Equi=tech 10WQ Question

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I own an Equi=tech 10WQ and I am wondering if having balanced power could cause any issues with non-audio equipment such as lights or record cleaners, etc. Do I have to be careful as to what is on a circuit being powered by the 10WQ?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I own an Equi=tech 10WQ and I am wondering if having balanced power could cause any issues with non-audio equipment such as lights or record cleaners, etc. Do I have to be careful as to what is on a circuit being powered by the 10WQ?

David,

as you know I've had the same unit since 2010. I have 'dirty' outlets next to the 'clean' outlets on the 10WQ grid. I always use the 'dirty' outlets for non signal path, non system gear such as lights. I have plugged three different RCM's into the 'clean' 10WQ power grid without issue.

up to now never had one issue that I know about.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
David,

as you know I've had the same unit since 2010. I have 'dirty' outlets next to the 'clean' outlets on the 10WQ grid. I always use the 'dirty' outlets for non signal path, non system gear such as lights. I have plugged three different RCM's into the 'clean' 10WQ power grid without issue.

up to now never had one issue that I know about.

Thanks Mike. I don't see why other electrical devices would have an issue with balanced power but I don't know enough about it to be certain.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike. I don't see why other electrical devices would have an issue with balanced power but I don't know enough about it to be certain.

I've been told if something has the internal ground not connected correctly, it can cause a short when using balanced power. but you would be talking modified or DIY gear, not commercial products. in other words, it's possible for a piece of gear to work right in a conventional outlet, but have a problem with balanced. but that should not happen unless a mistake (not enough care taken to do it right) was made in how it's wired.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain it more that that, although many here likely can maybe shed more light on the subject.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've used the KLaudio cleaner and even a lava lamp into the circuit with no problems!!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is all good to hear since I have a 2nd listening room and I want to power it with the Equi=tech.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Do like Mike, dirty and clean outlets.

What you never want to do is mix the two. For example amplifiers into dirty and preamp into clean.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Do like Mike, dirty and clean outlets.

What you never want to do is mix the two. For example amplifiers into dirty and preamp into clean.

I guess my question is do I need dirty outlets, and if so, why?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I guess my question is do I need dirty outlets, and if so, why?

noise. keep it out of the system power grid. dynamics. retain and optimize it. refinement. get all you can.

so you isolate any non system uses to the dirty outlets......if you can. adding ancillary gear to your protected system power grid will never help, it can only be neutral or bad. so in a perfect world you would have both 'dirty' and 'clean' in your room.

another benefit is the opportunity to A/B gear with either separate grid to know what is doing what. if you try a change it just gives you valuable data points.

when manufacturers bring gear to my room to test a few have claimed their gear was impervious to power grid conditioning. wrong. 100% of the time it has been easy to hear the benefit of the 10WQ.....so far.

just my 2 cents, YMMV. and only what I've heard in mine and a few other Equi=tech systems. there are those that don't agree.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
As Mike says, you keep the power cleaner for the stereo by having dirty sockets. Any differential noise from lights is not attentuated by the Equi=tech when it is aldeady on the secondary side, for example.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks guys. Makes sense.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
a NEC balanced power rule:
647.7 (2)
on receptacle lable:
WARNING - TECHNICAL POWER
Do not connect to lighting equipment.
For electronic equipment only

note that Article 647 is a page and a half long.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing