Any Shellac 78 RPM Listeners ?

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Dear all,

Are there any shellac - 78 RPM listeners here ?
Or is there even a “dedicated WBF section” for such unusual formats ?

Thanks & Regards

Urs

PS : I’m not actually a shellac collector, but I do some archival work, such as analogue to digital transfers, etc, for this Project:
https://pool.publicdomainproject.org/index.php/Main_Page

Reactions: Andrea Raschèr

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear all,

Are there any shellac - 78 RPM listeners here ?
Or is there even a “dedicated WBF section” for such unusual formats ?

Thanks & Regards

Urs

PS : I’m not actually a shellac collector, but I do some archival work, such as analogue to digital transfers, etc, for this Project:
https://pool.publicdomainproject.org/index.php/Main_Page

Hi Urs,

No dedicated shellac forum on WBF but I do have a small collection and love the naturalness of some of those old recordings, specially direct to disc ones.

david

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Hi Urs,

.... love the naturalness of some of those old recordings, specially direct to disc ones.

david

David,

My words....amazing sound... and not just "for those days"
RE: "Direct to Disc": before the invention of tape recording, most - if not ALL !! - Shellacs were direct to disc .
(and today it's called the high-light of analogue recording. Hahaha) :cool:

Regards

Urs

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

My words....amazing sound... and not just "for those days"
RE: "Direct to Disc": before the invention of tape recording, most - if not ALL !! - Shellacs were direct to disc .
(and today it's called the high-light of analogue recording. Hahaha) :cool:

Regards

Urs

Yep, what was old is new again; specially with analog :).
david

Last edited:
Reactions: vinyl_mike

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
For "Shellac-Lovers"
Some of the records that I digitized recently. It's all very European and especially SWISS oriented.
Use the "on-line" track only for a quick "hearing" ; for serious listening download the FLAC file
The FLACs are 192/24 , but with the (wrong !!) RIAA curve, so the end user can apply the EQ -correction as she / he likes

https://sfpd.cultlib.ch/en/list.html?search="urs+marti"&tracks=true

e.g: Beethoven Piano Concerto no3 Artur Schnabel
https://sfpd.cultlib.ch/en/track.html?sfpdid=19-UM0001-02A -

Enjoy !
Urs

More info here : https://pool.publicdomainproject.org/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited:

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
David,
See attachment - I know I'm very mean:mad:...!

Recording Date is stated (assumed ?) as 1908 ;
the actuall production date of the record I don't know - it could be a later re-issue ?

Attachments

• 19-UM0017A His Master's Voice 054198.jpg
    19-UM0017A His Master's Voice 054198.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I unknowingly years ago bought some 78's at a Kiwanis store.

I have read not only do you need 78 rpm table, but a special cartridge/needle and maybe even a different phono section.

What are the A,B,C's of 78's?

Should I just donate them before I get into trouble and spend even more money?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
See attachment - I know I'm very mean:mad:...!

Recording Date is stated (assumed ?) as 1908 ;
the actuall production date of the record I don't know - it could be a later re-issue ?
You’re teasing now? I know where you live:D!

david

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
David,

Needless to say: you are most welcome to visit me in Switzerland... ;)
We poor souls over here in Europe are currently isolated from the real world by a nasty little bug. :mad:
and we are happy to meet Virus-Free guests....

@kach22i:
DON’t give them away before you had a chance to listen to your shellacs.. (read my signature !! )

Yes, beside the 78 RPM TT , you definitively need an appropriate (ideally a mono) cartridge and shellac stylus. (Some MM-cartridges allow exchange of a stereo stylus with a bigger shellac model.)

Regarding the phono section: in a first attempt, your normal RIAA phono stage works just fine, but for real good shellac replay, additional EQ- curves are an advantage.

Whereby – my “VERY Personal & Subjective Opinion”: An excellent shellac-only (mono) cartridge is of more importance than the choice of EQ-curves. But as highlighted: just my belief - others will strongly disagree..:)
(OK, I admit: I have the benefit of owning both: a selection of cartridges, and an adequate multi-EQ-curve phono-stage, AMR Phono PH-77)

Look here for some further info
https://www.esotericsound.com/

Regards

Urs

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
David,

Needless to say: you are most welcome to visit me in Switzerland... ;)
We poor souls over here in Europe are currently isolated from the real world by a nasty little bug. :mad:
and we are happy to meet Virus-Free guests....

@kach22i:
DON’t give them away before you had a chance to listen to your shellacs.. (read my signature !! )

Yes, beside the 78 RPM TT , you definitively need an appropriate (ideally a mono) cartridge and shellac stylus. (Some MM-cartridges allow exchange of a stereo stylus with a bigger shellac model.)

Regarding the phono section: in a first attempt, your normal RIAA phono stage works just fine, but for real good shellac replay, additional EQ- curves are an advantage.

Whereby – my “VERY Personal & Subjective Opinion”: An excellent shellac-only (mono) cartridge is of more importance than the choice of EQ-curves. But as highlighted: just my belief - others will strongly disagree..:)
(OK, I admit: I have the benefit of owning both: a selection of cartridges, and an adequate multi-EQ-curve phono-stage, AMR Phono PH-77)

Look here for some further info
https://www.esotericsound.com/

Regards

Urs
Thank you for the reply.

78's are on my wish list along with Reel to Reel.

I still have my Laser Disc player and Pro-Logic pre-amp processor, but it's no longer hooked up.

I'm a fool for antiquated technology.

I don't download music, no computer music or servers and don't know what half the stuff on the market is for.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Too bad they get thrown in the trash most of the time
I'm anticipating donating my collection to the Henry Ford Museum one day. :D

They have some seriously cool stuff there, whole mini-stage rooms of what a "pad" looked like in the early 1970's complete with wood lumber and concrete block book shelves with records leaning every which way. I think I saw a milk crate or two as well.

UEM

Dec 26, 2017

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I still listen to mine on a 1916 Victrola, fun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing