Studer A80 serial number

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
The answers are yes and yes.

The original owner would have a document from the factory with this information. But this was forty-five years ago.

Who did you buy your machine from? Can they tell you anything about its provenance?

Production records were of course kept at the Regensdorf factory. Those records were still accessible as recently as eight years ago. I'm unsure about the location of those records today, as the building that housed them was sold. There's a good chance that they no longer survive.

Because the A80 has collector appeal, people are scouring the globe for them, for the purpose of resale to collectors. Buyers can end up receiving something cobbled together from a collection of parts donor machines. This is becoming more common.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Are you asking if the date of manufacture is coded into the serial number?

The answer would be no. This was not done at Studer.

Since you sent me your serial number in a private message, my guess would be 1973, 74 or 75.

15IPS

Sep 14, 2018
Generally, the earlier A80's were MK I's in VU enclosure.
Later A80's were generally RC's with the more "modern" meter bridge with the larger VU's.
Later A80's also had the stereo/mono switch and LOC functions on the plinth. The record oscillator card was also revised for faster punch-in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing