10 sota digital rigs

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, i have decided to put down on paper 10 SOTA rigs for streaming hires files from Tidal, Qobuz and NAS from brands that i already auditioned and some that i yet have to discover.
I didn't put any speakers, you are free to suggest the ones you would like to hear with those rigs, mine are Thiel CS 3.7 .
Please vote for the 3 rigs that in your opinion have the best performance/price ratio.

RIG 1 : Aries Cerat Impera II Signature
Aries Cerat Concero 65 Signature
Totaldac d1-Twelve mk2 + d1-server

RIG 2 : Dan d'Agostino M400 monoblocks
MSB Reference DAC + preamp module + renderer

RIG 3 : Ypsilon PST 100 mk2
Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks
Totaldac d1-Twelve mk2 + d1 server

RIG 4 : Dartzeel NHB-18NS
Dartzeel NHB-108 model 2

RIG 5 : Dartzeel NHB-18 NS
KR Audio Kronzilla DX monoblocks

RIG 6 : CH Precision C1 + streaming board
CH Precision X1 PSU
CH Precision M1 stereo amp

RIG 7 : Ayre KXR-Twenty
Ayre MXR-Twenty monoblocks

RIG 8 : Nagra Classic preamp
Nagra MPS PSU
Luxman M900U monoblocks

RIG 9 : VAC Master line stage
Karan KA-S 600 stereo amp
MSB Reference DAC + renderer

RIG 10 : Boulder 2110 preamp
Boulder 2160 stereo amp
MSB Reference DAC + renderer

Enjoy:p

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Sorry this thread was to be posted in the "General Audio Forum".

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
My vote goes to CH.

My second suggestion would be Ypsilon without pre amp and with MSB DAC with preamp module.

My third suggestion would be soulution 511 with a tube pre amp..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I already voted with my wallet. Rig 6.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
You guys love CH:D

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
How about MSB Ref DAC or CH C1+X1 in Rig 1 ?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
From your list I have heard rig 2, rig 6, and rig 10. Like JackD201 I purchased the CH Precision D1/C1/X1 with streaming and USB boards. To me, it’s the best digital I’ve heard. As I’ve said here several times, an all CH Precision approach yields results better than any one component in a system. So if you decide on the C1/X1 with streaming, I would highly encourage you to hear an A1 or M1 with it. Yes, we guys love CH.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
From your list I have heard rig 2, rig 6, and rig 10. Like JackD201 I purchased the CH Precision D1/C1/X1 with streaming and USB boards. To me, it’s the best digital I’ve heard. As I’ve said here several times, an all CH Precision approach yields results better than any one component in a system. So if you decide on the C1/X1 with streaming, I would highly encourage you to hear an A1 or M1 with it. Yes, we guys love CH.

I'm surprised you still preffer the CH rig over a d'Agostino-MSB rig or boulder rig, d'Agostino amps beeing more recent gear.
I did audition at a dealer's a CH L1/C1/X1/M1 rig driving Wilson Sabrinas and did like it very much and strangely the big CH rig at Munich 2017 driving Göbel speakers didn't blow me away, perhaps show conditions.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I'm surprised you still preffer the CH rig over a d'Agostino-MSB rig or boulder rig, d'Agostino amps beeing more recent gear.
I did audition at a dealer's a CH L1/C1/X1/M1 rig driving Wilson Sabrinas and did like it very much and strangely the big CH rig at Munich 2017 driving Göbel speakers didn't blow me away, perhaps show conditions.

Oh no! I have to correct something in my response. After reading your response and then re-reading your original post you are asking about MSB REFERENCE DAC. I owned MSB Diamond DAC IV and auditioned Diamond DAC V in the D'Agostino system (and at home) and the Boulder 2100 system. My bad. I have not heard the REFERENCE DAC in these systems.

I was at the Munich show too. I thought the two CH rooms presented well. I really enjoyed the CH room with Stenheim Reference towers, subs, and CH/Stenheim external crossovers. Show conditions are difficult but I did find some good sounds at the show.

I originally had Wilson Alexia with my initial CH set-up (D1/C1/X1/A1). Very nice so not surprised that you liked the CH/Sabrina pairing.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Oh no! I have to correct something in my response. After reading your response and then re-reading your original post you are asking about MSB REFERENCE DAC. I owned MSB Diamond DAC IV and auditioned Diamond DAC V in the D'Agostino system (and at home) and the Boulder 2100 system. My bad. I have not heard the REFERENCE DAC in these systems.

I was at the Munich show too. I thought the two CH rooms presented well. I really enjoyed the CH room with Stenheim Reference towers, subs, and CH/Stenheim external crossovers. Show conditions are difficult but I did find some good sounds at the show.

I originally had Wilson Alexia with my initial CH set-up (D1/C1/X1/A1). Very nice so not surprised that you liked the CH/Sabrina pairing.

I really like CH but perhaps i'm afraid of having some kind of glare in the treble region on aluminum tweeters like the one i have on my CS 3.7s
Am i wrong to think that ?
For a 90K rig i'm not ready to live with such imperfections.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I really like CH but perhaps i'm afraid of having some kind of glare in the treble region on aluminum tweeters like the one i have on my CS 3.7s
Am i wrong to think that ?
For a 90K rig i'm not ready to live with such imperfections.

Investigate the Audionet Stern/Heisenberg amps getting great reviews as an alternative to CH or Dartzeel.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Investigate the Audionet Stern/Heisenberg amps getting great reviews as an alternative to CH or Dartzeel.

Too expensive.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Sorry, just checked the price. That’s an awful lot of commitment.
Just wonder how they stack up to the big M1?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Sorry, just checked the price. That’s an awful lot of commitment.
Just wonder how they stack up to the big M1?

CH is much more competitive, even d'Agostino is cheaper than Audionet flagship.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would vote for MSB Reference, Absolare Hybrid amplifiers and Rockport Technologies Lyra loudspeakers. This surely is a "final destination" system for a digital source.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I would vote for MSB Reference, Absolare Hybrid amplifiers and Rockport Technologies Lyra loudspeakers. This surely is a "final destination" system for a digital source.

Thanks Ron for your suggestion:)

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Guys any thoughts on the Dartzeel NHB-18NS - KR Audio Kronzilla DX monos combo ?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing