Spectral DMC 30S Surround light, manual and heat issue

yoyosamuel

Sep 6, 2018
Hi there, just registered to this forum and go through all the Threads. Great to be here.

1) I just noticed that my preamp DMC 30S has a surround light right above the volume control button, does it mean that it could act like a av bypass? And does someone know how to make it work?

2) I purchased my DMC 30s without box and manual, so can I download the manual somewhere or could anyone send a scanned copy to my email address?

3) I noticed that the DC output from the transformer is famous for its heat, is there any quick solutions since I don't want my 30s to be obsolete quickly.

Thank you very much and hope you enjoy the music.

All the best,

Samuel

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Welcome! We haven't seen manuals online, so perhaps you can call the factory. The surround/bypass can usually be activated in some (most? all?) preamps only for input 3, by holding the input-3 button for a few seconds.

yoyosamuel

Sep 6, 2018
Welcome! We haven't seen manuals online, so perhaps you can call the factory. The surround/bypass can usually be activated in some (most? all?) preamps only for input 3, by holding the input-3 button for a few seconds.

Thank you for your help, Ack. I am happy to be part of Spectral family. The 30s (Although old) is a great product.

yoyosamuel

Sep 6, 2018

Hi Ack, I have another question, do you happen to know the polarity of the balance input and output for spectral dmc 30ss? Which do you prefer in connecting cables in your system RCA or XLR?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Ack, I have another question, do you happen to know the polarity of the balance input and output for spectral dmc 30ss? Which do you prefer in connecting cables in your system RCA or XLR?

You should verify with the factory or dealers, because it may vary with the target market, with respect what pin2 and pin3 are; pin1 is alweays ground. I don't use XLR, and I can tell you, I did not hear a difference in my system with the 400s, and I no longer have MIT XLR interconnects to test with the 500s. They say the 500s sound quieter with XLR, and so do the 400s, but I could not verify it, probably because I have ultra low noise as is in my system. The dealer demonstrates the 500s with XLR, so I assume that's what the factory told them to use. I wish the manuals would discuss this...

yoyosamuel

Sep 6, 2018
You should verify with the factory or dealers, because it may vary with the target market, with respect what pin2 and pin3 are; pin1 is alweays ground. I don't use XLR, and I can tell you, I did not hear a difference in my system with the 400s, and I no longer have MIT XLR interconnects to test with the 500s. They say the 500s sound quieter with XLR, and so do the 400s, but I could not verify it, probably because I have ultra low noise as is in my system. The dealer demonstrates the 500s with XLR, so I assume that's what the factory told them to use. I wish the manuals would discuss this...

Yes, I find in the manual says that you can change the polarity by using the phase button in the front panel.

Ack, you mentioned late SS2 version, I currently have a SS2 on hand with serial number 30591, is it the late version?
And besides the SS2 label on the box, there are also a label of "service". Does it mean it has been refurbished or repaired?
I enclosed a picture when I open it up, everything seems to be fine but I saw black mark on every screws like preventing people to modify and the most strange thing is the control chip behind the contronl front panel. The "SS" mark after the DMC 30 have been black out. SL updated version?
Any idea of the reasons? 20180919221954.jpg

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My educated guess, based on the original unit I owned, is that your serial number does NOT appear to be of the latest significantly updated version; sorry! But you can ask the factory, I am just not sure if they will admit the preamp was significantly updated later on.

"Service" - not sure what it means, but I think your guess may be well founded.

Regarding the black markers on the screws, they are probably there to tell if others have taken the unit apart - nothing really unusual. I want to say this was commonplace back in the 70s, 80s, and maybe even 90s, where manufacturers would typically mark screws with red markers or other color, and I have even see wax! It's a little silly, since anyone can re-mark the screws :confused:

Regarding the blacked out thing on the sticker, I believe that's the control unit software chip, so I don't think it really matters. But you can ask the factory for details, though again, not sure how forthcoming they will be.

Yes, I find in the manual says that you can change the polarity by using the phase button in the front panel.

Ack, you mentioned late SS2 version, I currently have a SS2 on hand with serial number 30591, is it the late version?
And besides the SS2 label on the box, there are also a label of "service". Does it mean it has been refurbished or repaired?
I enclosed a picture when I open it up, everything seems to be fine but I saw black mark on every screws like preventing people to modify and the most strange thing is the control chip behind the contronl front panel. The "SS" mark after the DMC 30 have been black out. SL updated version?
Any idea of the reasons?
View attachment 43796

yoyosamuel

Sep 6, 2018
Thanks Ack, I've returned this unit to the seller coz it sounds strange and the high are way too much and lacks the color than the previous 30s showed to me. And the most important is this machine's powersupply hums when switched on...(I have unplugged everything else both from the machines and the wall plugs).
The blackout info should be "SL" since I found a photo from a SS with similar Serial Number. My guess is this SS2 is the very very early version (since previous 30S' SN is 4XX).

Anyway, 30 with different models took me a hard time to study and thank you for your support, Ack.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry to hear all that. People do strange things.

yoyosamuel

Sep 6, 2018
Hi Ack, For 30s and SL version which seems to have heat issue around the powersupply part to make them hard to remain it switched on for a certain longtime, is there any suggestion on placement of the machine or anything else (like open up the up panel; replace the up panel with a customed plastic one with holes...etc...)?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I can tell you I’ve been using a computer fan on top for decades and have had no issues. I elevate it with long screws and it gets the job done

yoyosamuel

Sep 6, 2018
I can tell you I’ve been using a computer fan on top for decades and have had no issues. I elevate it with long screws and it gets the job done

wow, seems that I asked the question to the right person then. Do you have a photo and does your late SS2 also need such treatment to prevent overheat?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Hi Ack, For 30s and SL version which seems to have heat issue around the powersupply part to make them hard to remain it switched on for a certain longtime, is there any suggestion on placement of the machine or anything else (like open up the up panel; replace the up panel with a customed plastic one with holes...etc...)?

I’ve had luck sitting one of these on top of my 30s during the summer months: http://store.antec.com/cooling/av-cooler.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing