Visit to Alma Music and Audio

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
One thing that has struck me whenever I've listened to YG and Magico is that they need to be listened to at "proper" volume to come alive. If you drop below that the energy drains from the music, which I suspect is due to the sealed-box design common to both.

Yes, you need a strong amp for both.

I find it amusing that people keep comparing YG and Magico as if they are in the same camp - i find them quite different sounding and believe @bonzo75 does as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
SETs w full range true high efficiency/steady impedance spkrs have any number of shortcomings. But this is not one of them, hence my personal choice.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, you can't afford these Sonyas. But will they remain an aural reference that yr final choice will be compared against?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I find it amusing that people keep comparing YG and Magico as if they are in the same camp - i find them quite different sounding and believe @bonzo75 does as well.

Yeah, same here. Too many people making those compares, some PMing they don't like Magico so might not like YG or the other way. Some discussions on the gon too

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yeah, same here. Too many people making those compares, some PMing they don't like Magico so might not like YG or the other way. Some discussions on the gon too

I think the Series 2 is a huge step up for YG with the new hybrid tweeter - if you get to hear the latest Sonja 2.2, would be curious your thoughts.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I think he is only referring to a particular trait of not sounding lively until pushed. Not particular sonic characteristics...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I have been comparing them to some extent myself. I think they are an interesting comparison because they have several design parameters in common (heavy, inert aluminum cabinets, size, tweeters on or near the top, pricing, need for amp power, sensitivity) and because prospective buyers tend to articulate similar sonic objectives and because I personally think they have certain sonic characteristics in common.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Keith, you can't afford these Sonyas. But will they remain an aural reference that yr final choice will be compared against?

He can look for a demo/used pair.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have been comparing them to some extent myself. I think they are an interesting comparison because they have several design parameters in common (heavy, inert aluminum cabinets, size, tweeters on or near the top, pricing, need for amp power, sensitivity) and because prospective buyers tend to articulate similar sonic objectives and because I personally think they have certain sonic characteristics in common.

I think its just because they both use aluminum cabinets.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think he is only referring to a particular trait of not sounding lively until pushed. Not particular sonic characteristics...

I know its what you want to believe too, but go hear a pair of Sonja 2.2s on Dagostinos and it will surprise you.

I do feel Magico (and Rockport for that matter) have issues with low level energy/microdynamics as stated on my speaker thread.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Keith, I don't have much experience with YG, but I have heard many Magico speakers in different system settings and they all sound quite different to me, yet I keep reading people talking about the "Magico" sound. The early S series, the Q series, and the older wooden speakers all sound so different from each other. I do think the S mk 2, the Q3, and the M Pro share some common traits, much more than the older models.

I guess my point is, if the YG speakers all sound very similar, what Magico series do people think the YGs sound like? And I wonder if people are actually describing the whole system sound instead of the speakers per se. People tend to use similar gear with the speakers in part because of dealership offerings.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
One thing that has struck me whenever I've listened to YG and Magico is that they need to be listened to at "proper" volume to come alive. If you drop below that the energy drains from the music, which I suspect is due to the sealed-box design common to both.

I've found out that is not true with YGs. It is true only if your preamp is not driving the amp properly, and providing the gain necessary. to perk up the speakers.
With the ARC REF10, even at low volumes, the Hailey is very rich and full sounding.
Magico fans and Magico haters alike are invited to come and check out the YG line in our store, then tell us if you found them similar or not :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing