First Man

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
https://youtu.be/O9Y7DTCn7Cc

From La La Land's director.

"First Man is a 2018 American biographical drama film directed by Damien Chazelle and written by Josh Singer, based on the book First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James R. Hansen. The film stars Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong, alongside Jason Clarke, Claire Foy, Kyle Chandler, Corey Stoll, Ciarán Hinds, Christopher Abbott, Patrick Fugit, and Lukas Haas, and follows the years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969. Steven Spielberg serves as an executive producer.

First Man had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on August 29, 2018, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on October 12, 2018, by Universal Pictures. The film received positive reviews from critics, with praise for Gosling and Foy's performances and Chazelle's direction."

Budget: $70 million

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
https://youtu.be/O9Y7DTCn7Cc

From La La Land's director.

"First Man is a 2018 American biographical drama film directed by Damien Chazelle and written by Josh Singer, based on the book First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James R. Hansen. The film stars Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong, alongside Jason Clarke, Claire Foy, Kyle Chandler, Corey Stoll, Ciarán Hinds, Christopher Abbott, Patrick Fugit, and Lukas Haas, and follows the years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969. Steven Spielberg serves as an executive producer.

First Man had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on August 29, 2018, and is scheduled to be released in the United States on October 12, 2018, by Universal Pictures. The film received positive reviews from critics, with praise for Gosling and Foy's performances and Chazelle's direction."

Budget: $70 million

The same movie that refused to show Armstrong placing the American Flag on the moon??

Propaganda by exclusion. Another movie to avoid.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Did you see the film @ the Venice film festival? ...I wish I had, till then I won't make any judgement. But I can read from the ones who saw it.
_____

"But the flag is in the scene and is visible in multiple shots, according to those that have actually seen the movie."
_____

I've re-forested, planted over two million trees in the past; you'll never see me planting a single one, but I can show you today some of them forests, with trees over eighty/ninety feet tall. They make some good canopies, and canoes.

You like fishing. ..Smelling the air over the mountains and oceans?

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Did you see the film @ the Venice film festival? ...I wish I had, till then I won't make any judgement. But I can read from the ones who saw it.

Will never see it. I like my historical films to be just that. Purposely leaving out Armstrong’s planting of the flag is revisionism and despicable. Tired of Hollywood and their pathetic ways.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Expand your horizons, read more about the film director, the book it is based on, the real story of Neil Armstrong, read from the people who saw it under the light.

The US flag is certainly on the moon, people who saw the film said that it was there in several shots.
They didn't see the actual planting of it because if you read what they said about the book you would understand the perspective, I think.

I will certainly see it when it comes.

* Would be nice @ IMAX in (((3D)))
_____

And the other thread about BLACKkKLANSMAN - Official Trailer [HD]
I agree with Jeffrey's latest post (#45), last paragraph.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Expand your horizons, read more about the film director, the book it is based on, the real story of Neil Armstrong, read from the people who saw it under the light.

The US flag is certainly on the moon, people who saw the film said that it was there in several shots.
They didn't see the actual planting of it because if you read what they said about the book you would understand the perspective, I think.

I will certainly see it when it comes.

* Would be nice @ IMAX in (((3D)))
_____

And the other thread about BLACKkKLANSMAN - Official Trailer [HD]
I agree with Jeffrey's latest post (#45), last paragraph.

Great post, Bob.

Is it me, or does this guy Howie/ Priaptor come across as a very unhappy, sad, lonely and bitter old man! I almost feel sorry for him...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Great post, Bob.

Is it me, or does this guy Howie/ Priaptor come across as a very unhappy, sad, lonely and bitter old man! I almost feel sorry for him...

or maybe he is passionately proud of American achievements and resents trivialization of those things in the name of misguided political correctness. the current trend of Hollywoodizing of our heritage.

I suppose it depends on your values and where you stand. or whether taking a stand matters.

I will say that WBF is not where I want to see this discourse. but when movies with political messages/massaging get posted, comment about that is fair game. the current media environment precludes neutral commentary. there is little neutral ground to stand on. and if we allow PC comments, then questioning them has to be part of the picture too.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
or maybe he is passionately proud of American achievements and resents trivialization of those things in the name of misguided political correctness. the current trend of Hollywoodizing of our heritage.

I suppose it depends on your values and where you stand. or whether taking a stand matters.

I will say that WBF is not where I want to see this discourse. but when movies with political messages/massaging get posted, comment about that is fair game. the current media environment precludes neutral commentary. there is little neutral ground to stand on. and if we allow PC comments, then questioning them has to be part of the picture too.

Exactly on point.

I was going to expand on your comments but you said it all.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Me I'm all for expanding the mind, the intellect, the various views.
Mike said it nicely above, I have nothing about expressing opinion on films and music with all type of messages and views from their artists and directors. We're free to listen and watch what we want, and we can talk about it even if our views are the total opposite.

That other thread lost it when it became personal negative comments on people's places of living.

I got nothing against Howie for speaking his feeling openly, and he has lot to offer in this main hobby, plus plus plus. It was a small bump, we all survived, our emotions will get calm again and our words more refined towards other's choice on where we live.

Neil Armstrong is an inspiration for all mankind, he is an American, the first man to walk on the moon.
Nobody blame him for walking in the neighborhood of the moon.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Agree about the discourse, Mike. However, I would be willing to bet that neither of you has seen this movie, yet both of you are quite happy to decry it.
Instead of bashing works that you have no experience with and assuming that it is politically motivated ( I don’t know where you get that idea from, except if you believe that BiG Bad Hollywood is nothing but politically motivated and attempting to stifle free conservative thought ...if you are Howie that is!)..why not actually see the movie, and then bring forth your opinions.
Like Bob correctly pointed out, might not be a bad idea to have an open mind...No?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing