Power Strips and Cats

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I have two cats and three power strips. The ones I’m using seem to allow trespassing cats to dislodge the bigger wall warts and sometimes power cord plugs too. It’s maddening to suddenly discover the TV won’t turn on. Or the receiver. Or the Roku is down. I have to pull back the carpet, roll out the heavy stereo console, crawl behind into the wire jungle and try to find out where the problem is. Then it’s a nightmare to roll the big console back without rolling over cords and cables.

Obviously, I need a better system. (And no, I’m not going to give away my cats.)

I’ve got a lot of gear. I need 11 receptacles.

I spotted one on Amazon I thought might be suitable. It’s 4’ long allowing the receptacles to be widely spaced, nearly 4” apart, which suits my very long stereo console. I could mount it on the back wall and it’d be off the floor. So long as the plugs don’t fall out....!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8NVPBI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FUVOF581Y39S

Will I be compromising my audio quality with something for the shop? My first thought is it can’t be any worse than the cheap ones I already have.

I don’t have any so-called audiophile receptacles. Would it help if I bought one for the power strip?

I did look into power strips with so-called hospital grade receptacles but they are usually limited to 4-5 receptacles and no surge protection.

Then I came across Brickwall. They make a 10 receptacle rack mountable power strip. It’s $429 instead of less than $50. One huge advantage is that my cats can’t walk on the power cords anymore as this unit would be situated in one of the bays of my stereo console. It has highly regarded surge protection. The receptacles are closely spaced leaving no room for wall warts.

https://www.brickwall.com/products/10-outlet-rackmount-audio-surge-protector

I’d welcome your opinions.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing