The new Aida reviewd by Michael Fremer

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In Michael's room there is a 20dB swing between 50Hz and 200Hz. ...From the top peak to the lowest dip (19dB from the graph). That's a big swing. Michael needs to use REW and some acoustic room treatments and some quality judicious room correction EQ. I think. His room is in need of "correction".
It looks like a second hand store.

But, that's Michael and his music love affair in his own zone of comfort listening music room...his music library too. He is a pro audio reviewer for Stereophile, and the master over @ Analog Planet.
His room is a total mess in dire need of reconditioning.

I think that before he switch speakers he should invest the money in hiring an acoustician.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In Michael's room there is a 20dB swing between 50Hz and 200Hz. ...From the top peak to the lowest dip (19dB from the graph). That's a big swing. Michael needs to use REW and some acoustic room treatments and some quality judicious room correction EQ. I think. His room is in need of "correction".
It looks like a second hand store.

But, that's Michael and his music love affair in his own zone of comfort listening music room...his music library too. He is a pro audio reviewer for Stereophile, and the master over @ Analog Planet.
His room is a total mess in dire need of reconditioning.

I think that before he switch speakers he should invest the money in hiring an acoustician.

Bob,

You would get similar measurements from most rooms and systems of WBF members. We know since long that this type of simple measurement is not relevant to most audiophiles, and when seen in isolation is misleading in small rooms.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Well, I also still own original SF's and owned most of them - and yes, IMHO current ones do not sound like the originals. If people just want a speaker that just has the "magic" of the old version, they will surely be disappointed.

Can I ask what exact speakers are you addressing?

I still have SFG's-- while I can see the "upgrade"(?) path seems mandatory in this ever changing idiom-- not always for the best sometimes my experiences as noted with the Memento,Palladio Etc

too forward and in ya face for Moi--sorry YVMV.

My whole disillusionment with the brand went downhill when after remembering the sound from the early Extrema's (wonderful!)

--then listening to this plodder at a CES a few years back:( I gather we were saved as it went to an early grave!

BruceD

CES The Show648.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,

You would get similar measurements from most rooms and systems of WBF members. We know since long that this type of simple measurement is not relevant to most audiophiles, and when seen in isolation is misleading in small rooms.

I know that Francisco. John Atkinson took those measurements in Michael's room...they are far from showing the ultimate truth.

I agree with what you said. It reiterates the importance of an acoustically tuned room and loudspeaker's overall dispersion. From that it gives us an honest perspective from audio reviews and their measurements. No two rooms are alike, so the speakers will always sound different.

Still, the Aida II is very attractive physically, in particular on the outside.
And two, @ $130,000 USD per pair, list, they are not for all audiophiles.
Auditioning other attractive speakers between say $20,000 and $200,000 is good practice habit.

Nonetheless I enjoyed the review, and I like Mikey, very. I've been reading his reviews for a very long time, so I am used to his style and reading between the lines. Like his reviews or not Michael Fremer is a great humorous human being, and he knows about his music stuff more than a lot of people.
As for turntables, he is a master in the art of analog exploration.
Even in the digital world he is experienced, highly knowledgeable, more than a lot of people.

Audio is fun because music matters.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I still have SFG's-- while I can see the "upgrade"(?) path seems mandatory in this ever changing idiom-- not always for the best sometimes my experiences as noted with the Memento,Palladio Etc

My whole disillusionment with the brand went downhill when after remembering the sound from the early Extrema's (wonderful!)

--then listening to this plodder at a CES a few years back:( I gather we were saved as it went to an early grave!

BruceD

As a previous owner of Sonus Faber Amati Homage , I don’t readily agree with dismissing all the current versions

The Il cremonese I have heard and thought it captured much of the original Amati, but took resolution much further, actually I really love that speakers sound qualities

I have only heard the original Aida not version 2 so cannot comment on the changes rendered but the original certainly through a spectacular soundstage and dynamics, and the room it was in was huge

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
As a previous owner of Sonus Faber Amati Homage , I don’t readily agree with dismissing all the current versions

The Il cremonese I have heard and thought it captured much of the original Amati, but took resolution much further, actually I really love that speakers sound qualities

I have only heard the original Aida not version 2 so cannot comment on the changes rendered but the original certainly through a spectacular soundstage and dynamics, and the room it was in was huge

Yes we all have our tastes and preferences --and I am in full support of your experiences as you state as indeed the situations,environment,mood(!) can influence ones impressions at, and over time.

Meanwhile I'll stick with my personal reasoning--until I hear any one of the current range to my liking.

Enjoy:)

BruceD

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

BruceD

View attachment 43851

Didn’t know you were a fellow GH owner. I think/know that the more recent versions...Momento, Evolution and the new Tradition really don’t hold up compared to Franco’s original. They cheapened the cabinet and the drivers...and the rest is history, as they say.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The rear of that speaker above...

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Didn’t know you were a fellow GH owner. I think/know that the more recent versions...Momento, Evolution and the new Tradition really don’t hold up compared to Franco’s original. They cheapened the cabinet and the drivers...and the rest is history, as they say.

Yep we are joined at the hip on that score-- SFGH's 97 still going strong:D

BruceD

Reactions: paolo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

BruceD

Awesome speakers...owned these. Some say there was a production change after the initial few years and the original years were slightly better...no idea. But with 1997, you might have those? Perhaps it is all the stuff of legend...who knows.

Nevertheless, if there was one speaker i would have kept in addition to our current X1/Grand Slamms, it would have been these simply for their remarkable sound and place in the pantheon of audio history.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

BruceD

Very nice! Mine are the last pair bought into the US (according to my dealer) and are from 2004.
Lloyd, I have heard early production GH’s and never heard any difference to my late model.Apparently in the later models SF actually used one stave less of the Linwood...but I never noticed that when looking at the earlier models.
One thing is for sure, imo, I cannot think of another stand mount speaker of any vintage...new or old, that I think sounds better than the GH’s, even to this day!
Bruce, do you use them with subs, if not, I do believe that they sound better with a great/fast sub,like the REL’s that I utilize . Even the amazing Extremas have to bow a little to the GH’s with subs.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Very nice! Mine are the last pair bought into the US (according to my dealer) and are from 2004.
Lloyd, I have heard early production GH’s and never heard any difference to my late model.Apparently in the later models SF actually used one stave less of the Linwood...but I never noticed that when looking at the earlier models.
One thing is for sure, imo, I cannot think of another stand mount speaker of any vintage...new or old, that I think sounds better than the GH’s, even to this day!
Bruce, do you use them with subs, if not, I do believe that they sound better with a great/fast sub,like the REL’s that I utilize . Even the amazing Extremas have to bow a little to the GH’s with subs.

No--At a European show I asked Franco if he recommended anything to "augment " the Bass response--he figured I meant Sub--

His reply-- "No Niente". ( Nix/nada!)

I've considered the Sub issue--but they are fine for the Music I enjoy-- they can deceive with Bass response-- I can rattle the China with Bela's Hippo:D!

Yes I've read that story-- I have a friend with 93's his are 6 slats as are mine.

I also had the Electa Amator V1 with the Esotar Tweeter--regret ever selling them:(

Good Listening and enjoy them,

BruceD

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
No--At a European show I asked Franco if he recommended anything to "augment " the Bass response--he figured I meant Sub--

His reply-- "No Niente". ( Nix/nada!)

I've considered the Sub issue--but they are fine for the Music I enjoy-- they can deceive with Bass response-- I can rattle the China with Bela's Hippo:D!

Yes I've read that story-- I have a friend with 93's his are 6 slats as are mine.

I also had the Electa Amator V1 with the Esotar Tweeter--regret ever selling them:(

Good Listening and enjoy them,

BruceD

Bruce, what Franco told you back in the day would make perfect sense for the time( and for the subs that were available then). Today, the new REL’s can be made to integrate seamlessly with the GH’s! No loss of purity at all, and an ability to play down below the 45hz limit of the speaker...
You would be amazed how great they sound with even more bass than the Extremas -and yet with no loss of magic elsewhere. I highly recommended you give it a try.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Bruce, what Franco told you back in the day would make perfect sense for the time( and for the subs that were available then). Today, the new REL’s can be made to integrate seamlessly with the GH’s! No loss of purity at all, and an ability to play down below the 45hz limit of the speaker...
You would be amazed how great they sound with even more bass than the Extremas -and yet with no loss of magic elsewhere. I highly recommended you give it a try.

Duly noted--thank you

BD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Even the amazing Extremas have to bow a little to the GH’s with subs.

Sorry, I have owned two pairs of Extrema's and a good friend owns Guarneri Homage with subs. There is no possible comparison - the Extrema's have a speed, dynamics , power, rhythm and slam that the GH can not even dream about.

One of my memorable listening experiences was listening to a VTL recording - the Louis Verdieu VTL10 Louis. The Extrema's played through a well warmed up Krell at realistic level filled the room with african instruments and voices in a 3D atmosphere. The Guarneri were never able to play decently this recording, we tried it.

Yes, I know that tigers and pussycats are both felines. But IMHO we can not compare a tiger with a pussycat ...

Curiously the Thesonusfaber (Fenice) has the essential drive of the Extrema, much more than the original Aida's. If my room was wider I would have got a pair that a friend sold sometime ago. But the TSF need a really large room (and lot of power BTW).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I also had the Electa Amator V1 with the Esotar Tweeter--regret ever selling them:(
(...)

Fortunately I did not do that mistake - my mint pair stays along the years.

And yes, IMHO Franco was right. :) Unfortunately for me ... :(

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry, I have owned two pairs of Extrema's and a good friend owns Guarneri Homage with subs. There is no possible comparison - the Extrema's have a speed, dynamics , power, rhythm and slam that the GH can not even dream about.

One of my memorable listening experiences was listening to a VTL recording - the Louis Verdieu VTL10 Louis. The Extrema's played through a well warmed up Krell at realistic level filled the room with african instruments and voices in a 3D atmosphere. The Guarneri were never able to play decently this recording, we tried it.

Yes, I know that tigers and pussycats are both felines. But IMHO we can not compare a tiger with a pussycat ...

Curiously the Thesonusfaber (Fenice) has the essential drive of the Extrema, much more than the original Aida's. If my room was wider I would have got a pair that a friend sold sometime ago. But the TSF need a really large room (and lot of power BTW).

Interesting, and you heard the Extrema's and the GH's through Krells...that says it all!!:eek:

( BTW, what subs were you using with the GH's???)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me, the GHs are a sublime speaker. I have heard the generation of older SFs and found (like the subsequent mid-level line below the original SF Homage line) that Krell power made them come alive in a way i could not get tubes or other amps to do. I could imagine the Extrema sounding great with the Krells as I think they thrived on a ton of high quality current/power.

The GH on the other hand sounded great with midpowered tubes and also the big Gryphon amp...but i absolutely could not make them work to my liking with Krell.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing