Votes: 4 21.1%
  • K. D. Lang

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Leonard Cohen

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Leonard Cohen was one of my favorite song writers and I especially like listening to him sing his own songs

But when it comes to Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley's rendition has always done it for me.

My buddy marty brought to my attention that there was a PBS tribute to Leonard Cohen and in this was a rendition done in 2005 by K. D. Lang (also a Canadian, like Cohen) in which she won the Juno award. I must admit that this version now sits high above that one done by Jeff Buckley

Here is KD Lang's version

and of course done by Cohen himself

I love Cohen's guttural voice. From my understanding when he recorded in his later years the microphone that he bought and always used was that used by the great Sinatra himself

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
None of the above. IMO, Marcy Playground's version is better. ;)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I like Cohen too much to not go with him. My first exposure to him was a friend that would sing "The Future" song by him, with a guitar, and like a pirate. From then on I have really liked him. He isn't so in your face on political stuff, more of an artists giving you an impression instead of a statement.

Steve, I enjoy his voice as well. What is funny is that he never liked it and that is why when he got older he hired backup singers.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
None of the above.

K. D. Lang's version is very masterful, but Allison Crowe finds the soul of the song.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't know why, but I find that borrowed singers never get the inflections quite the way Cohen does himself. They tend to go melodramatic or self conscious at parts, so I guess I like Cohen's versions better.

Steve Williams

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't know why, but I find that borrowed singers never get the inflections quite the way Cohen does himself. They tend to go melodramatic or self conscious at parts, so I guess I like Cohen's versions better.

+1!

Probably I also suffer from an hidden copyright bias :D, but I almost always prefer originals.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
And then there's something completely (well almost!) different;)

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My favorite still is the Jeff Buckley version. I recommend strongly to all Hallelujah fans this book: The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley & the Unlikely Ascent of “Hallelujah”

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'm fortunate to have a safety master tape (15ips 2 track 1/4") of the Leonard Cohen album "Various Positions" where Hallelujah is found.

Larry

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Leonard Cohen, specifically his version from”Live in London” great sounding vinyl. The Hammond organ and Mandolin on this version are wonderful.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
My buddy marty brought to my attention that there was a PBS tribute to Leonard Cohen and in this was a rendition done in 2005 by K. D. Lang (also a Canadian, like Cohen) in which she won the Juno award. I must admit that this version now sits high above that one done by Jeff Buckley

Steve, the Tower of Song PBS tribute was done in November 2017 in Montreal, one year after his death (not 2005). It was first aired on PBS in June 2018. I know these things are personal, but here are some of the most popular covers for the song:

Rufus Wainwright
U2
Brandi Carlisle
Imogen Heap
Dresden Dolls
Susan Boyle
k.d. Lang
John Cale
Renee Fleming

Of these and many others, I think there are only 2 artists whose performances reflect that they truly understand the song; Cohen himself and k.d. lang. The obvious love found and love lost theme seems to me to be relatively easy for a songwriter to write about or sing. But that's not why the song is a masterpiece IMHO. Capturing the essence of the phrase as Cohen applies it to mourning, guilt, penance, beauty, being broken, regret, catharsis, reconciliation and ultimately celebration is what Cohen is talking about. Cohen is telling us that LIFE is one big hallelujah! Cohen is mesmerizing when he sings it. lang makes me cry.

Steve Williams

Steve, the Tower of Song PBS tribute was done in November 2017 in Montreal, one year after his death (not 2005). It was first aired on PBS in June 2018. I know these things are personal, but here are some of the most popular covers for the song:

Rufus Wainwright
U2
Brandi Carlisle
Imogen Heap
Dresden Dolls
Susan Boyle
k.d. Lang
John Cale
Renee Fleming

Of these and many others, I think there are only 2 artists whose performances reflect that they truly understand the song; Cohen himself and k.d. lang. The obvious love found and love lost theme seems to me to be relatively easy for a songwriter to write about or sing. But that's not why the song is a masterpiece IMHO. Capturing the essence of the phrase as Cohen applies it to mourning, guilt, penance, beauty, being broken, regret, catharsis, reconciliation and ultimately celebration is what Cohen is talking about. Cohen is telling us that LIFE is one big hallelujah! Cohen is mesmerizing when he sings it. lang makes me cry.

I know when the PBS tribute was but the you tube video was published inn 2007 of a 2005 performance

oneandonlyck
Published on Apr 3, 2007
SUBSCRIBE 9.7K
K.D. Lang's Juno Awards in Winnipeg in 2005 Performance on Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. Thank you Ken!
SHOW MORE

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing