This is insane...the Quad ESL

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I just purchased a reconditioned reconstructed pair of Quad ESL

These are on higher stands and have a protection circuit

By chance my Weston push pull kt120 monoblocks drive them superbly

I have never heard a speaker that got the timbre dynamics so correct without any fiddling !
676759F5-98DF-4322-A561-BBF0824FFE92.jpg

Attachments

• 556EA416-665C-4E50-8D0C-56C82DB15C3A.jpg
    556EA416-665C-4E50-8D0C-56C82DB15C3A.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 422

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is in your big room, or another room?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
This is in your big room, or another room?

Ha ha Ked

Know previous owner photo

I have mine set up in bedroom which is about the size of a squash court with cathedral ceiling and cedar roofing :)

Quads are a third into the room

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Wonderful awsmone! Enjoy! I use a pair of Lamm 1.2 on my stacked Quad 57.

Interesting

I have Lamm m1.2,
At this stage the Weston’s are more immediate but need more time to evaluate only had three days

Vocals are stunning !

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Almost bought a pair this week myself! Looking forward to your opinions.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: Andrew S.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Very attractive pair Andrew you should try listening to them near filed too, wonderful speakers.

Enjoy!

david

Reactions: hvbias

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! Enjoy them!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Magnificent looking Quads. A great find! IMHO, the original ESL’s can still compete with just about anything out there in the midrange. Very few speakers are able to delineate the mids with such accuracy. Listen to a great violin recording and you are in heaven.
Some of the best SQ i have heard in this hobby was supplied in the past by Stacked Quads...and that was many years back. I recently heard a restored pair of the originals, with the stock feet, and still thought the midrange was to die for. Congratulations.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Magnificent looking Quads. A great find! IMHO, the original ESL’s can still compete with just about anything out there in the midrange. Very few speakers are able to delineate the mids with such accuracy. Listen to a great violin recording and you are in heaven.
Some of the best SQ i have heard in this hobby was supplied in the past by Stacked Quads...and that was many years back. I recently heard a restored pair of the originals, with the stock feet, and still thought the midrange was to die for. Congratulations.

I couldn’t agree more

But what has surprised me is the midbass on cello or double bass very natural
Also the top end is so natural on flute and woodwind and cymbals

Actually the bass down to 40 hz is excellent

I believe this is related to the extra height off the ground

As Art Dudley wrote they need 24 hours plugged in to come on song

Yes violin is wonderful on them

But I have always been told they don’t play loud

I have little problem going loud, and the room is large, with high ceiling

These are fully restored with protection circuits

I suspect they have the new thinner Mylar which means they play twice as loud

They are a delight

I have them in our main bedroom

They seem to work well in there

I am probably lucky the tube amplifiers I have work so well with them, as I am told it can be hard to find the right amp

These have 4 kt120 aside and twin rectifier tubes
I must try 5881 and el 34 in them as you can rebias for different pentodes

It has been suggested I try the Lamm m1.2 on them, which means hauling those big mothers upstairs
Will get around to it once have room set up better

For the price I paid I don’t think anything comes close at all

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
For myself, the Quads have enough bass that up till now, I have not been tempted to install the Gradient or Element subwoofers.

I have tried several amplifiers on them. Here’s my list of amplifiers I have used to drive them:
1) the old Spectral DMA 100
2) the Crosby modified Spectral DMA 50 monoblocks
3) the 47 lab gaincard
4) the Stax 80M monoblocks
5) the Audio Research D 76
6) the Croft 7 monoblocks

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Interesting

I have Lamm m1.2,
At this stage the Weston’s are more immediate but need more time to evaluate only had three days

Vocals are stunning !

I had a pair of Stax ELS-F81s that worked the best with a big push-pull EL34 based amp (Golden Tube Audio SE-100). It just allowed that speaker to bloom in ways that made others sound choked off. Part of that was due to the very high impedance of the speaker and so it loved voltage, which made the amp happy too. Maybe the Quad is similar in that regard?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I had a pair of Stax ELS-F81s that worked the best with a big push-pull EL34 based amp (Golden Tube Audio SE-100). It just allowed that speaker to bloom in ways that made others sound choked off. Part of that was due to the very high impedance of the speaker and so it loved voltage, which made the amp happy too. Maybe the Quad is similar in that regard?

This was my thoughts also, I will swap in el34 on weekend

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I still have my Stax F81 speakers. I remember trying my old Lamm M1.1 on them. The Lamms just shut down. The three amps I liked using on them were the Krell FPB 300, the Spectral DMA 100 and the Quicksilver 135.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I still have my Stax F81 speakers. I remember trying my old Lamm M1.1 on them. The Lamms just shut down. The three amps I liked using on them were the Krell FPB 300, the Spectral DMA 100 and the Quicksilver 135.

I haven’t heard the stax please send some pics

The Lamm m1.2 I tried briefly with one speaker sounded clean but struggled to play loud

I will give them a proper go in. Week or two

The Kt120 are powerful and seem to play loud, till the quads start to complain

I listened briefly this morning and the guitar and violin and piano were exquisite

Unfortunately one of my preamp tubes is dying so it was sort of mono +1 but a good test of speaker tonality/timbre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing