A small upgrade in speakers... The CLXArt a true masterpiece!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
You’re looking a bit happy there RJ, and the picture says a thousand words... magic stuff! Really happy for you man.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Cheers for that Maties.

I set them up only around 9:30pm last night, started some tunes from 10pm all the way up to 5 this morning! I just couldn't shut it down, it was as if I was in a transfix... I've got only one more day off before heading back to the grinder but this time will be different because all those extra hard hours I've put it, finally paid off!

Speaking of smiling from the first note I actually cried, again! I don't usually do this at all but this huge amount of stress and anxiety just melted away and I started thinking of loved ones... Then I was wondering why the heck didn't I come across these before, rather than spend ridiculous amounts on other gear that were totally unnecessary. I guess life teaches us things in the most bizzare way... Better late than never!

The silhouette of that person, is not the good wife, in fact that's the naught doughty... Wifey was fast asleep at that time and woke up at 5:30am to find me covering the CLX's with the special black cloth as I do when not listening. Her reaction pretty much summed it up...
uh oh, look out!
Cheers to all, and enjoy your music.
Woof, woof, RJ

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hello to all,
This has truly been one of the most important aspects of my audio journey, I simply cannot find all the words to describe how this experience has been but all I can say is that this is nothing short of marvelous, spectacular, outstanding, and just magical!

Hats off to ML and their design team, they have put so much effort and research into a full range stat of this nature, that its performance is beyond anything I've heard and owned to date, and driven with CJ amplification, oh my goodness gracious!

The CLX's arrived today in the evening, it took 3 of us to unload, unpack and carry into the house. Dam are they heavy! The top panel side is manageable but the end of the base, is actually heavier on one side and my arm was nearly giving way at one point... (it's certainly a good thing I still pump some iron!)
The packing is outstanding and the workmanship is absolutely top notch! Not only are they stunning but also the way they've been assembled and constructed is nothing short of SOTA! What a huge difference from other stats I've owned, nothing comes close. This is real top level stuff, similar to other designs utilizing heavy bracing techniques, there's nothing short of mediocre or average build quality whatsoever. Everything from top to bottom including the input terminals tightening collars are superb!

I have positioned the CLX's at the exact same spot where I had the Maggie's previously and managed to get around 4&1/2 ft from front wall and around 2ft from the sides. Distance between each panel is about 6ft, and listening position is 8.5ft, closer to 9ft. This is the only aspect where I would have preferred the listening position to be further away but boy do these massive things just disappear into thin air! It simply leaves the entire soundstage and performers in full affect right there! You just want to get up and shake hands with each one of them, it is actually quite spooky!

I'll try to make this short as possible since I think I can go on for eternity...
1. Bass: I wanted to start with bass because I think this is actually one of its strongest points. It is tight, with superb control, start stop acceleration is nothing short of marvelous and most of all it is lightening fast! It is so fast that it comes and goes before you even think about the bass, superb, superb superb!

2. Mid-range: the depth and slam in the mid-range is like no other! It can play very loud and at the same time go so soft like a butterfly flapping its wings and suddenly rise again like a thunderstorm lightening bolt! The integration and openness of the mid-range is superb, nothing short of magical!

3. The highs: the top end is well extended such that it will reproduce whatever is on the recording, nothing else! It is so smooth and extended, it's highly accurate and provides every single minute microscopic detail of the recording. Therefore, if the recording has it then the top end extension delivers!

In summary:
The lifelike performance the CLX's deliver have to be obtained with the right amplification. And as we all are on the same level here when it comes to high-end, these things are just phenomenal with CJ amplifiers, the LP125m's are simply cruising... KT120's on the monoblocks chirping out 125w of pure awesomeness! oh boy oh boy oh boy...

My room is not large and does not do full justice to these huge stats. However, they are so well designed, with the right placement and a few adjustments, plus some critical tweaking, they can disappear even in small rooms. They are not overpowering in any way whatsoever, they don't boom, there's no overhang of bass or smudgging of the imaging at all. What you have here is a full range stat that delivers anything and everything on the recording as faithful as possible.

It is nothing short of "a true work of art!"

Bravo and we'll done to ML, they have hit a home run with this one and shattered all barriers of stat design, refined it to its finest and produced a true electrostat transducer like no other.
Cheers to all and thanks a million for all your support and great advice. It certainly was a pleasure!
Cheers to the CLX Art!
RJ

One of the great advantages of dipole panels is that if you sit close you may only get direct sound

This is one reason they have such transparency, compared to cone speakers

Bass down to where they cut off is very crisp

The main issue I have ever had is lack of midrange warmth, this can be effected even more so by the room and positioning , so it may not be an issue in your room

You must try putting the bass panels close to the wall
As there is little lateral interaction this can boost bass response in a room read the CLX review in Hifi world

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, I did notice some of these traits when they were at the dealers place mostly driven by SS amplification. Midrange warmth was lacking a bit, highs were glarey or bright I may add, however bass was a bit more firm, with a massive thump to it and very agile.

Some of those amps used were: Jeff Rowland, Mark Levinson, Accuphase, Luxman, and Pass Labs. Out of all of these, it was the Pass Labs that provided superb level of detail and balance. My good mate Mr. K, who drives his CLX's with Pass Labs and a tube pre by Leben, is a wonderful combination and this was the sound / system that helped me to finalize my decision on the CLX's.

Overall, I'm a tube fanatic and have always been passionate towards stats and tubes or ribbon panels. Back in the day, our last reference system was based on the wonderful Apogee Diva's driven by the awesome CJ premier 8's and ART preamp. That was definitely a special kind of sound that transported me to a special place, which was basically at the venue, right in front of the live event!

That was quite a long time ago and since then, I've been through numerous systems and although they have provided great tunes and wonderful music, none of them were able to acquire the truth in sound, without adding the artifices. Capturing every detail on the recording, provided it's on the recording, and delivering this material in its purest form possible, is like no other.

With the CJ monoblocks that mid-range warmth is so profound that it has an enveloping sound to it. It wraps around your listening position and delivers a full dynamic soundstage with effortless detail and depth, plus the musicality is superb! The drive factor of these monoblocks are just perfect for the CLX's. From the moment I got them and drove the Ethos with these, I knew straight away where I was headed next...

Although the Diva's could play very loud, and driven with 300w of tube power, they handled that quite easily, the CLX's can go equally loud. However, I don't listen loud at all, rather at a level that is realistic, life like and has natural sense of impact and scale. With this particular combination, I couldn't think of owning anything else, it is an absolute marvel to listen to and an absolute joy to spend time with all of the musicians performing at their best.

Having good recordings is obviously an added advantage, as for some of the mediocre recordings, I don't even bother, rather just sit back and enjoy the music.

As I have previously mentioned in my post about the exact attributes of the CLX's being driven by CJ's tube power amps, there is absolutely nothing I would change at this point, as I cannot flaw it in any way whatsoever. The only difference that I can possibly imagine is when we do move into a much larger space, the soundstage and level of depth plus detail will be further enhanced by the added space, and this will be my final choice in speaker placement, since I would have to carefully rethink the exact positioning for optimal performance.

I'm looking forward to that next step, until then I will continue to appreciate what these amazing stats can do in fairly small to average sized rooms, nothing short of marvelous! Cheers, and thanks for your message. RJ

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes, I did notice some of these traits when they were at the dealers place mostly driven by SS amplification. Midrange warmth was lacking a bit, highs were glarey or bright I may add, however bass was a bit more firm, with a massive thump to it and very agile.

Some of those amps used were: Jeff Rowland, Mark Levinson, Accuphase, Luxman, and Pass Labs. Out of all of these, it was the Pass Labs that provided superb level of detail and balance. My good mate Mr. K, who drives his CLX's with Pass Labs and a tube pre by Leben, is a wonderful combination and this was the sound / system that helped me to finalize my decision on the CLX's.

Overall, I'm a tube fanatic and have always been passionate towards stats and tubes or ribbon panels. Back in the day, our last reference system was based on the wonderful Apogee Diva's driven by the awesome CJ premier 8's and ART preamp. That was definitely a special kind of sound that transported me to a special place, which was basically at the venue, right in front of the live event!

That was quite a long time ago and since then, I've been through numerous systems and although they have provided great tunes and wonderful music, none of them were able to acquire the truth in sound, without adding the artifices. Capturing every detail on the recording, provided it's on the recording, and delivering this material in its purest form possible, is like no other.

With the CJ monoblocks that mid-range warmth is so profound that it has an enveloping sound to it. It wraps around your listening position and delivers a full dynamic soundstage with effortless detail and depth, plus the musicality is superb! The drive factor of these monoblocks are just perfect for the CLX's. From the moment I got them and drove the Ethos with these, I knew straight away where I was headed next...

Although the Diva's could play very loud, and driven with 300w of tube power, they handled that quite easily, the CLX's can go equally loud. However, I don't listen loud at all, rather at a level that is realistic, life like and has natural sense of impact and scale. With this particular combination, I couldn't think of owning anything else, it is an absolute marvel to listen to and an absolute joy to spend time with all of the musicians performing at their best.

Having good recordings is obviously an added advantage, as for some of the mediocre recordings, I don't even bother, rather just sit back and enjoy the music.

As I have previously mentioned in my post about the exact attributes of the CLX's being driven by CJ's tube power amps, there is absolutely nothing I would change at this point, as I cannot flaw it in any way whatsoever. The only difference that I can possibly imagine is when we do move into a much larger space, the soundstage and level of depth plus detail will be further enhanced by the added space, and this will be my final choice in speaker placement, since I would have to carefully rethink the exact positioning for optimal performance.

I'm looking forward to that next step, until then I will continue to appreciate what these amazing stats can do in fairly small to average sized rooms, nothing short of marvelous! Cheers, and thanks for your message. RJ

They will breathe better in a large room, and are less effected by room resonances than cones

But the resonances will drop down in pitch
This may assist your bass, but may rob you of some midrange warmth onlytime will tell

Sounds like the the CJ are a greater match

The warmth of the CJ is probably a plus here

I have always found tubes work better with the CLX than SS, as transformer output tubes love the impedances of the bass panels

I have read the pass labs are a great match but only ever heard twice as pass is rare in Australia

Goldmund also works well with CLX this is the only solid state I have spent time with CLX and worked well much to Joes surprise

The best tubes I ever heard with my CLX were phi 200 running monoblocks so musical

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

RJ, You sound like one happy furry dog!

What are the dimensions of your current listening room?

What is the configuration of the speakers and your listening chair in that room? How far are the CLXs from the front wall? How far is your head in the listening chair from the rear wall? How far are you sitting from the speakers?

White Bimmer

Oct 21, 2012
Congrats on the CLXs, RJ. FWIW, my daughter has called me Big Guy since she was little...she is Little Girl (LG).

After owning Monolith I's upgraded twice to get III's for about 20 years, I had an opportunity to get a used pair of CLXs locally. Have had them for several years now and have loved every minute of listenership. I should mention that I have powered both M-L's with Pass amps starting with XA150 monos on the III's and early on the CLXs. I have recently upgraded the amps to XA60.8 monos. I have always felt that there is somethink magical between Pass and M-Ls!

Re bass, I too have a smallish room (12' x 18') with speakers on the 12' wall and spacing about what RJ indicates. The room does open into 2 other spaces...a foyer and a dining room so it does not overload. For laughs I tried a Velodyne F1200 subwoofer with the CLXs and was blown away by the improvement in bass. After reading numerous articles on using stereo subwoofers, I replaced the Velodyne with 2 HSU MK15-MkII subs which currently are crossed over at ~60Hz. Had not realized what I was missing until the Hsu's were in the house! Getting frequencies below ~50Hz of the CLXs made a profound improvement.
On certain pieces of music with deep, heavy bass, I did notice some activation of room nodes but nothing really unbearable. Interestingly, at the recommendation of a fellow audiophile, I put the now extra Velodyne behind the listening position. For all intents and purposes the nodes are pretty much gone!

My most recent discovery that made a HUGE difference in my system was trying the Anticable Level 5 speaker cables after trying his Level 3 and numerous other speaker cables. The increased detail, relative position of performers, width and depth of soundstage and, what I call, immersion in the performance was incredible but confirmed by other listeners. Not inexpensive but the L5 definitely are worth considering.

Happy listening...

Reactions: sefischer1

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Room dimensions

RJ, You sound like one happy furry dog!

What are the dimensions of your current listening room?

What is the configuration of the speakers and your listening chair in that room? How far are the CLXs from the front wall? How far is your head in the listening chair from the rear wall? How far are you sitting from the speakers?

G'day Ron, nice to hear from you again. Yes very very happy, in fact happy is an understatement, more like "bananas" would be more appropriate!
Room dimensions, I mentioned this before in an earlier post, I'll try to recall approx:

Overall room dimensions are around 14ft wide X 30ft length X 8ft high.

Speaker placement is 4&1/2 from front wall, nearly 5ft actually, with about 1&1/2ft from sides. Angled in as advised by the owner's manual.

Listening position is around 8-9ft, with a sofa in the middle. Right behind the sofa is the dinning table, followed by the kitchen area then some cupboards /storage areas and then onto the back wall, extending towards another room and the back entrance. Therefore, after all signals reach me, they would continue behind until reaching the rear wall which is probably another 15ft behind me...
I refer to this as the shoe box, since everything is in one area -lounge-dinning- kitchen and cupboards... Oh I forgot, little fish tank towards the right half way down from the right channel. The little love jazz!

Cheers mate, RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That sounds like a very good room, 5 ft from wall plus length and width

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Congrats on the CLXs, RJ. FWIW, my daughter has called me Big Guy since she was little...she is Little Girl (LG).

After owning Monolith I's upgraded twice to get III's for about 20 years, I had an opportunity to get a used pair of CLXs locally. Have had them for several years now and have loved every minute of listenership. I should mention that I have powered both M-L's with Pass amps starting with XA150 monos on the III's and early on the CLXs. I have recently upgraded the amps to XA60.8 monos. I have always felt that there is somethink magical between Pass and M-Ls!

Re bass, I too have a smallish room (12' x 18') with speakers on the 12' wall and spacing about what RJ indicates. The room does open into 2 other spaces...a foyer and a dining room so it does not overload. For laughs I tried a Velodyne F1200 subwoofer with the CLXs and was blown away by the improvement in bass. After reading numerous articles on using stereo subwoofers, I replaced the Velodyne with 2 HSU MK15-MkII subs which currently are crossed over at ~60Hz. Had not realized what I was missing until the Hsu's were in the house! Getting frequencies below ~50Hz of the CLXs made a profound improvement.
On certain pieces of music with deep, heavy bass, I did notice some activation of room nodes but nothing really unbearable. Interestingly, at the recommendation of a fellow audiophile, I put the now extra Velodyne behind the listening position. For all intents and purposes the nodes are pretty much gone!

My most recent discovery that made a HUGE difference in my system was trying the Anticable Level 5 speaker cables after trying his Level 3 and numerous other speaker cables. The increased detail, relative position of performers, width and depth of soundstage and, what I call, immersion in the performance was incredible but confirmed by other listeners. Not inexpensive but the L5 definitely are worth considering.

Happy listening...

G'day mate,
Yes, certainly do agree on the Pass Labs combination, with ML's they are like no other. Which, in fact makes me wonder why the heck in the past ML's used to always be featured with big Krell amps. That combination was around for nearly 15 years, and now it's McIntosh! I sincerely don't think Mac is any good with ML's. Perhaps on other systems, maybe ribbons or Dynamic driver types but definitely not stats. Just my 50cts experience...

I can see where added bass may benefit towards a more enhanced performance, no doubt. However, for me with the combination of the CJ monoblocks running KT120's, the bass is quite deep, articulate and very agile. I'm extremely pleased with it and don't intend to change it in any way, as for me it's the "truth in sound" just as ML claims!

I've always used CJ amplification in one form or another, and have ventured away from it many years ago with Manley & VTL but then came back full circle to very fine monoblocks once again. The next step at this point is to consider the preamp but I am still yet to come across one that can out-perform the humble pv15 to around that 50-60% mark in improvement, then to me the expense is definitely justified.

Until then I'll enjoy to the fullest, as time goes by towards 2019/20, I'm very eager to learn what CJ would be offering then.

BTW, excellent choice with the XA series, simply superb amplifiers!
Cheers mate, and have a good one
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
That sounds like a very good room, 5 ft from wall plus length and width

G'day Bonz, how's it going mate?
Have you finalized your system yet? Trust you come across something to your liking and listening pleasure.

Yes, regarding the room, Roberto also mentioned the same thing, saying it was pretty good for CLX's, although I still call it the shoe box...
Everything seems congested in here, with all the furniture and rolled up rugs etc. I'm not sure why the Quads and Maggie's looked much larger or felt larger, especially the Quads. Although the CLX's are much taller they simply disappear!

In our new place, I'll have around two-three times of more dedicated space, therefore I can adjust speaker placement and positioning more accurately and according to ML specs. For the time being, this space is a marvel even at low volume towards the wee hrs in the morning, which I enjoy to great lengths.
Cheers mate, and do let me know how your system is coming along.
All the best, RJ

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Panels and their bass or lack thereof is a complicated subject. I recall a certain reviewer used the Magnepan for bass in his hybrid speaker system. If you are talking about extension the CLX only goes to around 60hz. In the olden days a subwoofer was below 30hz. The question is how does CLS handle the bass it does reproduce. In my mind {ear} it was just so much cleaner than anything a cone could do. This is why it was so difficult to match a sub to the CLS. Many claim subs only "muddy up" the CLS bass. It is why Soundlab,for the most part,does not even try. It may appear thin when matched to cone woofers but not to the real thing.
I recall when my dealer showed me a picture of the original Sequel that crossed over at 250hz. It just did not work for me. I listened when they came in.

Subs have come a long way since the CLS days (launched over 30 years ago!). Subs like the better Rels and JL Audio are as good if not better quality low bass than many (most?) speakers can delve out. Plus with the amount of controls, subs can integrate with stats, ribbons and the best cones if set up properly.

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
I've found the CLX to be tolerant of room position. In my case, they're positioned on the short wall with asymmetrical side walls. I sit about 7 ft from them, with 5 ft between them, and 3 ft behind them to the wall. My rear wall is some 20 ft behind me. This seems to work because there are very few boundary reflections with the CLX. 20161230_100108_scaled.jpg

Reactions: bonzo75

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Very nice one Sefischer1!

Beautiful set up, especially with those awesome Pass Labs amps, stunning stuff mate. I'm sure you're getting an equal equally stunning performance from those Pass amps, probably one of the very best SS designs to fully drive the CLX's to full potential effortlessly.

I would be excited to have a listen but not sure if you're close to Aus Melb at all...
My good mate Kostas, who was the main person responsible for me ending up with the CLX's, drives his pair only with the XA30.8. Rated at just 30w pure class A, it drives those CLX's unlike anything I've ever heard! I think SS class A really grips them.
Superb stuff mate, enjoy
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I've found the CLX to be tolerant of room position. In my case, they're positioned on the short wall with asymmetrical side walls. I sit about 7 ft from them, with 5 ft between them, and 3 ft behind them to the wall. My rear wall is some 20 ft behind me. This seems to work because there are very few boundary reflections with the CLX. View attachment 45559
Hey mate, I was wondering what kind of preamp are you using along with the Pass Labs monoblocks? Are you using a tube preamp by any chance, if so what model /make? Sorry if I missed it...
Very interesting to learn, especially from another CLX owner. Cheers mate, RJ

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Hey mate, I was wondering what kind of preamp are you using along with the Pass Labs monoblocks? Are you using a tube preamp by any chance, if so what model /make? Sorry if I missed it...
Very interesting to learn, especially from another CLX owner. Cheers mate, RJ
I've been using a Levinson 32 preamp with phono option as well as a Nagra VPS. They just don't make anything like the 32 today and I've come to rely on its' functionality. I've also owned and liked Accuphase electronics.

Last edited:

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Very nice one Sefischer1!

Beautiful set up, especially with those awesome Pass Labs amps, stunning stuff mate. I'm sure you're getting an equal equally stunning performance from those Pass amps, probably one of the very best SS designs to fully drive the CLX's to full potential effortlessly.

I would be excited to have a listen but not sure if you're close to Aus Melb at all...
My good mate Kostas, who was the main person responsible for me ending up with the CLX's, drives his pair only with the XA30.8. Rated at just 30w pure class A, it drives those CLX's unlike anything I've ever heard! I think SS class A really grips them.
Superb stuff mate, enjoy
RJ
I'm very pleased with the PASS class A amps. I previously had: PASS XA-60, Luxman MA800, Classe M600, BAT VK150se, Accuphase A50. I've found that I've liked the MOSFET class A biased units the best and that anything over 50W with guts was more than enough in my listening space.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I've found the CLX to be tolerant of room position. In my case, they're positioned on the short wall with asymmetrical side walls. I sit about 7 ft from them, with 5 ft between them, and 3 ft behind them to the wall. My rear wall is some 20 ft behind me. This seems to work because there are very few boundary reflections with the CLX. View attachment 45559
Because the reverberation time of dipoles is different if you sit relatively close as you are u may well get little influence from room down to 100 hz or so

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Because the reverberation time of dipoles is different if you sit relatively close as you are u may well get little influence from room down to 100 hz or so
100 Hz would be a wavelength of about 10 ft. Luckily the CLX barely goes down to about 70. I've successfully mated them with a subwoofer which was blended in at my listening position through the use of an RTA and calibrated mic. Using recordings, we're only guessing. Once set with the RTA, I can make modest level adjustment to suit my taste and listening responses.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The CLX will go lower than 70hz but it is dependent on distance from front wall and floor bounce and ability of amplifier to provide voltage into those high bass panel impedance

Although I too have used subwoofers it does destroy some of the effects of having a dipole

On my CLX you can adjust the bass panels, do yours have that and if so is it set correctly if your bass only goes to 70 hz

Attachments

• DA17E316-E6C6-48F9-A531-89E051216C9D.jpeg
    DA17E316-E6C6-48F9-A531-89E051216C9D.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 10

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing