I can't believe I just bought a new...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks everyone, it's a lot of fun to drive for sure!

Thanks, the grey makes it a little less cartoon-like vs the brighter colors. :)

It's definitely longer and wider vs the STi, not by as much as you'd think, the Subie has grown over the years and is closer to mid-size now. I'd guess the Camaro is a few inches longer and a couple inches wider. Also, the Camaro has shrunk a bit, it's not small but it's smaller and lighter vs the pre '16 generation.

I've owned a few full sized trucks and a Suburban so the Camaro is no problem to drive around wrt size. It's windows are small though, which did take some getting used to but not more than 30 minutes or so. Once you get the seating position and mirrors adjusted it's not horrible, but it is an issue. IMO they prioritized styling over visibility a little too much.

The interior is roomier vs a vette and can fit much taller people but it's not roomy and the rear seats are very small. The front seats are amazing suede and leather Recaros but they won't fit wider folks. Also, the trunk opening is ridiculous, it's like a mail slot. It is a small car with a stretched out wheelbase and width.

The M6 is a beautiful car, I wouldn't let the dimensions hold you back, I don't think it'll take too long to get used to... there are far larger vehicles out there!

I agree with you about the Corvette. The new mid-engine is nearly Italian exotic car beautiful, so that should be a great car. I test drove a C5 and a C6 years back, and those Corvettes felt to me to be big on the outside and small on the inside -- exactly the opposite of how the SL feels to me and of what I personally like.

You have driven a Suburban so you don't have the antipathy toward large cars that I have. I rented a Chevy Tahoe for a long weekend up to the forest a few years ago and I had a miserable time driving that thing! I could not keep the car in the lane. I turned my head for a moment and I think I flattened a Volvo (big crunch and cracking glass) . . . or was it a phone booth? Later in the drive I accidentally hit something and suddenly I saw a stop sign and pole imbedded into the right side of the front bumper. I just can't drive anything that big. It just does not work for me!

The M6 is a very impressive car -- no doubt about it. But, for me, it was a little too big in every dimension. I have decided to split the difference between my SL550 and a new M6 . . . and to look for an SL 63!

I think your car looks a lot nicer than a Charger!

Reactions: DaveC

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The M6 is a very impressive car -- no doubt about it. But, for me, it was a little too big in every dimension. I have decided to split the difference between my SL550 and a new M6 . . . and to look for an SL 63!

Yeah I hear you. I told my wife something similar a couple of years ago:

Me: I want to downsize my car
Wife: And get what
Me: A 911
Slap!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You have driven a Suburban so you don't have the antipathy toward large cars that I have. I rented a Chevy Tahoe for a long weekend up to the forest a few years ago and I had a miserable time driving that thing! I could not keep the car in the lane. I turned my head for a moment and I think I flattened a Volvo (big crunch and cracking glass) . . . or was it a phone booth? Later in the drive I accidentally hit something and suddenly I saw a stop sign and pole imbedded into the right side of the front bumper. I just can't drive anything that big. It just does not work for me!

At least not with me in it :rolleyes: (or near it)

I drove a Nissan Armada as a rental, and it wasn't hard to get around in I thought. However the seat didn't go very far back and was a massive disappointment. The 380hp made it pretty nimble, vroom vroom!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I know this is about Dave’s new badass ride, but someone just parked a new Lamborghini Aventador where I usually put the trash cans out for pick up tomorrow morning. I hate it when that happens! View attachment 43727

perhaps it is 'bulk trash' day ?, only kidding ....... Reminds of a couple years back in Corning, NY on a side street, what's parked all by it's lonesome....a 'La Ferrari', with no-one around ?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I agree with you about the Corvette. The new mid-engine is nearly Italian exotic car beautiful, so that should be a great car. I test drove a C5 and a C6 years back, and those Corvettes felt to me to be big on the outside and small on the inside -- exactly the opposite of how the SL feels to me and of what I personally like.

I think your car looks a lot nicer than a Charger!

SL63 will be amazing I'm sure, but they aren't that small. A lot of perception of size of a vehicle is due to the visibility. Just for comparison, the Camaro is only 1" wider and 5" longer vs a SL63. However, for some poor visibility is a deal breaker and I get it, it makes it more difficult for the brain to place the boundaries of the vehicle relative to the outside world. There's no doubt this costs the Camaro some sales and I wish they had made the windows a little larger.

I drove a C5 Z06 and thought it was awesome, the new Camaro 1LE is similar in character, a little softer vs the vette. Once the mid engine vette comes out the overlap with the Camaro won't be as much of an issue. Charger is a much different car, more of an overpowered couch. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
This car looks like it’s been designed by Lamborghini. Congratulation sir. I am thinking of buying an American car for a change too.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thanks! They are worth checking out, I was really surprised how far they have come.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have decided to split the difference between my SL550 and a new M6 . . . and to look for an SL 63!

Love my SL63. It's nice and roomy, gives you a great massage and can bark with the best of them! Plus it's quiet when it needs be!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
SL63 will be amazing I'm sure, but they aren't that small. A lot of perception of size of a vehicle is due to the visibility. Just for comparison, the Camaro is only 1" wider and 5" longer vs a SL63. However, for some poor visibility is a deal breaker and I get it, it makes it more difficult for the brain to place the boundaries of the vehicle relative to the outside world. There's no doubt this costs the Camaro some sales and I wish they had made the windows a little larger.

I drove a C5 Z06 and thought it was awesome, the new Camaro 1LE is similar in character, a little softer vs the vette. Once the mid engine vette comes out the overlap with the Camaro won't be as much of an issue. Charger is a much different car, more of an overpowered couch. :)

That all makes sense to me. I agree that visibility matters a lot. I much preferred the visibility in the SL over the M6.

You are correct. The SL is not a small car. But that is precisely why I like it -- for a two-seater it is a big car on the inside, but I find it very manageable on the outside. If you lengthened it by adding + 2 seats in the back it would become an S63 which is a lot longer.

Your new car is great! Big, takes up room, scares the birds, wakes up the neighborhood! :D

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That all makes sense to me. I agree that visibility matters a lot. I much preferred the visibility in the SL over the M6.

You are correct. The SL is not a small car. But that is precisely why I like it -- for a two-seater it is a big car on the inside, but I find it very manageable on the outside. If you lengthened it by adding + 2 seats in the back it would become an S63 which is a lot longer.

Your new car is great! Big, takes up room, scares the birds, wakes up the neighborhood! :D[/QUOTE

Classic Ron, loved how you capture the spirit of the whole thing, these are after all the joyous and simple pleasures!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks! They are worth checking out, I was really surprised how far they have come.

I am ordering a big Hellcat Redeye. I want an American car for what they are ..brawn heavy gigantic big muscles with couch and futon as back seat. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Your new car is great! Big, takes up room, scares the birds, wakes up the neighborhood! :D

Yeah, it can... but there are 4 exhaust modes so I can choose stealth mode and not wake the neighbors if it's too early. I had a Ti exhaust on my last car, it had a resonator and muffler but it was still LOUD. I think my neighbors will like this car better.

I am ordering a big Hellcat Redeye. I want an American car for what they are ..brawn heavy gigantic big muscles with couch and futon as back seat. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

Lol, yeah the Challengers/Chargers are more classic muscle car vs the Camaro. The Hellcat is going to be a lot of fun! Make sure your local tire shop has some extra stock of rear tires in that size. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Update: So far so good! The car is really amazing and a joy to drive. It's chassis is simply awesome, handling is near perfect and makes 455 hp seem kinda tame, in fact to some that is it's biggest drawback... it simply doesn't have the drama a lot of other cars do at speed. You can go far too fast without realizing it.

I'd definitely encourage folks to check it out and compare it to BMW M-cars and Audi S and RS models. If you need to keep up with those new turbo motors the ZL1 model will do that. The SS 1LE is close but isn't as fast in a straight line vs some modern German turbo cars, esp w/awd... but none of them will keep up around corners. :)

It's also practical enough, it gets over 20 mpg average and can hit high 20s on the highway. There is enough trunk and backseat space for small loads and small people, and it carries bikes easily... without excessive fuel economy or handling issues like my STi had carrying bikes.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice! But how did we go from grey to blue

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Lol, yeah the Challengers/Chargers are more classic muscle car vs the Camaro. The Hellcat is going to be a lot of fun! Make sure your local tire shop has some extra stock of rear tires in that size. :)

Hi Dave,

Here is my Hellcat Redeye being shipped from US. This is my "family" sport car for going to mall doing grocery, eating icecream and do Burger King drive through. The rear seats are spacious for small Thai like me. The trunk I could easily put 6'3" Bonzo in there.

690F164E-6754-4A6D-A999-7905CFA0384B.jpeg

They seemed to forget to put stripes on for me. But I can do that over here.

Best,
Tang :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Nice! But how did we go from grey to blue

Google applied some magic and sent it back to me... the original is below. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hi Dave,

Here is my Hellcat Redeye being shipped from US. This is my "family" sport car for going to mall doing grocery, eating icecream and do Burger King drive through. The rear seats are spacious for small Thai like me. The trunk I could easily put 6'3" Bonzo in there.

View attachment 48473

They seemed to forget to put stripes on for me. But I can do that over here.

Best,
Tang :)

Congrats! That is going to be a lot of fun to drive, so much POWER! :) You could get a Camaro ZL1 1LE to go with it so you have an American muscle car for track or drag strip, all for less than one low-end Italian sports car. ;)

For stripes, IDK with that color... it looks good as-is. I think matte or satin black stripes that match the front splitter/rockers could look nice though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing