a high quality remastering.
If I mention one, two seconds later another one with higher priority would pop up in my mind.
And it would keep going to no end.
Plus it depends of who's doing the remastering, in stereo, multichannel or mono.
And then how far it deviates from the original master.
I can probably come up with hundreds of music album titles.
And then, I just don't know all their releases; there is no way that I am aware of all the best masters and re-masters.

So I'm going to go real loose here, and stay with Rock music (many Classical albums could use some re-mastering), and real fast out-of-the-blue, and instead of just one I'll go with three, just for the heck of living life fun, fast, ...all that jazz.

Reactions: PierreB

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Great thread Mike, you like Rush, a great Canadian Rock-and-Roll band, me too.
I still prefer Led Zeppelin though, and the Stones, and The Doors.
...And Psychedelic Rock...Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin (she can use some re-mastering), Pink Floyd.

* Only one album; impossible for me, there are just too many. ...Fleetwood Mac, CSN, CSN&Y, Cat Stevens, Black Sabbath (could use some re-mastering), AC?DC, Metallica, ...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Don't know what you're talking about, Bob. Meddle sounds awesome.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Don't know what you're talking about, Bob. Meddle sounds awesome.

Agree, just a mid 80's UK pressing of Meddle sounds amazing.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Another band that has been brutally massacred on CD is Kansas. Any dollar bin LP would sound a million times better than their "remastered" CDs. Not fair :)

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016

For Stargazer, checkout the 2009 Anthology.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing