Why No Treble and Bass Controls on High-End Audio Pre-amplifiers?

rsrzr

Jun 22, 2017
who says there aren't tone controls in high end preamps? I just purchased a new Mcintosh preamp with tone controls/equalizer.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
But there is no “flat.” The recording is the idiosyncratic tonal balance subjectively determined by the recording engineer. When we play something back flat –– with no tone controls –– all we are doing is hearing and implicitly blessing the subjective recording decisions of the engineer. There is no “true neutral” to be reproduced.

I agree that there is no flat. Everything audiophiles do is a "Tone control" -- change cables, change amplifiers, change speakers, reposition your speakers, etc. All of these influence the way the sound is reproduced in your room. We make these changes because we like the way the change sounds better than what we had before. So I would say that if your preamp has tone controls (e.g. luxman) then by all means use them if you like the way the music sounds with them turned left or right.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
My D’Agostino Momentum pre has tone controls. Over the last couple of years, I probably have used them half a dozen times.

hifitommy

without having read all the pages of responses here, i think it is a near necessity to have some form of tone control AVAILABLE. i do so feel that everything that can be done to get good and satisfactory sound from your system ant then only apply eq.

some musicians like Robert E. Greene (violinist) of tas find it to be mandatory to have that control. he uses a Z Systems eq to correct recordings and progbably every one he plays. i too use my tone controls on my SP3a1 to add that slight bit of slam to my limited LF of my Fried Model RIIs. i am between subwoofers but that will soon be changed.

as time passes, controls that were once considered to be essential are eliminated for lack of customer request and cost savings. personally, a mono, balance, and tone controls are, to me, essential. my friend used the balance control and when he was satisfied, it was like focus on an SLR camera, when its right, the stereo image SNAPPED into focus with imact.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
A pair of loudspeakers can have from 0.25dB to 1.0dB in level difference between the two speakers.
A balance control is essential. Plus the positioning in non-asymmetric rooms.

Some speakers have their own level and tone controls.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I may be oblivious to certain driver discontinuity issues and I am not particularly sensitive to certain sound-staging effects, but Steve can attest that I know my center imaging balance.

Rather than a balance control I like the totally independent left channel and right channel attenuator method (e.g., Lamm, Aesthetix).

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The center phantom image should be rock solid. Correct speaker placement in my experience is very important and the clarity level of the system helps greatly. Lot's of work to optimize everything but well worth it.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Rather than a balance control I like the totally independent left channel and right channel attenuator method (e.g., Lamm, Aesthetix).

I have that too (Pass B1 buffer).

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I prefer to move the speakers. Left/right balance is never complete through adjustments.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Speakers should never be released if they differ from one another

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Speakers should never be released if they differ from one another

Agreed. Some do say that you can adjust balance by moving one speaker back or forward if there's a mismatch induced by acoustics (I've even read a manufacturer's manual stating as such), but in my experience it is best if the sound waves from both speakers hit you at the same time. If they don't, that may affect perceived dynamics, among others (perhaps I am deluded about that, but this is my limited experience). I always use laser measurements for distance.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree, but then there would be only good speakers in the audio marketplace.

Heh and then there would be no debates and no forums

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Agreed. Some do say that you can adjust balance by moving one speaker back or forward if there's a mismatch induced by acoustics (I've even read a manufacturer's manual stating as such), but in my experience it is best if the sound waves from both speakers hit you at the same time. If they don't, that may affect perceived dynamics, among others (perhaps I am deluded about that, but this is my limited experience). I always use laser measurements for distance.

Yes. Rooms do not always allow perfect symmetry.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This is a silly thread...
Let me get this straight, you are talking about a bit of music recorded by another person with different ears, in a different location mixed through "not your system" and applied to what ever format you choose and then spend countless time and money on wires/vibration control/acoustic treatments (which are in effect tone controls) DSP and whatever else and think you are getting closer to what the "intended sound" is when in reality you have no idea what the intended sound is. I am betting that if you brought these engineers to your home and asked them if this was their intention, they would probably giggle.:p

You can only go for the sound you like and enjoy the music.

There are a lot of measurably flat systems out there that sound, well.....flat.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The center phantom image should be rock solid. Correct speaker placement in my experience is very important and the clarity level of the system helps greatly. Lot's of work to optimize everything but well worth it.

This is wicked good on Mike and Steves systems.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For good fine tuning balance, good imaging, good soundstage, good speaker's positioning, good listener position, good depth, height, width, good overall uniformity, I use this music recording:

Sometimes I check with my laser to adjust where I want that triangular listening position. Other times I don't, it comes natural, from experience, just by listening attentively concentrated. I verified afterwards and I'm always dead on, almost, my eyes are very good @ pinpointing and evaluating equal distances to the quarter inch, almost to the centimeter. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Heh and then there would be no debates and no forums

Forums they exist to expand our knowledge from experience sharing.

* We sure take our music seriously; that's the only reason I'm here, plus the vast galaxies of the universe. ...And the Ferraris and Bugattis with $20,000 plus oil change every year, even when not driving.
Oh, and John Wick too.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I can’t remember when I have used my balance,hi and low tone or boost on my preamp. Maybe i’m a purist in not altering the recording,I just don’t find a need to use them. I do adjust the gain level on my multi speaker setup,but that’s about it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing