110V to 220V transformer

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Hi All,

I am able to buy a 220V amp that I want. The seller cannot convert it to 110V. Is there a unit that you all would recommend to convert 110V to 220V
that would be clean power? I guess I could have a 220 line run, but not sure if I have any room in my boxes.

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Knowing how much power it requires may help.

I had a step-up transformer for my previous monoblock amps, about 300 W power consumption each (600 W total; output only 15 W/ch -- push-pull triode class A). I used a standard 3000 W step-up transformer ($ 147 back in 1997), but the power also went through a Tice Powerblock II conditioner at the backend. The amps sounded very dynamic, but perhaps I should have over-dimensioned the step-up transformer even more (10 x rather than 5 x amp power rating).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi All,

I am able to buy a 220V amp that I want. The seller cannot convert it to 110V. Is there a unit that you all would recommend to convert 110V to 220V
that would be clean power? I guess I could have a 220 line run, but not sure if I have any room in my boxes.

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

Sometimes it is very simple to convert 110 to 220. In my amps voltage determination is predicated on the fuse positions in the chassis. My amp can easily be changed from one to the other by moving the fuses inside the amp

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What amp is that ?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What amp is that ?
Lamm is a matter of changing the fuse positions to change voltage. Only problem with my ML3 is that Vlad insists on being the one to move the fuses which is OK as the amp has to be turned over and the bottom opened to access the fuse panel

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My VAC's have that feature. I installed 220 downstairs just in case I decided to switch over to 220. I checked the line is 240v and the VAC’s are setup for that voltage.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I vote for running a 240VAC line.

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Thank you to all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing