I can't believe I just bought a new...

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
DCM's are faster but not necessarily better but it's not about a few tenths of a second or even a couple of seconds faster, a good manual transmission is simply more fun to drive :)!

david
How fun was it driving a Shamal in Bangkok Khun David. :D

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
This thing remains in that position when the engine is running and only lowers when the car is off.

david
View attachment 48481
David,
There is a button (just to the left of the round dial the shuts the air vent) that lowers the screen, it looks like a box with an arrow on it. I have an A7 and press this button when I'm doing some serious driving.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,
There is a button (just to the left of the round dial the shuts the air vent) that lowers the screen, it looks like a box with an arrow on it. I have an A7 and press this button when I'm doing some serious driving.
Yours must be newer than the one I was given, they didn't have that button in that year.

david

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Quick update on the Camaro! I've been doing some autocross racing this year... one of the few things that's outdoors without many others around so both SCCA and BMW car club had a race series this year.

The car is still on stock tires, but I'm going to get some specialty tires and a few other tweaks for next year! Despite that, in races where my tires heated up enough (autocross is short duration vs track, so OEM tires don't heat up enough), I did pretty well. Here's a couple pics of the races and results. 2nd pic is from BMW event, so all non-BMWs are in "open" class, but I posted the BMW B-Street results, which is the same class my car is in. I would have got 3rd out of 20 BMWs, and I got 2nd in open based on PAX (handicap adjusted) times, but not on raw time as some cars are classed above mine. 1st results are from a larger format race at pike's peak international raceway, where I could put some power down and get up to ~80 mph in a few areas, this favors my car a bit more, it can get up to 90 or so very quickly. 2nd pic can be larger if you click on it then click on the pic in the new window...

All in all, this car is really amazing. It's the best car I've ever driven on the highway and can get 30 mpg cruising at 85 mph, and it feels very stable and secure at speed. Not the best car for tight parking garages though, lol!

I don't recognize the track, where is it at?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I don't recognize the track, where is it at?

That is Pike's Peak Int'l Raceway, it has an oval with an infield track. We're allowed to use all of it so we get a section or two on the banked oval. There are some concrete walls of course but course design makes it improbable to crash into one of them.

The Cayman S and GT4 that beat me both have excellent drivers, the GT4 owner is a racing coach. The Caymans look tiny next to my Camaro, lol... they are a much better size for autox. It's my 1st season, but I have a lot of experience driving in the Colorado mountains, and have had some capable AWD cars and trucks modified to go fast on rough roads.

Next season I'll be getting the GM Performance Parts rear diff tune, which is AutoX specific (if all nannies are off and speed is under 90 mph), solid aluminum rear subframe bushings, camber plates up front and a set of 315/35/18 Falken 660 tires (a new tire similar to Bridgestone RE71s). I've rode along in some different cars and it seems to be a big advantage to get tires that come up to temp quickly and work decently well when cold. AutoX doesn't usually move the tire temp readings from "normal" to "warm", let alone anywhere near "hot"... The OEM tires need to hit "warm" plus a bit to reach optimal grip levels, but when they do they are not far off of any other street legal track tire, coming very close to r-comps. They just aren't great for AutoX because of the slow warm-up. I'll have to move to a different class (CAM-C), but I think I can beat all the Mustangs there, and should leave most street class cars behind. :)

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Why DCT gear boxes are far better and faster than anything you can do with a third pedal.
its not always about being faster.. nor are they best suited for city driving.. I still prefer a manual over a DCT.. I would have opted for the manual if it were offered..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing