How do I know if my current AC is good or bad?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am currently experiencing a lot of noise on my ac line. Checked it with an Audio Prism Noise Sniffer. The sniffer doesn't display a read-out but you can definitely hear it through the machine. (...)

Do you choose the food in the restaurants you go by the smell? :) The Audio Prism Noise Sniffer is a mysterious machine without any specifications, I would never take buying decisions based on such device. It is an helpful device to locate and eliminate some types of interference, but no way a tool to check mains quality - in other words it is a relative tool, not an absolute tool. Probably it is tuned to the same RF frequencies as the Audio Prism Quiet Line Filters and will be partial to their use. As always, IMHO and YMMV.

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Well, I borrowed a Shunyata Denali and an inexpensive Surge X, plugged each into my outlets, then tested with the sniffer - dead silence. So I assume that my NCF outlets and high quality in-wall can still lower the noise floor even though a sniffer is picking up noise on the line?

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Microstrip, didn't see your post until now. That's a funny line re choosing my restaurant by the smell of the food. Roger, good advice to "just enjoy the music". On another note, I know that Audience and Shunyata are passive devices. What would you classify an AQ Niagara? I don't believe it's passive or active, so what is it? Thanks

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If it's bad AC, it wears a black cape and cackles maniacally.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well, I borrowed a Shunyata Denali and an inexpensive Surge X, plugged each into my outlets, then tested with the sniffer - dead silence. So I assume that my NCF outlets and high quality in-wall can still lower the noise floor even though a sniffer is picking up noise on the line?

Hi, did you do the hiss test on the speakers with the conditioner?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: RogerD

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
IMG-20190823-WA0123~2.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Hi CK,
Have you tried the filters on your outlets?
Presently I use two balanced power transformer units. All the dedicated lines are run through a wall unit from Equi=Tech. I also run my front end through a BPT 3.5 Sig Plus which is actually in line plugged into one of the dedicated lines, so it essentially is fed balanced power itself.
I also use line filters from Array solutions on my digital amps to 4 Subs. These help to reduce greatly digital from being fed back into the electrical system.
These Greenwave filters appear to be promising, have you found that to be the case?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CK,
Have you tried the filters on your outlets?
Presently I use two balanced power transformer units. All the dedicated lines are run through a wall unit from Equi=Tech. I also run my front end through a BPT 3.5 Sig Plus which is actually in line plugged into one of the dedicated lines, so it essentially is fed balanced power itself.
I also use line filters from Array solutions on my digital amps to 4 Subs. These help to reduce greatly digital from being fed back into the electrical system.
These Greenwave filters appear to be promising, have you found that to be the case?
I use PLiXiR & Furman balanced transformer conditioners and Lessloss C-Marc Firewall64 power filters in my audio system.

Not tried the Grennwave yet but a frd of mine bought 3 a month ago and said that they were quite good.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing