2017 BMW M6 Coupe

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do you ever get a hankering for something with high visibility? It can be rather relaxing to drive something that isnt a coup low to the ground with little windows.

No, never. The SL has great visibility for a non-SUV. The SL is the most relaxing and easy-to-drive car I have ever experienced. Yes, really. Gunther (the SL) is perfect for me.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you, Tang. What is a Rangie?

(I love my SL for a daily driver. It is the perfect car for me.)

It’s a Range Rover. Good car for your wife.

Tang :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Maybe where you are at they import better ones than they do in the US. In the US they're one of the worst rated vehicles. They're basically an expensive Dodge. Instead of a $35-70 oil change it's $800 for no reason other than they're designed to milk US consumers. They simply aren't made well. But in other countries you see them being used for serious out-door activity... I really doubt they're the same. They've had a long history of troublesome conversion to US markets because of different (but often equal) standards for certain specifications.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@Ron. You already have sport cars. Get a Rangie for daily.

My daily when I'm driving is a RR Sport HSE Supercharged. Not the new one that looks like a big Evoque. The model before. I love it but the stereo leaves much to be desired. Great suspension, no body roll. The sucka can fly. Yes Tang one of the biggest reasons I love it is the visibility. I feel like a helicopter pilot.

When driven it's a MB GL350 Diesel. It can fit the entire family if the van is in the shop. My favorite for my long golf trips. It can carry my set, my luggage and that of my driver and security.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ohhh, thank you, Tang. No, not for me.

I already have a Ford Escape (named Barney) specifically for going to the forest and for transporting amplifiers.

I do not like driving big vehicles of any kind. My wife would not like anything so big. She likes her Susie (a Volkwagen Beetle Convertible).

Finally I think Range Rovers are very surprisingly unreliable. I have seen more Range Rovers on flatbeds being taken to the shop for service than all other SUVs combined!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My daily when I'm driving is a RR Sport HSE Supercharged. Not the new one that looks like a big Evoque. The model before. I love it but the stereo leaves much to be desired. Great suspension, no body roll. The sucka can fly. Yes Tang one of the biggest reasons I love it is the visibility. I feel like a helicopter pilot.

When driven it's a MB GL350 Diesel. It can fit the entire family if the van is in the shop. My favorite for my long golf trips. It can carry my set, my luggage and that of my driver and security.

Ahh. You have the best looking RR imo Jack. The proportion is so right.

May be Brit cars don’t like American road. Four of my neighbors who use RR never found any trouble with them.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Maybe where you are at they import better ones than they do in the US. In the US they're one of the worst rated vehicles. They're basically an expensive Dodge. Instead of a $35-70 oil change it's $800 for no reason other than they're designed to milk US consumers. They simply aren't made well. But in other countries you see them being used for serious out-door activity... I really doubt they're the same. They've had a long history of troublesome conversion to US markets because of different (but often equal) standards for certain specifications.

I won't allow my used car manager to sell any Range Rover out of new car warranty. nightmare vehicles time and time again. don't stay fixed and dealers are crap and have to wait weeks for a service appointment.

I see why they are loved though; they drive wonderfully and are classy to look at. reminds me of certain girlfriends from another life. :)

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I won't allow my used car manager to sell any Range Rover out of new car warranty. nightmare vehicles time and time again. don't stay fixed and dealers are crap and have to wait weeks for a service appointment.

I see why they are loved though; they drive wonderfully and are classy to look at. reminds me of certain girlfriends from another life. :)

My next door neighbor has the big Range Rover. He's dumping it for a Taycan

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Ha! Love that.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Coming back to the BMW 6 series, I think the 635 csi in the 80’s is one of the BMW classics. For me the BMW has lost its heritage with their super modern looking wedge shape cars. The normally aspirated M engines are also very characteristically BMW unlike the super powerful modern ones..but emission does dictate technology.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Coming back to the BMW 6 series, I think the 635 csi in the 80’s is one of the BMW classics. For me the BMW has lost its heritage with their super modern looking wedge shape cars. The normally aspirated M engines are also very characteristically BMW unlike the super powerful modern ones..but emission does dictate technology.

Tang, I think it is fair to say nearly all brands have lost their chiselled looks from that era due to middle age spread in order to accommodate passenger and pedestrian safety, together with consumer demand for more refinement and features. Folded paper edges have become bluntened to resemble amorphous bars of soap. Turbo charging is not altogether a bad thing as it provides more midrange torque to carry all that extra weight. Even back in the day, my e30 M3 struggled to carry its weight and tall gearing unless given >4rpm everywhere.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After some fun research and test drives and yalking with Keith and Steve I want a 2019 SL 63. (We have not told Gunther about this yet, so please let's keep it quiet. Gunther is a good boy and he would be upset.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing