And then there were three...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc,

In my opinion, if someone owns full range speakers and does not like the way the bass sounds, there are four possible reasons:

1. The speakers are not optimally set up in the room or the listening seat is not located in the general area for smoothest bass response.

2. The speaker/room match is not optimal. The room may simply not be able to handle the low frequencies that that particular speaker can produce. Acoustic treatment may help.

3. The speakers are not designed properly.

4. The owner did not buy speakers that match his set of preferences.

To suggest that all full range speakers be designed with adjustable low frequencies is overlooking the other possibilities which I mentioned above. You, Steve W., and Tang have very different conditions and to suggest that there is some trend toward better sound by turning off subs is a bit strange. I can see why large sub systems like Mike's towers have user adjustability built in to fine tune them to a customer's room. JL Audio, Magico S and Q subs and others have these too because the designer wants them to be flexible enough to properly blend in with the main speakers. But in these cases, the speaker/room (with treatment) match must also be appropriate.

A 3 or 4-way speaker is a completely different thing. In these designs, I presume the designer tried to integrate the drivers as well as he possibly could. It is then left to the customer to properly locate the listening seat and to position the speakers for the best overall sound, assuming the room is appropriate in the first place.

Have you experimented much with your speaker and or listening seat locations for smoothest/best bass response? It seems odd that after all of your recent efforts with system improvements, isolation, power, room, that you do not seem satisfied with the bass of your Zu speakers. When did you first start noticing these issues?

+1

Excellent advice; very well-stated.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This thread makes little sense to me:confused:. Subs are almost mandatory...depending on the room size and type of speaker...IF you want extended and full bass. To state that there is a trend to do away with subs because some people have become convinced that in their particular circumstance and with their specific room and gear subs are not effective....is a stretch:eek:, IMO.
I use two subs in my very small room, after a LOT of experimentation they are blended so well that the ONLY way anyone knows they are in the system is when I turn them off. The key with subs is to be very very careful to make sure that they are hidden in the mix...which usually requires a very light hand on the adjustments of the sub.The type/size and design of the sub is also crucial IMO. For example, the REL subs ( which I use) are able to utilize a somewhat unique high level connection directly to the amp, which I believe adds an immense amount of ease to the blend..and therefore ease in making it disappear in the mix.
Years ago when I heard Steve's system, I felt that it sounded better without the subs...simply because his speakers are basically full range...and didn't need any type of additional assistance in the lower frequencies..in his particular room. If I remember correctly, his Wilson utilizes a large (15"?) bass driver as part of the design. With his room size, that alone was more than sufficient. My system utilizes a 5" mid/bass driver as part of the design...so it makes no difference what size of room you have...you ain't going to get deep bass under ANY circumstances.

As Peter A keeps on insisting, it's horses for courses...and I totally agree with him. Trend...Nah. A few systems getting corrected ( presumably) to sound more bass accurate in their particular owner's rooms...yes.:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The best sub integrations I heard were all DRC - Marty's previous DRCed, and a host of Datasat Dirac MCH systems I heard with multi subs and smooth distributed bass - maybe audioguy on this forum has that experience.

I too mentioned to Steve I liked his better with the subs off, and that has been the case with some others. Yes all the above were SS. However there is a guy in London with Avalon compass diamonds who has nicely done his crossover to B&W subs with Allnic Sets. I haven't played with his subs much as I go there often to play with the Brinkmann Balance and have been recently comparing Allnic sets to Vitus Signature monos and KR VA 200 (these rock). He has a 30*14 room, speakers pulled in 14 feet, one sub way behind the speaker and the other way behind the listener. Very nice smooth distributed bass.

Like Peter alluded, subs require a lot of room placement and can't just be plonked down and said it works or it does not. Ask Mike if he puts his sub towers randomly and to his main towers. Some with Verity have reported separating the top and the bass and placing it at different points as beneficial. With Zus you cannot do that.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Keith, message understood. If it helps, I do love my sound, but I'm allowed to have reservations, yes?

A certain top audiophile has gone thru multiple pricey dacs in 2 years, I don't see anyone saying to him "Oh just settle down, already! Finding good digital can't be that hard".

I really wanted this thread to be about others not me.

Maybe it's time for me to think out aloud a bit less.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Here you go spinning your wheels again. Honestly, you simply can't enjoy the sound in your room, no matter what. You've added new bass amps, grounding boxes, platforms, cables, spikes, tweaks, etc all with "amazing" results and yet still dislike the sound.

I think you need an intervention lol. . . .

Hifi *shouldn't* be this hard.

+1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Davey, I'm almost there.

My subs are now back in, come in only at 35Hz, level 2/10, what I think is appropriate setting for PEQ Freq and Gain.

Things sounding reasonably seamless, my tests of maintaining impact of snare strike and piano hammer, w greater body on the body of these instruments, is good.

Sorry guys for introducing a thread at cross purposes and it being more about my trials, I just thought an angle of me joining the subs naysayers was an amusing way to get others to chat about big spkrs w prodigious bass that don't have adjustability.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Marc, almost there?? Keep on experimenting...and you will get THERE. Dialing in subs takes a good amount of time...and patience. One key thing, IME, is to NOT get stuck with just one position that you try and make work. Moving the subs around the room can help greatly...they will work in one area better than another. We were told in the old days that subs are non directional...which is somewhat true, BUT they certainly play better in one part of the room than another. BTW, IF you are trying to dial in more than one sub, then IME, the job gets exponentially harder with the more subs that you have. It took me a great deal of aggro( UK word...LOL) to get my two dialed in- in my very small room.( actually over a month of adjusting).
BTW, when you say your 'subs'...are you actually talking about the drivers built into your speakers?? If so, you have extremely limited options with that design. I would say that if that is the case ( you are talking of the woofer drivers in your speakers)...then you really don't have subs in your room....all IMHO.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Davey, yes, inbuilt down firing subs.

I fully get the limitations of this. But I think you'd generally approve of where I've got.

I'm certainly more on top of PEQ settings than I was even a week ago.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Btw Keith, both Ked and I are in need of deep therapy. You know how damaged people attract each other. Well, he keeps seeking out my car crash threads.
The first rule of Audio Club is keep obsessing...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, yes, inbuilt down firing subs.

I fully get the limitations of this. But I think you'd generally approve of where I've got.

I'm certainly more on top of PEQ settings than I was even a week ago.

Actually Marc, I don't think you really do understand the limitations of that design; until, that is, you hear something with separate well integrated subs.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Davey, I've heard Apogees w bass extension to die for.

Bass ribbons truly flat to 20Hz.

No separate subs needed.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But I'm under no illusions my Zus would benefit from properly measured multiple location subs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Davey, I've heard Apogees w bass extension to die for.

Bass ribbons truly flat to 20Hz.

No separate subs needed.

What was the length of the room? Discussions about bass ignoring where bass goes from waveform to pressure mode are meaningless.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Duettas no more than 3' from front wall.
Room 17' deep x 11' x 8' approx. Seat pretty close to back wall.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

My options are
. . .

3- go for dedicated outboard non Zu Class A/AB subs.

. . .

I am aware of only one thing Bill Clinton ever said with which I agree: "When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging."

If you cannot find contentment presently with some setting of the powered woofers built into your speakers, then only madness lies in the direction of adding external subwoofers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, not going to happen, I was just listing possibilities.

I'm more likely to halve the overall length of my room, get a pr of Duettas from Henk, try them w my Nats, and if no go, find some interesting tuneful, fluid SS option, or a hybrid amp.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, not going to happen, I was just listing possibilities.

I'm more likely to halve the overall length of my room, get a pr of Duettas from Henk, try them w my Nats, and if no go, find some interesting tuneful, fluid SS option, or a hybrid amp.

Hybrids try lamm. Ypsilon no good. Aesthetix never heard, good rep.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Do you know which thread can one miss this on?

I have this vision of a Bob Newhart telephone conversation with Marc.
The Audiophile, it would be hilarious.
In the voice of Bob “so you’ve turned the subs off......” “and you’ve turned the Supertweeters off....”

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Do you know which thread can one miss this on?
Yep Ked, the one where you declare your system. No way am I raining on that parade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing