Thinking of upgrading my Aesthetix Callisto sig to Eclipse

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
A longtime lurker here but infrequent poster, I’m hoping for some help from the community. I currently have an Aesthetix Callisto signature pre-amp and am thinking of upgrading it to current Eclipse status. I can’t find much on the interwebs on the new Eclipse and wonder if anyone has experience with the upgrade or with the pre-amp in general?

I currently have the single power supply version and use a variety of NOS tubes; Mullard 6922, tele 12AX7, etc. I don’t think I want to go to two power supplies for reasons of space and complexity.

I am also considering adding the remote control and wonder if anyone has had experience in this regard?

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had my Callisto upgraded to Eclipse. I have no regrets whatsoever. I say go for it. The improvement was across the board. I use Siemens CCas and Red Tip Tele 12 AX7s. I partner with Aesthetix Atlas Signature Stereo amp into Endeavor E3s in my bedroom.

Note on Atlas, I tried rolling the 6sn7s. Tungsols, Brimars, some rare Russkies sent to me by Knut Cornils which were great in another one of my preamps, in the end the stock tubes supplied were best.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks very much for the info Jack.... did you get the remote? If so, do you like it?

Also, it’s curious about your experiences with the 6sn7’s. I ended up using some RCA black plates that I really like. Tried the red bases and thought they sounded rolled off on the top and just kind of blah. Those two tubes seem critical to the sound of the pre-amp.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi O, I didn't get the remote. I just asked for the upgrade which was done locally by the local distributor. I didn't even know there was another remote until you said so. :) Embarrassed :D

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I did not upgrade a Callisto - but I did upgrade a Signature Io with 2 supplies and volume controls to Eclipse. Very painful break in process for me - probably still breaking in. At least 400 hrs required to start to feel the magic consistently.

You will be rewarded but it will be painful until you get there.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I did not upgrade a Callisto - but I did upgrade a Signature Io with 2 supplies and volume controls to Eclipse. Very painful break in process for me - probably still breaking in. At least 400 hrs required to start to feel the magic consistently.

You will be rewarded but it will be painful until you get there.

Thanks Kcin.... that’s most definitely some serious time with the CD player on repeat - lol. The new caps they install look like monsters so I was figuring I’d be in for a ride.

I wonder if either of you gentlemen (or anyone else in the community) have had the chance to compare your pre-amps with any of the other top dogs? - realizing the IO is a phono stage of course..... I’ve had my Callisto signature for a few years now and still really like it but I’m not super sure if I should look in other directions or go for the upgrade.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Thanks Kcin.... that’s most definitely some serious time with the CD player on repeat - lol. The new caps they install look like monsters so I was figuring I’d be in for a ride.

I wonder if either of you gentlemen (or anyone else in the community) have had the chance to compare your pre-amps with any of the other top dogs? - realizing the IO is a phono stage of course..... I’ve had my Callisto signature for a few years now and still really like it but I’m not super sure if I should look in other directions or go for the upgrade.
There is always something better out there :) Its been awhile since I have heard the Callisto on its own. As far as the Io is concerned I have heard regularly: Thoress, VAC Phi Master, CH Precision with one and two supplies, Atmasphere MP 1, ARC Ref phono 3 ,VTL 7.5 and phono (although not for a long time) and Tenor Phono.

CH is very clean and masterful as well as flexible, ARC very big sounding and Tenor is my favourite of the bunch for a variety of reasons. If I were to invest in the change- Tenor would be it. Their whole line up is quite phenomenal but you are looking at over $170K for linestage and matching phono. Having said all that, I have not found the desire to toss the Io against all these contenders. So you should go and listen or better yet try to get an audition in your home if you can. Aesthetix at this level is a commitment to tube rolling (not necessary but better for sure in quietness and flavour), heat and space. I think its worth it others may rightfully disagree.

There may, in fact, be a better choice than the Callisto for your sonic priorities its a voyage that you will have to spend quite some time on to discover if an alternative is better at this level. A good dealer is important for this class of equipment.

I have not heard latest from AN Japan, or other top European contenders as they are difficult to find in my market. Have fun on your journey.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing