Speakers after Vandersteen 7

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Perhaps this is not the place with lots of Vandy users. But if you know any ex-Vandersteen 7 users, would love to hear what they have moved to. Thanks!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Not the answer you are looking for but I am not sure that will ever happen for me. I have the Model 7s and the matching amps. I think I am set for a long time.

Are you planning on replacing your 7s?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Dminches, no plan to replace the 7s. No, I should add that the plan is actually always there, audio disease I guess, but I must say all listening sessions made me come back happily to the 7s. Wilsons up to the XLF and Q7mk2 did not do it. I was shaken by the Vivid a bit but in the end it was more different rather than better. Not that I found the 7s lacking in any area, but reading all the rave stuffs about this and that sort of made me wonder what else is there on the table. Must say the 7s remain on top of my long list of speakers throughout the past 18 years. Im glad to see that a fellow user feel the same.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Dminches, no plan to replace the 7s. No, I should add that the plan is actually always there, audio disease I guess, but I must say all listening sessions made me come back happily to the 7s. Wilsons up to the XLF and Q7mk2 did not do it. I was shaken by the Vivid a bit but in the end it was more different rather than better. Not that I found the 7s lacking in any area, but reading all the rave stuffs about this and that sort of made me wonder what else is there on the table. Must say the 7s remain on top of my long list of speakers throughout the past 18 years. Im glad to see that a fellow user feel the same.

With what amps are you driving them? I had a pair of Ayre MX-Rs (which were very nice) before getting the M7-HPAs which were a very big step up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Look at horns then :p

If you want to stay with cones look at Zellaton

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Look at horns then :p

If you want to stay with cones look at Zellaton

I have tried many horns and the Vox Olympian was the only one that stood out. I didnt want to explore it much further due to the price tag, but well if budget allows yes the Vox shall be mine :D.

Im exploring single driver, full range system as certain AER based system, despite the obvious flaws, connected me to the purity of sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have tried many horns and the Vox Olympian was the only one that stood out. I didnt want to explore it much further due to the price tag, but well if budget allows yes the Vox shall be mine :D.

Im exploring single driver, full range system as certain AER based system, despite the obvious flaws, connected me to the purity of sound.

Get someone to build you a horn. Spend time with him fine tuning it. Don't pay for these polished flashy cabinets

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
With what amps are you driving them? I had a pair of Ayre MX-Rs (which were very nice) before getting the M7-HPAs which were a very big step up.

Right now I drive the 7 with PBN. Richard is of the zero feedback camp but Im a bit different :rolleyes: I tried many amps with the 7, and unfortunately the tube designs on hand were all underpower (Ref110 and Airtight). I didnt want to heat up my room with 20 kt88 or 6550 so its all ss from then on. I will want to try the matching amp at some point.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

And the system is ...?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have either of you thought of the Vandersteen Sub 9? The Vandersteen website suggests the sub was originally designed to be part of a new flagship, but they discovered a pair of these subs went so well with the Vandersteen 7s, that they have kept it as a pair to be used with the Vandersteen 7s. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Have either of you thought of the Vandersteen Sub 9? The Vandersteen website suggests the sub was originally designed to be part of a new flagship, but they discovered a pair of these subs went so well with the Vandersteen 7s, that they have kept it as a pair to be used with the Vandersteen 7s. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I plan on doing this at some time. My dealer will let me borrow a pair to test them out.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I plan on doing this at some time. My dealer will let me borrow a pair to test them out.

Great! Do let us know when you audition...would be curious to know what you think. I suspect well dialed-in, it will be even more sensational in scale/ease.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Great! Do let us know when you audition...would be curious to know what you think. I suspect well dialed-in, it will be even more sensational in scale/ease.

I guess the concept is that the sub 9s cover the very low end, the built in 7 subs cover some of the frequency range that the woofers currently cover and that makes the woofers' job easier?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I guess the concept is that the sub 9s cover the very low end, the built in 7 subs cover some of the frequency range that the woofers currently cover and that makes the woofers' job easier?

In my own experience...even running the main speakers INDEPENDENTLY AND FULL RANGE, adding a big sub added a depth of scale and a super-grounded sense of foundation that I had not expected...and now could never give back.

In your case, you further benefit from:

- a bespoke design expressly made for your 7s
- potentially a crossover change? to relieve pressure on your main speakers?
- a dual-sub designed for your system which also has its own benefits which have been well documented by those with the know-how to setup dual-sub systems

Enjoy the trial!!!

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011

No plan for subs for me as I have space concern. Would love to hear how it improves sound @dminches, pls keep us posted.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Dminches, what area specifically did the m7hpa improve from the mxr? Did you use the matching preamp when you had the mxr? Thanks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No plan for subs for me as I have space concern. Would love to hear how it improves sound @dminches, pls keep us posted.

Can you stack the 7s on top of the 9? It looks like the geometry of each might allow this, but i dont know whether they were designed for this. If it works, that would make only a slightly larger footprint for the 7's with about 5.5' in height. Perhaps manageable?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Dminches, what area specifically did the m7hpa improve from the mxr? Did you use the matching preamp when you had the mxr? Thanks.

It felt like a veil was lifted. The music had more depth with increased detail.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Can you stack the 7s on top of the 9? It looks like the geometry of each might allow this, but i dont know whether they were designed for this. If it works, that would make only a slightly larger footprint for the 7's with about 5.5' in height. Perhaps manageable?

I am sure that the answer to that is no for many reason. I doubt the sub 9 cabinet is built to hold 300 pounds.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am sure that the answer to that is no for many reason. I doubt the sub 9 cabinet is built to hold 300 pounds.

I look at the dimensions and do wonder...the top of the Sub9 and the bottom of the 7 appear to be a potential match. Both are 20" deep and the bottom of the 7 is 14" across and the bottom of the sub is 17" across...but tapers as it rises.

Additionally, the Sub 7 net weight per speaker is 'only' 170lbs. The Sub-9 cabinet should be able to hold that...i have to imagine spread over 4 footers, that is 42.5 lbs per footer which is not bad.

Again, as you rightfully say, whether it was designed to be setup this way or not is another matter...but aesthetically it certainly looks doable.

You would know a lot more about Vandersteens...so i suspect you are right. But sure would be fun to enable space-constrained owners to be able to stack.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing