$150,000 phono stage

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
It features a built in security system: the box is so plain looking that potential thieves will never suspect it costs a lot.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There is something very wrong here.

The price is its raison d'etre.

If this cost only half as much, there would be only half as many buyers.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The sticker price of the AN-E Sogon shocked me much more. That product uses so much pure silver, it might have been instrumental in raising silver's price. LOL

Oh well, you know my stand on this. Peter Q can do whatever he likes and if he's making people happy with what he makes, I say go for it Pete.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
AN gear seems to be priced at any number that happens to flip into the reps head on the day that they happen to be receiving the updates.
Looking just at the case work, which really isn’t an arbiter of SQ, but at the price asked, should be a LOT more substantial than what is presented, I would really question where these folks are coming from. OTOH, if they somehow manage to sell just a few at the price asked,well maybe the rouse should continue?? Like I have stated so many times before, where these prices come from is such a question mark...why £110k and not £5m or why not $30k ...or ? ...after all these numbers really have nothing to do with reality, IME. So what gives?:confused:

Reactions: hbsry2001

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On another forum, I posted that I needed one of these for every room...and two for the garage:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...ional-elite-power-conditioner-ac-conditioners

This is also another of these product releases that IMO is an insult to one’s intelligence.
Still, if you believe P.T. Barnum...and it seems that many of these high end audio folk do, then I can see the logic.
At least the people at high fidelity cables picked a nice round number, lol:eek:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That's $2273 a pound.....a Ferrari is only $125 per pound....think about it.:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Question is if it improves the sound more than a AF0 plus SAT combination. Then it is worth the money

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That's $2273 a pound.....a Ferrari is only $125 per pound....think about it.:D

Yes, but the Ferrari is far less complicated to manufacture and has a much greater audience. Add to that the amount of engineering that goes into the Ferrari is much less..
And you have your answer....

Or not:rolleyes:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I heard the Hunt brothers were trying to corner the market on these.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Question is if it improves the sound more than a AF0 plus SAT combination. Then it is worth the money

The ATAE tape machine is not too expensive to explore then.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Tang,

After you get a Vyger to compare to the AS-2000, maybe you can get a UHA Ultima 2 to conduct the first true comparison to an A820.

Inquiring minds want to know!

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
55% nickel? Seems to be prices fairly, for the version with 80% nickel trafos i'd expect nothing less than a 200k pricetag.

But why do they still insist on treating their customers like morons with the "pure class A" nonsense? Is it not insulting?

A lukewarm review at best.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Silly.

It looks somewhat amateurish inside. I'm sure it sounds nice, but I cannot make sense of it. Maybe someone could explain why it costs what it does, and it would be legit, but from my perspective I don't get it.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
1 input...lol

MM only. you still need to buy a SUT.

I wonder what design Peter Q ripped off for this? then added some zero's.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
The sticker price of the AN-E Sogon shocked me much more. That product uses so much pure silver, it might have been instrumental in raising silver's price. LOL

Oh well, you know my stand on this. Peter Q can do whatever he likes and if he's making people happy with what he makes, I say go for it Pete.

Whilst I can never justify this - some people clearly can - perhaps the same people that buy silly price watches when your phone or a cheap lcd watch can do exactly the same for nothing.
In some ways the Phono Stage ought to perform better than another - a watch tells time - it can't do it better or worse - it can simply be prettier, and more convoluted at doing it. Before you ask I do have a good watch.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
I wonder what design Peter Q ripped off for this?

Circuit topology has never been important or original with AN and this is just part of their philosophy. The simplest textbook circuit would do and this applies equally to their dacs and power amps. The special sauce is in the actual implementation, where everything counts, especially the passive components and wire. The cheap-looking chassis as well. The end result is perhaps not to everyone's liking, but they have a lot of truly faithful followers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing